USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    For the amount of open terrain, Killington is way too crowded in November. I think it is a terrible idea - at least for Killington's early season regulars.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    I think this is awesome!! The Beast, most certainly, is back!!

Joshua, as you know, this will be on a self-contained pod. Even with limited early season terrain, the way Killington is setup, those who wish to ski can spread out and away from the crowds and race area. I think this is a tremendous opportunity for Killington. Plus, the revenue from the races will far outweigh any regular Turkey weekend skiing revenue.

Awesome idea in my book. I guess they don't have a problem with the two lift towers across the bottom pitch.

Regarding the effects to early season, I would think this actually will help. Once the race is over that is a lot of open acreage to spread crowds out vs one thin run down Snowdon.

I guess Sunday River will now be my T-day weekend place to go.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Doing it in November? Great, cant wait for all the, "teh east haz no snoh" comments after that.
    This is likely to be Killington's biggest marketing / image disaster ever.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I've always wondered what a Chinese Downhill from K-1 to the base of Skyeship would look like. I'd pay money to see that.
    It's hella fun.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by doublediamond View Post
    Superstar probably will be bumped up to #2 on the snowmaking list instead of filling out Snowdon. With Killington Opening mid-October to early-November since the Stairway went in, there won't be any problem except for the very warmest of winters to have . Don't forget that most of the middle/upper portions of Superstar are now lined with the SnowLogic ultra-low-E guns (with half the spacing as the old SR towers), and the bottom is getting several Fan towers this summer. The low-E snowmaking tech really has grown by leaps and bounds the past 3 years or so. Who knows what next winter will bring!
    If they have even slightly less than optimal temps, they will NEVER be able to produce enough snow with the low-e snowguns. They're going to have to use old style guns with a bunch of air compressors running full tilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    I don't get it. You complain Killington doesn't host big time ski events. Now they get one potentially lined up (granted early season) and you start pissbooing it right away. Would you be happy if they held it in January or February on SS cutting out a big chunk of the middle of the resort during peak season for it? From a logistics of skiing public, this seems like a great time to do this. And don't doubt the new Low-E guns in marginal temps. Sunday River figured them out and rarely uses the older guns even when it gets marginal on the early season terrain now. I'm sure Killington has adapted and will be locked in now. In fact, I bet they will test out their plans this year for this and blow Superstar wide open very early this year as well. Just to prove to the Highway Stars out there they can and will pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    And yet if they pull it off, I can already for see the overhead shot from the top of the lower Superstar Headwall, with both sides of the trail ringed with spectators heading down towards a packed K-1 base area with the U-bars in the image as Michaela Shriffrin rips down to win the slalom, likely on live national TV - K wins HUGE if they pull that off.

Your point about the weather variability is valid though Highwaystar - if next November was like November of 2011 where many resorts weren't even open on Thanksgiving weekend due to unseasonably warm temps, than a race cancellation would be tough to take.

I still feel though that the potential upside still outweighs the downside (and the fact that the 1st of the proposed races is on my birthday has nothing to do with my enthusiasm )
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12,18,19 (Mount Snow)

If they're unable to make enough snow for the race then chances are they or anyone else wouldn't even be open. It isn't difficult to calculate how many extra man hours and acres to get enough width and base on SS for this based on an average wet bulb percentile for that time period. If they feel the low E guns are not going to cut the mustard you can bet they'll have more rental compressors on hand for the K guns. They know their infrastructure and capabilities better than anyone in the armchair.

Thread Information