bash rings for 2x setups?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bash rings for 2x setups?

Does anyone know if there are bashrings that let you keep the big chainring in a 2x?
    My bike will become an unintended 1x soon if I don't do something to protect the chainring, and I'd prefer a crank mounted ring to a frame mounted guard.
    Bike is a 2016 Stumpjumper w/ SRAM 2x10 FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by skifastr View Post
    Does anyone know if there are bashrings that let you keep the big chainring in a 2x?
    My bike will become an unintended 1x soon if I don't do something to protect the chainring, and I'd prefer a crank mounted ring to a frame mounted guard.
    What is bolt pattern and size of the ring?

Start here. http://www.pricepoint.com/shop.axd/S...nBiking%3aTrue
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Some 2x cranks have specific bash guards available, but I'm not sure about the cranks that you have. I think your bike has ISCG tabs (I can't find it specifically called out on the Specialized site, but I know my 2015 does), and if it does you should be able to mount a ISCG style bash behind your cranks. There's two types of ISCG, if you have it I believe it would be ISCG-05. Something like this:

Several companies make similar bash guards, and they come in different sizes depending on chainring sizes

I've never run one personally, but I was looking into one a few months ago when I was switching to 1x and wanted to lose the traditional bash I had. I decided against it since they didn't make one specifically for 30T, and I didn't want to give up the ground clearance on one meant for bigger rings.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    What is bolt pattern and size of the ring?

Start here. http://www.pricepoint.com/shop.axd/S...nBiking%3aTrue
    The problem is that a lot of modern 2x cranks don't have machined surfaces to mount to on the outside of the spider. Looking at the pictures on Specialized.com that looks to be the case with the SRAM cranks they used on the 2016 SJs.
    Brian

Appreciate the replies. My LBS tells me I could do a guard like the one in bvibert's pics but they weren't aware of anything crank-mounted.

I'll admit to having little knowledge of how bikes are actually assembled (they had to show me how to remove through-axle wheels when I bought the bike ) so I won't ask all sorts of 'why can't you just...." questions.

What puzzles me is there's this picture on SRAM's website:
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/2x10/gear-range
    And one of the bullets states "The 36-22 and 38-24 chainring are available with an all mountain guard option."
    Which sounds like what I want, but I can't find any more info.

I am getting the Blackspire Twinty 2x per conversation with Pivot tech support.
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Appreciate the replies. My LBS tells me I could do a guard like the one in bvibert's pics but they weren't aware of anything crank-mounted.

I'll admit to having little knowledge of how bikes are actually assembled (they had to show me how to remove through-axle wheels when I bought the bike ) so I won't ask all sorts of 'why can't you just...." questions.

What puzzles me is there's this picture on SRAM's website:
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/2x10/gear-range
    And one of the bullets states "The 36-22 and 38-24 chainring are available with an all mountain guard option."
    Which sounds like what I want, but I can't find any more info.
    That would be great, if it's an option. I did some searching around and couldn't come up with much myself, including no apparent match in their spare parts catalog.

Personally I'd just go with the chain guide style ISCG mount bash guard and call it good. Added bonus is less rotating weight.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    I am getting the Blackspire Twinty 2x per conversation with Pivot tech support.
    Nice! Are you having chain retention issues? Or is that just in case?
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Nice! Are you having chain retention issues? Or is that just in case?
    Just in case. And the tech at Pivot said they seen no issues with the moutning of this on the Mach 6.

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Just orderd one of these instead. For $20 worth the risk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TruVativ-MRP...item5d59396839

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Thread Information