• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

Smellytele

I almost certainly think there will be a drop off. But I'd still expect over 6000 in 5 years.

With it so early in the season people are not worried about missing a ski day and are just there to enjoy the event. Kind of like going to see a Warren Miller movie in Nov. But I do think there would be a drop off as well. What I wasn't surprised by was that less people went to see a race in Aspen then other places not the actual numbers.

drjeff

With it so early in the season people are not worried about missing a ski day and are just there to enjoy the event. Kind of like going to see a Warren Miller movie in Nov. But I do think there would be a drop off as well. What I wasn't surprised by was that less people went to see a race in Aspen then other places not the actual numbers.
As long as the US Ski Team has some marquee names, and if the FIS chooses to keep Killington in the November rotation (and Killington wants to keep hosting a race) while maybe not a 30,000 weekend attendance total in 5 yrs, I'd expect stronger numbers than any other US host venue to date.

VT has a large base of junior racers (there were about 1000 of them in a pre-race parade before Saturday's GS this past November), and that often translates into enthusiastic ski racing families who will turn out to see truly elite level racing up close and in person - add in the proximity of the NY, NH, ME, and the MA/CT/RI youth race programs (heck I even saw some kids at last November's world cup race with team jackets from resorts in North Carolina and West Virgina, so the base of current and future alpine racing fans is solid in the Northeast.

And as the majority of those who were there seem to agree upon, heck it was an impressive event to see live!

Lastly, has anyone heard from Highwaystar since the WC races were a success at Killington??? ;) ;) ;) ;)

drjeff

Whatever happened to HS? Haven't seen him post for some time.

He went MIA just about the same time that in spite of his predictions of a massive failure by Killington to be able to pull off making enough snow to host a worldcup race in November, and then that maybe few thousand people tops would show up for the entire weekend, that the event was a great success.....

BenedictGomez

He went MIA just about the same time that in spite of his predictions of a massive failure by Killington to be able to pull off making enough snow to host a worldcup race in November, and then that maybe few thousand people tops would show up for the entire weekend, that the event was a great success.....

To be fair, I think the first part of that equation is "FIS Russian roulette", were they to make this an every year event, eventually one's going to be cancelled before too long.

jimmywilson69

Latest K-zone rumor is that they're going to try to get Snowshed online to provide ski-in-out access to the Grand.

With all the hype surrounding this, it's going to be really disappointing when it gets rained out.

Quoting for posterity. So glad K pulled this off and this asshat was completely and utterly wrong... WHAT AN IDIOT!

skiur

He has and its been great. Hopefully his treatment for his mental health issues are going well.

I disagree, kzone has gotten boring without HS over there. Every message board needs an asshole to keep things exciting, kzone, and over here as well has gotten just a little more boring since he hasnt been posting much.

jimmywilson69

It was certainly the volume of his shenanigans, not the tone, that likely got him in mod approval.

His threads always turned to the same 3or 4 people fighting with each other over there so it wasn't even remotely decent discussion.

JimG.

Staff member
Anyone else notice that not only HS but also steamboat1 has been missing the same time period?

Coincidence?