• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

drjeff

It is REALLY impressive to see when K full out flexes their snowmaking muscle like few, if any other resorts can!

Can't wait to see the efforts, and a bunch of really fast women in GS suits, on Superstar 3 weeks from today!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

It is REALLY impressive to see when K full out flexes their snowmaking muscle like few, if any other resorts can!

I can't wait to see the firepower of SS lit up top to bottom with the new and improved Superstar webcam!

IceEidolon

Killington's bottleneck won't be air (at least, below 26 WB or so). Big air runs 10:1 air to water there, and that improves as it gets colder. (Yes, that's an approximation.) But they have 72,000 CFM and 7000 GPM. So once they max out their water pumps, all they can do is put the same amount of snow on less area.

Granted I expect they'll get there in the end this year, but water, not air, is what'll cause gaps in trails for the public.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

slatham

Killington's bottleneck won't be air (at least, below 26 WB or so). Big air runs 10:1 air to water there, and that improves as it gets colder. (Yes, that's an approximation.) But they have 72,000 CFM and 7000 GPM. So once they max out their water pumps, all they can do is put the same amount of snow on less area.

Granted I expect they'll get there in the end this year, but water, not air, is what'll cause gaps in trails for the public.

Good point, once the real cold comes in. But is the number really 7000gpm? I though it was higher but am far from an expert on K's system.

IceEidolon

Good point, once the real cold comes in. But is the number really 7000gpm? I though it was higher but am far from an expert on K's system.
That's what I was told last year by one of their snowmakers. It would make the 72000 CFM number make sense, too - they almost can't use any more air than that.

cdskier

That's what I was told last year by one of their snowmakers. It would make the 72000 CFM number make sense, too - they almost can't use any more air than that.

I found an article from several years ago that said K could pump out 720,000 gallons of water per hour (which translates to 12K GPM). On K's website today though, it says they can pump out 10 Million gallons per day (which comes to just under 7K per hour and would match what IceEidolon was told).

That's interesting if they really are only 7K GPM. I thought they were much higher than Sugarbush in terms of water pumping capacity. SB has about 6K capacity between the 2 snowmaking systems (4K at LP and 2K at ME) from what I remember.

Newpylong

7K out of Snowshed alone but then 5K out of Bear.

73K+ CFM. They rent 24 HP 1600s Doosan now used to be straight IR. Usually 12 in non-World Cup years. Then you have the owned 7 owned electrics.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

If Killington is truly forced to dedicate a ton of attention to just one run to pull this off, I wonder how the locals feel about that? I mean, sure the event's cool and everything, but if it comes at the expense of a decent bit of early skiing trail coverage I dont think I'd be a fan were I a K passholder.

machski

If Killington is truly forced to dedicate a ton of attention to just one run to pull this off, I wonder how the locals feel about that? I mean, sure the event's cool and everything, but if it comes at the expense of a decent bit of early skiing trail coverage I dont think I'd be a fan were I a K passholder.
This discussion was put through the hoops last year and quashed. They bring in extra air compressors beyond what they normally do and they don't dial down on the public expansion plan. It might seem like they do but last year was a marginal early season and this year is so far even worse. Not like they would have had much more open last year by Turkey day and this year, well no one is skiing yet in the east.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Euler

Those "from behind" views in the start tent rarely disappoint!! [emoji12] [emoji16] [emoji12] [emoji16]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Are you kidding me? A middle aged man thinks its a good idea to comment in a sexual manner about talented young women who are incredible athletes? Thanks for the reminder to continue to be ashamed of my gender.

Puck it

02f1bb556c3a3d1d7b0f36448c777027--alpine-skiing-sports-women.jpg