• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hurricane Joaquin

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Yesterday it was headed up the Chesapeake. Today it is headed south of Cape Cod. My guess is somewhere in the middle :-o .
No consensus on any forecast model yet.
at201511_ensmodel.gif

at201511_model.gif

Tin

Just have to wait and see how far west this thing travels before it gets going north.

I can't figure out if the National Hurricane Center is going for the most likely situation or track error. Most likely would have written this thing off already and not spreading panic up and down the coast. Declaring a state of emergency like NJ did just builds the panic and when a future storm hits people will not heed the warnings.

EDIT: As I wrote this the NHC released this...
180011W_sm.gif

No hard hook. No OTS despite GFS and Euro agreement. WTF is going on.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Just have to wait and see how far west this thing travels before it gets going north.

I can't figure out if the National Hurricane Center is going for the most likely situation or track error. Most likely would have written this thing off already and not spreading panic up and down the coast. Declaring a state of emergency like NJ did just builds the panic and when a future storm hits people will not heed the warnings.

EDIT: As I wrote this the NHC released this...
180011W_sm.gif

No hard hook. WTF is going on.
Don't think that's going to happen again. The weather guys were beating the drums when Irene hit & nothing of significance happened along the shore. When they beat the drums for Sandy no one paid much attention. Boy were they wrong.

Tin

That probably has more to do with Christie and the big man's desire for media coverage and less to do with Joaquin.

Haha. 5pm update should have the eastern shift on the track. If not, there is a lot more going on. They might gradually tick it east over the next several updates.

The storm did look a bit west of where the EURO initialized, given the ULL and other stuff at play 50 miles could be a major shift in track.

mriceyman

Guess they don't remember Sandy taking a quick left turn!

The high in the atlantic was favorable a couple of days ago but is now non existent. Very small chances of landfall here but ya never know.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

mriceyman

Which was predicted by some.

Predicted by all except the euro which(if this goes ots) has been locked in for days now. Kinda makes me mad that the euro model can be so superior at times.

Tin

Predicted by all except the euro which(if this goes ots) has been locked in for days now. Kinda makes me mad that the euro model can be so superior at times.

NAM still has an east coast land fall and it is been correct when others said no (2010 Boxing Day).

yeggous

NAM still has an east coast land fall and it is been correct when others said no (2010 Boxing Day).

Piece of advice from a Pro: forget the NAM for tropical systems. The 18Z run on Tuesday actually crashed... Twice... Apparently due to the air-sea coupling parameterization.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
11pm update out... don't even bother looking at it

No landfall (for Canada as well) and I doubt that Cape Cod will even get TS force winds. Monday and Tuesday will be sunny where I am in western CT.

mriceyman

Its been terrible this whole process. It can be right at times but not with tropical systems. It was having major problems even picking up the storm even after it was a TS. I guess crazier things have happened but it cant really be taken seriously atm.

Tin

Piece of advice from a Pro: forget the NAM for tropical systems. The 18Z run on Tuesday actually crashed... Twice... Apparently due to the air-sea coupling parameterization.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Figured as much, just didn't understand the NHC spreading the panic.

ctenidae

It is interesting that all the models have moved east to agree with the ECMWF, but the Euro has moved west a touch to agree with the rest. Not a big enough shift to worry, of course, but from a pure pattern recognition perspective, it's interesting.

Puck it

What brings you to the island for a week in the off-season? I just cancelled my plans for a long weekend there and have a lot of Nantucket ties.
We go every year since the mid 90's in the summer. In the last 8 years we have been doing late JUne to beat the crowds. We started going about 5 years ago in the early fall for my wife's birthday too.