• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Infrastructure Collapse Pending

skiur

2 SPE & Superstar or K-1. Not really a big deal. The worst part is the run out back down to SPE. If you want Jug or Breakaway then you need K-1. Pipe Dream is accessible from Superstar.

That certainly is a big deal on the weekend. On a mid winter weekend the line for the SPE can easily be 20+ min. Then to do a second lap you have a 20 min wait at the SPE, then another 20min wait at K1, so after almost an hour you ca do a second lap at South ridge. The mountain is broken without the SRT, and it is the only lift that needs to be replaced. All the others still work.

mister moose

Cold, snow, and freeze/thaw is the #1 enemy of concrete. Can't imagine the Hoover dam faces too much of that.

Poor curing, too much vibration, too much water added to aid placement, and more, are all potentially worse and can cause problems in a very short time frame.

With the addition of an air entrainment admixture, concrete is highly resistant to freezing and thawing. During freezing, the water displaced by ice formation in the paste is accommodated so that it is not disruptive; the microscopic air bubbles in the paste provide chambers for the water to enter and thus relieve the hydraullic pressure generated. Concrete with a low water-cementitious ratio (0.40 or lower) is more durable than concrete with a high water-cementitious ratio (0.50 or higher).

Concrete, because ​it is mixed on site, modified on site, sometimes delayed on site, poured on site, cured on site, and encouters less than favorable temperatures on site, is not a uniform product. Comparing footings from one old lift to another is nearly meaningless. If footings were poured by someone with an eye towards long term durability they will last far longer than not.

skiNEwhere

Poor curing, too much vibration, too much water added to aid placement, and more, are all potentially worse and can cause problems in a very short time frame.

With the addition of an air entrainment admixture, concrete is highly resistant to freezing and thawing. During freezing, the water displaced by ice formation in the paste is accommodated so that it is not disruptive; the microscopic air bubbles in the paste provide chambers for the water to enter and thus relieve the hydraullic pressure generated. Concrete with a low water-cementitious ratio (0.40 or lower) is more durable than concrete with a high water-cementitious ratio (0.50 or higher).

Concrete, because ​it is mixed on site, modified on site, sometimes delayed on site, poured on site, cured on site, and encouters less than favorable temperatures on site, is not a uniform product. Comparing footings from one old lift to another is nearly meaningless. If footings were poured by someone with an eye towards long term durability they will last far longer than not.

Yea, that's all stuff that has to be taken into consideration. I sure hope that when those footings were initially poured, the workers knew what the hell they were doing

After its poured, it faces a much harder environment than a chairlift used as a people mover in a warm area, all I am saying

skiNEwhere

This is kind of a moot point though. Let's say the footings are in great shape and have at least 20 years left on them, this doesn't change the fact that K has explicitly stated replacing the SRT is low on there list of priorities.

deadheadskier

Staff member
this doesn't change the fact that K has explicitly stated replacing the SRT is low on there list of priorities.

Huh?

Did you not read the AZ challenge I linked?

The direct words of the GM were

" We totally agree that this is a critical piece of the lift flow out of Bear and hope to replace it as soon as possible in the near future."

Highway Star

Killington provided some sort of excuse about the SRT having a tensioning system that didn't meet code, and they didn't want to replace it because the lift ran so infrequntly, served so few people, was old, and the terrainwas served by other lifts. Now, do you believe they actually couldn't meet code with the lift, or that Nyborg just yanked it to save some overhead costs? I wouldn't put it past him.

The way things have been going, I wouldn't expect any lift replacements, anytime, ever.

skiNEwhere

Huh?

Did you not read the AZ challenge I linked?

The direct words of the GM were

" We totally agree that this is a critical piece of the lift flow out of Bear and hope to replace it as soon as possible in the near future."

Read the whole thing.

I'll believe it when I see it.

skiNEwhere

Killington provided some sort of excuse about the SRT having a tensioning system that didn't meet code, and they didn't want to replace it because the lift ran so infrequntly, served so few people, was old, and the terrainwas served by other lifts.

Most new lifts have a hydraulic tensioning system now, but older lifts such as that had a concrete type counterweight.

Those big ass concrete blocks you see hanging in the air, connected to the back of the lift provide the tensioning. I want to know what aspect of that didn't meet code seeing are there are still plenty of older lifts in the state that use this type of counter weight

deadheadskier

Staff member
Read the whole thing.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Your interpretation of the scenario is not the point. You maybe right.

However, Killington did not "explicitly state" that SRT was a low priority as you claimed.

That's all I'm saying.

Highway Star

Your interpretation of the scenario is not the point. You maybe right.

However, Killington did not "explicitly state" that SRT was a low priority as you claimed.

That's all I'm saying.

Every thing is a low priority for POWDR unless it is about to fall apart (or already has) in a heap while hurting someone in the process, or that it has an ROI of less than two years (perferably one). Nothing so abstract as actually updating lifts and lodges or expanding terrain will ever be done.

They simply keep proclaiming something is a year or two out, or they are focused on another project, or they are getting sued, or whatever. Excuse after excuse, delay after delay. They finished the peak lodge in 2013 (after a one year delay, and downsizing it), and the PCMR lawsuit was over in 2014. What did they do this year? Put in a stupid glorified alpine slide.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Every thing is a low priority for POWDR unless it is about to fall apart (or already has) in a heap while hurting someone in the process, or that it has an ROI of less than two years (perferably one). Nothing so abstract as actually updating lifts and lodges or expanding terrain will ever be done.

