• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

Highway Star

Latest K-zone rumor is that they're going to try to get Snowshed online to provide ski-in-out access to the Grand.

With all the hype surrounding this, it's going to be really disappointing when it gets rained out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't believe so. The article states replacing a 45 year old double. Ruthie's went in during the 90s. It's just really unique because it's a detachable double chair, but with chairs the size of a triple. I don't really remember any of the other lifts at Aspen other than the gondola

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't believe so. The article states replacing a 45 year old double. Ruthie's went in during the 90s. It's just really unique because it's a detachable double chair, but with chairs the size of a triple. I don't really remember any of the other lifts at Aspen other than the gondola

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Oh OK. It's the OTHER fixed double. Ruthie's is like Sunnyside at Alta.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

doublediamond

It has nothing to do with the lift. It has everything to do that FIS is pissed Aspen put them up in an abandoned lodge for racer services at the WC Finals this year.

"The state of Ruthie’s restaurant, which has been shuttered for years but was reopened to provide racer support services for this event, was also noted by Lewis as a deficiency."

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/174686

doublediamond

The Killington races were the most attended in Ladies WC history other than Finals. IIRC it was ~16k for the GS on Saturday and ~14k for the SL on Sunday.

drjeff

Yet they moved the X games to Aspen (well, Tiehack, but same thing basically) rather than Mount Snow. Wonder if that will move east again?

How was the turnout at Squaw this year?

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Doubt they'll move the X games from Aspen anytime soon. Part of the Aspen appeal is the "coolness" factor, and for some making the decisions about where to host such and such an event, Aspen is full of the "beautiful people" and the chic restaurants and resort amenities that many decision makers like.

Heck, I'm sure if it was feasible. the FIS would love to hold that November race at say Mountain Creek or whatever the current name of the other area near MC that was brought back to life as a high level racing center this past season, as then all of the big whigs who run the FIS could partake in all of the glitz that New York City has to offer

VTKilarney

But is the "beautiful people" crowd really the X-Games crowd? I guess times change.

BenedictGomez

Doesn't surprise me because not many "day trippers" from any metro areas going to Aspen.

Surprised the hades out of me, because I had no idea ski racing would attract anywhere near that kind of interest in America.

That said, I do wonder what the crowd would be if they held it 5 years in a row (i.e. would there be a big dropoff once novelty fades).

Jully

I almost certainly think there will be a drop off. But I'd still expect over 6000 in 5 years.