• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is skiing not skiing?

Tin

I received the 2016 "Buyers Guide" from Ski magazine last week and was able to get through about twenty pages last night before I put it down. Seeing all the new products along with the massive Deer Valley advertisement made me think, is this what skiing is about? Has skiing become more of a social status symbol than an enjoyable day in winter? Is it about buzzing down the hill in awesome conditions or showing off new gear and saying "I ski at _______"? It is reminiscent of what Red Sox games have become and "the thing to do".

When I mention skiing I have had multiple people mention that they were used to ski (many of which I was surprised by). These former skiers then go on to share a laundry list of reasons they found it unenjoyable but continued for several years (or even decades). If a common theme was injury, health, or "the kids got out of it" I could completely understand, but I think I've heard this only a couple times. It all comes back to weather, conditions, or terrain (the things that make skiing enjoyable in my book). Go out a few times and have horrible icy conditions or weather and never return, sure, I can understand that. However, most of these people skied for years, had condos or homes near mountains, etc. Why do it if it is not fun and you have no other driving force?

Just curious of opinions since there are still leaves on the trees...

Sky

Hmmm...not sure this is an answer to your question but more a continuation of reasons people stop skiing.

I had a recent serious health issue. Had to give up NASTAR but could still ski (with only tacit approval from my doctors)...if I promised to be careful. With my reduced energy level...and subsequent inability to maintain my strength and conditioning, it has become a tad depressing to not perform as well...to get tired so much sooner.

I'll give it another shot this winter...and I'll join a exercise program soon to see if (with the instructor's help) I can regain some strength.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is why I don't subscribe to SKI or Skiing Magazine. To me at least those magazines are about selling the more up-scale life style than skiing itself.

Scruffy

Are there 2 questions in there?

The first: I think it's always been sold for it's "glitz" ... look back at old adverts and ski mags.

If it was unenjoyable for them, they probably kept doing it for family reasons? or to meet a mate?

HD333

Skiing to me is more this just the act of actually skiing/boarding, although that is the driving force.
Skiing to me is family time, the drive up, getting settled Friday night, having that first beer with the wife once the fire is going, getting out early, après, basically being a contained family unit every weekend and making memories.
If my kids and us suddenly don't have the desire to actually get out and ski then we would call it quits ( I don't see that happening) Skiing in my opinion is a way of life to us, not a "thing to do".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skiing to me is more this just the act of actually skiing/boarding, although that is the driving force.
Skiing to me is family time, the drive up, getting settled Friday night, having that first beer with the wife once the fire is going, getting out early, après, basically being a contained family unit every weekend and making memories.
If my kids and us suddenly don't have the desire to actually get out and ski then we would call it quits ( I don't see that happening) Skiing in my opinion is a way of life to us, not a "thing to do".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My folks would have had the same response and it made for a great childhood. That said, once they retired, they split for Florida and never skied again. This after skiing 40+ days a year for the previous fifteen years and having a home at Okemo.

I hope to offer a similar skiing family lifestyle to my son even though I know my wife will never join us on the hill. However, who knows if he likes it like I do.

That said, skiing is so engrained in my life that I will always go whether the family buys in or not. It's about being outside and grabbing adrenaline from the terrain I'm flying down and the beauty of nature in front of me. It will be that way until I'm physically unable, which I hope is at least 50 years from now.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
There are people who ski for exercise. Exercise choices tend to be faddish. If the fad changes, skiing will disappear from their regimen.

There are people who skied when they were young. When they have kids, they will ski with their kids, but quit when the kids leave home.

There are people who ski because their friends ski and/or it's a sociable thing to do.

And there are those for whom skiing is a spiritual experience as much or more than it is a physical experience. These are the people who will ski until their bodies fail them, with people or alone. The industry needs to find ways to make more people "spiritual skiers".

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
There are people who ski for exercise. Exercise choices tend to be faddish. If the fad changes, skiing will disappear from their regimen.

There are people who skied when they were young. When they have kids, they will ski with their kids, but quit when the kids leave home.

There are people who ski because their friends ski and/or it's a sociable thing to do.

And there are those for whom skiing is a spiritual experience as much or more than it is a physical experience. These are the people who will ski until their bodies fail them, with people or alone. The industry needs to find ways to make more people "spiritual skiers".

I certainly feel more spirituality from skiing than anything else life offers.

Tin

Are there 2 questions in there?