They simply keep proclaiming something is a year or two out, or they are focused on another project, or they are getting sued, or whatever. Excuse after excuse, delay after delay. They finished the peak lodge in 2013 (after a one year delay, and downsizing it), and the PCMR lawsuit was over in 2014. What did they do this year? Put in a stupid glorified alpine slide.

And yet you continue to ski there! +1 for POWDR.

And who has been hurt at K on something broken or defective?

skiadikt

regarding the srt, had a conversation w/ jeff temple about it's removal and plans 4 summers ago. the removal at that time had to do with having the equipment on the peak due to the peak restaurant demolition that could be used in the removal of the srt. since the equipment was there and the lift wasn't being fully utilized he felt he would take advantage of the opportunity of removing it then rather than wait for the snowdon lift replacement project to which the srt was tied. said would save time on the back end of the project and obviously costs. he did mention that there was the possibility of putting another intermediate trail up there.

steamboat1

I think a lot has to do with the planned village. No sense putting in a new lift to replace the Snowdon quad if it will only need to be reconfigured sometime in the future when/if the village is built. Since they plan to use the Snowdon quad to replace South Ridge nothing happens until Snowdon quad is replaced. No sense rebuilding Snowshed or Ramshead lodges since I believe they will be demolished when/if the village is built. As far as I know SP Land submitted their ACT 250 plan for the village a couple of years ago. The local community boards have been holding up it's approval is my understanding. I could be wrong since I'm not directly involved.

SIKSKIER

regarding the srt, had a conversation w/ jeff temple about it's removal and plans 4 summers ago. the removal at that time had to do with having the equipment on the peak due to the peak restaurant demolition that could be used in the removal of the srt. since the equipment was there and the lift wasn't being fully utilized he felt he would take advantage of the opportunity of removing it then rather than wait for the snowdon lift replacement project to which the srt was tied. said would save time on the back end of the project and obviously costs. he did mention that there was the possibility of putting another intermediate trail up there.

This answers a comment I was about to make reguarding many posts saying removing the srt was to save money.Wouldnt doing nothing save more?If the lift was sold and as stated above the equipment was there to remove it then it made a lot of sense to do it then.

skiur

This answers a comment I was about to make reguarding many posts saying removing the srt was to save money.Wouldnt doing nothing save more?If the lift was sold and as stated above the equipment was there to remove it then it made a lot of sense to do it then.

The lift was not sold, it was scrapped, only thing sold were some chairs for people to put in there back yard

steamboat1

I like the mountain and the scene. But will continue to complain bitterly about the management.
Management did a great job this year deciding to invest in summer activities which Killington lacked. I've read that the lines for some of these summer attractions rivals the lines for SPE & K-1 on busy winter weekends. I hope management continues to make sound financial decisions for the long term sustainabilty of the resort.

bigbog

That is 99% false. How do you make money? You get people to buy your product. How do you get people to buy your product? You improve it. The customer is profit.

Do you think there are that many people who are that picky? Maybe so, but I think quite a lot of skiers flock to where the snow piles up.... The product is the access to the top...and don't f**k with what lies down the fall-line. I will not disagree that maybe I've skied too many winters with a family of just the three of us..and my family never skied, but I don't feel cheated by any shortcoming in "luxury". But that's what is nice about life...chocolate & vanilla.

Highway...sounds like our feelings towards management are mutual...lol.

Last edited:

skiadikt

And yet you continue to ski there! +1 for POWDR.

And who has been hurt at K on something broken or defective?

yeah think hs' infrastructure has already collapsed. much ado about nothing ...

of all the lifts that run daily at killington (the "real" infrastructure) - only the north ridge (glades) triple would be considered very old (1972). excepting the skye peak quad 2008, the 9 other lifts (10 if you count the skyeship as 2) that comprise the "real" infrastructure, were either built or rebuilt between 1992 & 1998. certainly middle-aged but nowhere near the hysterical impending collapse predicted by hs, unless his favorite lifts are the snowshed doubles, there's no real basis for his little snit.

doublediamond

Most new lifts have a hydraulic tensioning system now, but older lifts such as that had a concrete type counterweight.

Those big ass concrete blocks you see hanging in the air, connected to the back of the lift provide the tensioning. I want to know what aspect of that didn't meet code seeing are there are still plenty of older lifts in the state that use this type of counter weight

The only issue with the counterweight-type tensioning systems comes about due to the stretching of the haul rope over time. Eventually, the haul rope is too stretched out that there is either insufficient room below the counterweight to code or the counterweight actually rests on the ground with no load on the lift.

How do you solve this? Just like for any modern tensioning system: you cut, shorten, and re-splice your haul rope. Tenney just took out well over 12-feet on their 3125-foot long triple. They took out a bunch (either they didn't say or I can't find it) and re-spliced, but it still was too much sag so they took out an additional 12 feet this past week.

Other way to solve this if your counterweight hits the ground but you still have travel on the bullwheel is to dig a hole under the counterweight.

The excuse was pure BS. Remember, this was the penney-pinching all-money-flows-to-Utah era. And Nyberg after being transferred away from Killington has finally been canned by Powdr.