• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hermitage Club Advertizing on Trash Cans

Big Wave Dave

Was in Boston for Labor day and noted all the ads for the hermitage club. On trash cans.

thought this was downright hilarious. Trash does not evoke my sense of the high end lifestyle.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Looks like the marketing worked. You just started a Hermitage Club conversation on the intertrons!!! Subliminal message, "Stop smelling hot garbage and get away from the city to Vermont."

Were they the fancy solar powered compactor trash cans?

ThinkSnow

The founder of the Hermitage Club made his start as a trash collector, eventually owning his own business, and onto the Hermitage Club.

ThinkSnow

Prior to founding the Hermitage Club, Jim built the largest waste and recycling management company in North America without owning a truck. OAKLEAF Waste Management aggregated large national customers like Walmart, Target, GE and Wyndam Hotels & Resorts and leveraged that portfolio to become the single largest customer of the local trash hauler while providing a sophisticated management and reporting system for customer interface. Starting in 1995 with $40,000 in capital, the company grew quickly to about $160M by 2003 when private equity firm Charterhouse partnered with the company to finance several add on acquisitions. Over the next four years with sales approaching $700M, the company was sold to a larger PE firm in 2007 and has since been purchased in 2011 by its largest competitor, Waste Management (NYSE: WMI).

Domeskier

Waste management, huh? At least you know he'll be understanding if you're late with your dues.

mriceyman

Never owned a truck and reached sales of 160 mil? Genius if you ask me

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Never owned a truck and reached sales of 160 mil? Genius if you ask me

I've heard Jim Barnes give his grand vision of the Hermitage Club speech once when my wife and I skied/toured the property there a few seasons ago, and then got to watch him work a room full of mainly non members and their ski racer kids when my daughter had a race at The Hermitage Club last winter.

He has a natural gift for being able to really sell his vision in an enticing way, and then based on his past extensive track record of business successes, deliver on that vision he's selling to potential clients and/or customers. It's a trait that not very many really have, and it's something that when you see it in action, it becomes very easy to fully believe that what he's saying (and selling) is going to happen.

Even my friends that are members there, say that even the vast majority of the REALLY wealthy members, who have all had a great deal of business success and are usually quite good at leadership things, remark about how he (Jim Barnes) is exceptional at it

elks

I saw the same ads this weekend allover the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Based on the ads, I was expecting some private mountain on the other side of Vail or Courchevel. $75K membership + $6.5K in annual dues to ski in Wilmington, VT... Nothing wrong with VT, but just doesn't sound all that exotic of a destination for that kind of money.

jimmywilson69

It is if you are rich and want to drive to your playground as well as have other nearby options. Not my cup of tea, but clearly there is a market...

ThinkSnow

It is if you are rich and want to drive to your playground as well as have other nearby options. Not my cup of tea, but clearly there is a market...

Or, according to the website, you can also get there in the following ways....
-Car

-Airplane:
We own our very own airport — Deerfield Valley Airport (4V8. Fly their on scheduled flights or chartered flights fromflyADVANCED and Hopscotch Air. Club members also have access to ourfractional ownership.

-Helicopter:
Skyshare a family of 4 from Yalesville Heliport, CT for as little as $2465.00 per seat

-Sprinter:
There is space for seven in private cabin comfort with complete amenities:

• Seven reclining leather captain’s chairs with swivel function
  • Retractable table
  • LED overhead task light and power shade control
  • USB charging outlet and 120V power outlet
  • Six-way power with power footrest and integrated head rests
  • 32-inch LED LCD HDTV
  • Apple TV box with AirPlay functionality
  • Blu-ray player
  • Solar panel on roof
  • Prewired gaming stations
  • Roof-mounted satellite dish
Cost: $200 per hour

mriceyman

While certainly much smaller than his company,we have built ours wo owning trucks either.We lease them.They probably did the same.

Or they get companies to sub out to. Kinda like all the big box stores here in nj are controlled by national companies for snow plowing and they in turn find local guys to do the job for way to cheap a price. Pretty good concept for the guys on top but not so mych for the little guy

ScottySkis

How I won lottery I still go to Utah over this for price and Roxbury NY with good natural snow soon . winter got to come sonnnn!!!!

mikestaple

Garbage cans in the financial district have the advertisements on them. That's where the money is. That's their target market

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone