• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Infrastructure Collapse Pending

Rogman

Killington still owns the Sunrise lift and still owns the base lodge down on Rte. 100; it is leased to a snow mobiling company, and they use the NEP trails. When Killington redid the Skye Peak area, they reused some of the snow making pipe from NEP, so they obviously still have the rights to that area. I asked Steve Selbo a few years back about the 200 acres on Cherry Knoll (in the Sunrise area) that SP Land owns. He said there were no plans to develop it. Given the financial impossibility of making the village work, seems like a mistake.

Highway Star

Killington still owns the Sunrise lift and still owns the base lodge down on Rte. 100; it is leased to a snow mobiling company, and they use the NEP trails. When Killington redid the Skye Peak area, they reused some of the snow making pipe from NEP, so they obviously still have the rights to that area. I asked Steve Selbo a few years back about the 200 acres on Cherry Knoll (in the Sunrise area) that SP Land owns. He said there were no plans to develop it. Given the financial impossibility of making the village work, seems like a mistake.

Well, if it was at Okemo, it would have a lift and a bunch of houses/condos on it.

Highway Star

Well, their lifts and their management might be pretty questionable, but their
snowmaking is pretty good.

Looks like they'll be open this weekend on the 1972 vintage North Ridge Triple Chairlift. 43 years old and still a critical lift!

benski

Looks like they'll be open this weekend on the 1972 vintage North Ridge Triple Chairlift. 43 years old and still a critical lift!

The valley house double never broke down and was in its over 50.

WWF-VT

Looks like they do an OK job of lift maintenance too.

steamboat1

Last year NR was down for a few days mid season. Something broke at the top terminal, something to do with the bull wheel since that's where I saw them working. Then they had the accident two years ago where a chair got hung up in the top terminal when someone unloaded. Think it was down for a few days after that also.

benski

Not entirely true. I remember a partial haul rope collapse taking the VH lift off line for weeks. Maybe the haul rope doesn't count as a break down for some.

I have no recollection of this incident. How long ago was it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Bump.

K1 down until lunch time today and no mention of it on their site. Nice way to make people wait for hours.

And pipe issues a few days ago that cost them T2B sooner. HS, you are clearly a prophet.

ScottySkis

Bump.

K1 down until lunch time today and no mention of it on their site. Nice way to make people wait for hours.

And pipe issues a few days ago that cost them T2B sooner. HS, you are clearly a prophet.

I have a friend their said it was because of electronic problems.

yeggous

There is nothing new here. Once again Killington is behind the ball in November. While they are clearly trying, there are being outclassed by a number of areas that are open top-to-bottom tomorrow.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
With an area the size of Killington, what constitutes T2B? If T2B is top of Killington to the bottom of the gondola, Killington will never be competitive. I'm quite happy with Killington's commitment to provide daily skiing from the time they open T2B on a full lift pod. The open runs in the North Ridge are full-width - not WRODs.

yeggous

With an area the size of Killington, what constitutes T2B? If T2B is top of Killington to the bottom of the gondola, Killington will never be competitive. I'm quite happy with Killington's commitment to provide daily skiing from the time they open T2B on a full lift pod. The open runs in the North Ridge are full-width - not WRODs.

They're going to the bottom tomorrow.

I'm not talking about at the way down to the Skyeship base lodge. Yes, we are talking about from the top down to the K1 base lodge. That is only 1642' vertical, and a very reasonable amount compared to what some others need to cover. Loon, Stowe, and Wildcat, for example, are offering over 2000' vertical tomorrow. Sunday River offers 1460' on Locke Mountain alone. Sunapee is offering 1400'.

K's reasons for not competing have mostly to do with a desire to reinforce more trails up top, and a relatively small number of guns compared to much of their competition. K is running 170 guns at last count, and SR is over 300. Sugarloaf is running 165, and that's all I can find for counts.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
They're going to the bottom tomorrow.

I'm not talking about at the way down to the Skyeship base lodge. Yes, we are talking about from the top down to the K1 base lodge. That is only 1642' vertical, and a very reasonable amount compared to what some others need to cover. Loon, Stowe, and Wildcat, for example, are offering over 2000' vertical tomorrow. Sunday River offers 1460' on Locke Mountain alone. Sunapee is offering 1400'.

K's reasons for not competing have mostly to do with a desire to reinforce more trails up top, and a relatively small number of guns compared to much of their competition. K is running 170 guns at last count, and SR is over 300. Sugarloaf is running 165, and that's all I can find for counts.

They obviously don't care about being first ttb. If they did I'm sure they could be one of the first to get it done.
What they do care about is the longest ski season in the east and they have that. Seriously, who cares anyway about any of it. I'm just glad most of them push to open as much and as early as they can.

JimG.

Staff member
Bump.

I had a great day at K today. Got to the lot at 10:30 just in time to see many angry skiers leaving. I'm told the Gondi is down until 11:30. Excellent! First I snag a class AA spot just vacated. Then I boot up and voila! the Gondi is running. Get to North Ridge by 11:15 or so and ski until 3:30. Good conditions. And although the lift line was long at times, somehow that never translated into a lot of traffic on the trails. Go figure. Finally got to use the peak walkway. Pretty much a stroll, not getting why some folks consider that a "hike".

All in all a good first day, thanks to my Xpress pass all for $24.50.

K sucks, don't go there.

jaybird

Said that many times myself. Spread the word.

Glad you had a good 1st day. Hoping to get in a few myself next week.

Weekdays there lately are especially crowded with gapers from their assorted 'happy places'.
Why is that exactly :smile:

Gimmee more white meat.