• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I found this interesting. Could it be that they're trying not to harm the vegetation with salt? As found in http://www.bountifulgardencenter.com/uploads/IceMelters.pdf
Another category of ice melters is garden fertilizer.Fertilizers often are assumed to be safe forplants and turf because they are fertilizers. However, the application rates for fertilizers used as icemelters are much higher than the rates for normal feeding. As a general rule, fertilizers are usually safer for plants, but some fertilizers can be more damaging to concrete than salt is.

BenedictGomez

Why? The vast majority of seasons Superstar Quad is open by Thanksgiving. And USSA is providing rental air compressors dedicated to Superstar and Skylark

Because there's a difference between "technically being able to hold an event with horrendous conditions" and "holding an event with average to optimal conditions", and November in Central Vermont is a huge roll-of-the-dice that increases the odds of the former possibly occurring.

Seems like a completely unnecessary risk to me. Hopefully it's a cold November and all goes off without a hitch, but I can hear the athletes complaining already.

machski

Because there's a difference between "technically being able to hold an event with horrendous conditions" and "holding an event with average to optimal conditions", and November in Central Vermont is a huge roll-of-the-dice that increases the odds of the former possibly occurring.

Seems like a completely unnecessary risk to me. Hopefully it's a cold November and all goes off without a hitch, but I can hear the athletes complaining already.

Because FIS did not offer another date. So is this unnecessary? If you (or USSA) wants to bring FIS world cup racing back to New England, then yes this risk is necessary. You sound like Highway Star with this post. But given this past season, even early February or March would have been a risk of cancellation due to weather.

This is great to have this level of comp back in New England. Killington, Powdr, USSA and FIS all know the early season weather risks. But SS has the snowmaking infrastructure in place to make this a realistic endeavor. And other than the actual race weekend impediment, I don't think public skiing will suffer much at all at Killington.

slatham

Let's not forget that FIS events world-wide are often negatively impacted and even cancelled due to weather issues. It's the nature of the beast. Even mid-winter Alps events have been cancelled due to lack of snow.

skifree

Let's not forget that FIS events world-wide are often negatively impacted and even cancelled due to weather issues. It's the nature of the beast. Even mid-winter Alps events have been cancelled due to lack of snow.

or too much snow

yeggous

I know salting race courses is standard procedure, but that can't be good come spring.

P.S. it is too quiet here in summer. Someone please entertain me. I am at Logan waiting for a flight. Bueller?

bigbog

Cancelled and shortened(2015 Kitzbuhl's Hannenkam(sp?)) ..ended up being run like ?? not quite a half? of the course's true length, and with lousy, soft snow...

doublediamond

I know salting race courses is standard procedure, but that can't be good come spring.

It's 'salt' in the chemistry sense. It is usually it's ammonium nitrate, as in fertilizer. But that may vary dependent on forecasted conditions.

They also will inject water into the snow. It's a long pipe with holes on the bottom, hooked up to the snowmaking hydrants. One operator on each end to control the bar. One operator has a valve that they open and close briefly, then move down the hill a foot or so and repeat.

benski

They also will inject water into the snow. It's a long pipe with holes on the bottom, hooked up to the snowmaking hydrants. One operator on each end to control the bar. One operator has a valve that they open and close briefly, then move down the hill a foot or so and repeat.

Ice! Thats what New England need more of.