USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doublediamond View Post
    This is rugged?

The only thing they need to worry about is getting over the water bars.

This is the kind of trail you need 5-feet on:

You have NO concept.

See the snowmaking towers? They act like a snow gauge. It's very easy to tell how much snow is on the trail. You're on crack.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

doublediamond should stop the nonsense back and forth with Highwway Star as everyone knows that HWS is an authority on any topic related to skiing and Killington including skis, bindings, snow, snow making, resort management, marketing, accounting, public relations, food and beverage operations, ski school, racing programs, lift construction, lift operation and maintenance as well as any other subject that can be discussed in a thread on a ski forum PERIOD. I heard from a reliable source that POWDR and Killington have repeatedly tried to hire him to run their operations, but insiders have prevented his hiring in fear that Killington would become just about perfect which would result in a rapid decline of mindless discussion threads on Alpinezone and other ski forums.

Just because they make 20+ feet for the spring glacier doesn't mean they need 5 ft to open up the trail.

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by doublediamond View Post
    Haha what?!? Killington routinely opens early season trails on far less than 18 inches.

Newpylong says he does this stuff for a living. I will take his word over yours.
    But this is a world cup event. There needs to be 2-3 feet minimum to flatten out the trail. It will also be injected if its not hard enough.

How long has K been using their own K3000 series? Always wondered that.

As for depth, Superstar it is a rugged trail and will need closer to 5 feet of snow to open rather than 1.5. My guess it they'll aim for the 3-4 foot range.
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Look, the water bars need to be filled in, but that is easy by starting the make by aiming to fill those first. Given they will want to water inject if possible, I'd say 2.5ft average base depth. Some portions may need to be deeper pack while some can probably go less.

As for Low E guns, Sunday River uses predominately SV10 guns on T2 and they push enough in marginal temps to allow T2 to go from bare ground on a Thursday afternoon to open Friday morning. Now, in that instance it was now where near to ready for a race, but there was enough down for a great first day in October. (In all fairness, they do have some Sr7/14 guns as backups at certain points and occasionally mix these in but only at the points where the gun spacing is poor).

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    doublediamond should stop the nonsense back and forth with Highwway Star as everyone knows that HWS is an authority on any topic related to skiing and Killington including skis, bindings, snow, snow making, resort management, marketing, accounting, public relations, food and beverage operations, ski school, racing programs, lift construction, lift operation and maintenance as well as any other subject that can be discussed in a thread on a ski forum PERIOD. I heard from a reliable source that POWDR and Killington have repeatedly tried to hire him to run their operations, but insiders have prevented his hiring in fear that Killington would become just about perfect which would result in a rapid decline of mindless discussion threads on Alpinezone and other ski forums.
    This is the best post I've ever read on any ski forum and I've read thousands.
    make snow not war
    Waterville Valley, bought to be sold

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    If the FIS agrees, this is huge for K-mart! They are going to dump the shit of of Supe to ensure they get it up to FIS par. The prediction is 15-20 mil in revenue for the resort. What do you think they get on a normal Turkey weekend? Nowhere even close to that number. It is practically a no-brainer for them. Plus, as others have said, after the race, supe will be that much better off. They'll only need to build a 25 foot base to get it up to 30' for spring season.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    This is likely to be Killington's biggest marketing / image disaster ever.
    Superstar has always been open in November. The Beast can't wait to make this your worst prediction yet

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone, I blame auto correct

Thread Information