USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I've always wondered what a Chinese Downhill from K-1 to the base of Skyeship would look like. I'd pay money to see that.

2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Doing it in November? Great, cant wait for all the, "teh east haz no snoh" comments after that.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Highway Star will win this easy.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Highway Star will win this easy.
    He's already waxing his 240cm set with 5mm underfoot and 80m turning radius
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by doublediamond View Post
    No written rules pertaning to steepness other than for a slalom race. Should note, the lower "footwall" of Superstar is too steep. But what defines "very short parts of the course"? According to the DEM I downloaded, the steep bit exceeds 52% for about 140 feet long. It rarely gets flatter than 33%.

Below are the rules for Ladies' WC SL and GS courses:
    If they set across the hill, they can get around the steepness at the bottom. Seen it done before. If this happens...I am there!
    Last edited by andrec10; Oct 1, 2015 at 11:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    If they set across the hill, they can get around the steepness at the bottom. Seen it done before. If this happens...I am there!
    The middle section is still pretty flat though. All the recent GS courses I can think of are pretty uniform. If there's a problem with SS it's definitely cause of being too flat, not too steep, but I really doubt there's a problem.

Very cool! I hope Killington gets it. Too bad I won't be able to attend.

Personally I couldn't care less about a race. My biggest concern with something like this is how it will effect snowmaking operations on the rest of the mountain. But that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    The middle section is still pretty flat though. All the recent GS courses I can think of are pretty uniform. If there's a problem with SS it's definitely cause of being too flat, not too steep, but I really doubt there's a problem.
    A significant portion (1960 ft., apx, 37% of the length) of the Birds of Prey GS course is less than 33%. Ruthie's GS (Aspen, ladies) has that narrow traverse with about 430 feet less than 33%

Quote Originally Posted by doublediamond
    [Superstar] rarely gets flatter than 33%.
    Superstar is nowhere near "too flat."
    Last edited by doublediamond; Oct 2, 2015 at 3:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    My biggest concern with something like this is how it will effect snowmaking operations on the rest of the mountain. But that's me.
    Superstar probably will be bumped up to #2 on the snowmaking list instead of filling out Snowdon. With Killington Opening mid-October to early-November since the Stairway went in, there won't be any problem except for the very warmest of winters to have . Don't forget that most of the middle/upper portions of Superstar are now lined with the SnowLogic ultra-low-E guns (with half the spacing as the old SR towers), and the bottom is getting several Fan towers this summer. The low-E snowmaking tech really has grown by leaps and bounds the past 3 years or so. Who knows what next winter will bring!

Thread Information