• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

skiur

If anyone in the East can pull it off, It's Killington!

And given the success of last years event, and the decent chance after last weekend World Cup opener in Soelden, Austria, where Lindsey Vonn raced GS for the 1st time in about 20 months, the prospects of having both Shiffrin and Vonn racing infront a crowd that hopefully will be as big, if not bigger if Vonn is there, as last year, has to have Killington, the FIS, the USSA and VARA very excited and worth the risk of non cooperative weather.

As anyone who was actually there last year will tell you, once you got past the parking challenges, the actual race experience was such a cool thing to see and experience! Can't wait to hopefully be watching it again live, weather permitting on November 25th! :flag: :flag: :flag:

Vonn will not be competing in gs at Killington this year.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/skiing...ndsey-vonn-happy-raced-world-cup-giant-slalom

Hawkshot99

scheduling ski events in November in Vermont is idiotic.

Even if they pull this off, it will be interesting what marketers at Killington think of the optics from this race if every camera shot & photo other than the man-made run is of grass & brown barren ground.

I would say that have the man made whiteness and brown everywhere else actually HELPS Killington marketing. It shows what the mtn is capable of.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

That would always be a blessing. But K is touting there snowmaking with this event.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
Actually, a 3' dump before the event would not be a blessing. Racers don't like fresh powder and then Killington would have to figure out water injection to the course. If it is just man made, they can control the water content during production to get the snow Rock solid for the race.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Actually, a 3' dump before the event would not be a blessing. Racers don't like fresh powder and then Killington would have to figure out water injection to the course. If it is just man made, they can control the water content during production to get the snow Rock solid for the race.

Wasn't soft and mushy last year by the end?

BenedictGomez

I would say that have the man made whiteness and brown everywhere else actually HELPS Killington marketing. It shows what the mtn is capable of.

I disagree.

The average casual skier is not going to care what they're technically "capable of", they're going to visually see in a very direct and obvious way that conditions currently stink.

And the average serious skier isn't enticed by a day of WROD, man-made snow, and limited terrain.

Smellytele

I disagree.

The average casual skier is not going to care what they're technically "capable of", they're going to visually see in a very direct and obvious way that conditions currently stink.

And the average serious skier isn't enticed by a day of WROD, man-made snow, and limited terrain.

The average casual skier won't be seeing the event either way for the most part.

JimG.

Staff member

You're no fun.

drjeff

Temps look to be a non-issue starting Monday night going through indefinitely :thumbup:

Agree that the pattern changing event looks to be happening!

The crew I'm going with the to race have even started to loosely put together a tailgating menu as a sign of our optimism of it happening!

tumbler

Agree that the pattern changing event looks to be happening!

The crew I'm going with the to race have even started to loosely put together a tailgating menu as a sign of our optimism of it happening!

1) Beer
2) Whiskey
3) Beer
4) Meat

BenedictGomez

This is looking increasingly dicey.

How many straight days of <=32 temps would Killington need to pull this off - I imagine they'll relocate every dang gun they can to the race course, but would 5 or 6 days be enough?