Just random thoughts...

This is why I don't subscribe to SKI or Skiing Magazine. To me at least those magazines are about selling the more up-scale life style than skiing itself.

I don't know where they got my address from. I've never subscribed to a ski magazine and I don't think I ever will.

A question for a person who has lived in an area where skiing isn't a possibility, are there similar activities that serve this purpose? Golf comes to mind for me.

dlague

I am feeling very fortunate. I learned to ski as a teenager and fell in love with the sport mostly due to free spirit aspect of letting the skis run, speed and control, vistas, atmosphere, etc. All of our kids learned at a young age and even as adults they continue to ski. My second wife, I taught to ski and to this day she is really into it. My passion has become my families passion. That being said the skiing that I grew up with is much different today. It has gotten to be about expensive condo sales, high priced clothing, extreme skiing that 90% will not or can it do. I ski on the cheap and make skiing our families own thing. I look at the extreme stuff in amazement and respect it, but for me it is just to be watched. While I think we are advanced skiers, skiing thick glades, huck cliffs and side slipping some rock face are all areas that do not interest me. Sometime I feel that is the standard of a good skier but it I a not.

Now people that have skied and left that I know left because they lost interest and it was a fad and a few others because of health.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I think I fit this category. Although I don't think of it as my "religion" - some folks do.

I don't know where they got my address from. I've never subscribed to a ski magazine and I don't think I ever will.
Have you ever filled out the give away forms at a Warren Miller screening? There's a teeny tiny box that says "Don't subscribe to Skiing" or something like that. I alway look for that box and check it.

steamboat1

That said, skiing is so engrained in my life that I will always go whether the family buys in or not. It's about being outside and grabbing adrenaline from the terrain I'm flying down and the beauty of nature in front of me. It will be that way until I'm physically unable, which I hope is at least 50 years from now.
Wow I actually agree. Wife bought in for 30 years but has given up the sport. Daughter still skis but not as often as she'd like. Recent grad & just starting a career so she has limited free time. Me this will be my 55th season skiing & I still enjoy it for the reasons you stated. Doubt I have 50 years left though as that would put me well over 100.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Two comments:
1. IMO. there is a difference between spiritual and religious, but I suspect this forum is not the right place for that discussion.
2. If you belong to NSP, PSIA/AASI, went to the Ski show last year, etc. you are on a list that gets a free subscription. You can opt out, but it's more trouble than putting the magazine in the recycling.

Smellytele

Hi my name is Smellytele and I am an addict. I started out because it was the cool thing to do and it was fun. It has now consumed me, I spend all my money on it, I spend all my "free time" trying to find ways to do it as often as I can. My family have become my co-dependents not by choice but I think they enjoy it. Well if they don't want to ski I will still and only try for a few minutes to convince them to. Yes I am an addict.

ironhippy

Yes I am an addict.

I was very into hiking/biking/snowshoe before an injury severely limited by activity. After a few years, I decided to try skiing, I had skied as a kid and figured it wouldn't be too hard on my injured leg. It turns out, it was the perfect mix of exercise and relaxation and it actually helped strengthen my leg.

After 3 full seasons, I got my leg strong enough that I am hiking and biking again (and most recently lifting weights), but my main goal in doing that is so I'll be stronger for the skiing season.

Mountain biking used to be my favorite thing in the world, now when I am in the woods on my bike, I am constantly looking for back country stashes in the hills around the trails.

I can't wait until the snow comes.

I don't care about the glitz.

bigbog

Tin you nailed the phrase! "Social Status Symbol"... :lol: Oh well...
Love skiing because it's a terrific activity outside in the great outdoors. To slide down a mountain's terrain....nothing like it.
There's a real looping effect in it all too...mental stimulus + physical energy(endorphins) [+ visual mental stimulus..scenery, ski(clear or snow-filled)] = mental stimulus.

Last edited:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Hi my name is Smellytele and I am an addict. I started out because it was the cool thing to do and it was fun. It has now consumed me, I spend all my money on it, I spend all my "free time" trying to find ways to do it as often as I can. My family have become my co-dependents not by choice but I think they enjoy it. Well if they don't want to ski I will still and only try for a few minutes to convince them to. Yes I am an addict.

Rehab is for quitters ! It's a healthy addiction and sort of cult like .

After that last two winters the non skiers need Meds to deal with depression . So who has the problem?