USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Maybe not top to bottom but the upper section (headwall?) certainly is. It usually opens weeks before the rest of the trail. Same thing with upper Downdraft (headwall?). It's usually one of the first trails to open after they get Great Northern open off the top going over to North Ridge. Sometimes before they even have TTB skiing. Killington holds their annual Turkey Jam every year on upper Downdraft. The rest of the trail opens much later.

edit: this is why I agree with areas calling trails upper, middle, lower. Gives you a much better idea of what's actually open instead of just saying Superstar is open.
    So, it's not open, like I said.

"For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    Its Official....

Introduction of Killington as a ladies’ World Cup organizer
    Twenty-five years after the last World Cup races in Waterville Valley, N.H., the World Cup tour is heading back on the East Coast of the U.S. The ski racing tradition is very strong in that area of North America, which will make the stop in Killington, Vt., in the 2016-17 season very exciting. Killington is taking over the weekend Aspen traditionally has in the calendar as Aspen will be hosting the World Cup Finals in 2017.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/alpine-update-from-the-fis-autumn-meeting/
    I think you're just kidding (judging by the smileys). This is from the same website you linked.

"The bid will be submitted to the FIS at its fall meetings in Zurichthat run through Saturday. It is anticipated that the bid will then be put onto the draft 2016-17 World Cup calendar that will be finalized next June."

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    So, it's not open, like I said.
    What part of upper Superstar being open don't you understand?

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    I think you're just kidding (judging by the smileys). This is from the same website you linked.

"The bid will be submitted to the FIS at its fall meetings in Zurichthat run through Saturday. It is anticipated that the bid will then be put onto the draft 2016-17 World Cup calendar that will be finalized next June."
    The meeting was held on Friday. I was not kidding. Sounds official to me, but what do I know....

Quote Originally Posted by andrec10 View Post
    The meeting was held on Friday. I was not kidding. Sounds official to me, but what do I know....
    It sounds as if it will happen but it also says the calendar won't be finalized until June so things could change.

It sounds as if it will happen but it also says the calendar won't be finalized until June so things could change.
    The reality is if the USSA backs this, and with Aspen, who usually hosts the women's WC November US races hosting the '17 Alpine World Championships, this is a done deal!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12 (Mount Snow)

What part of upper Superstar being open don't you understand?
    For the purposes of this thread, the WHOLE of the trail is not open, and thus it is NOT OPEN, ESPECIALLY TO HOLD A RACE ON IT.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

For the purposes of this thread, the WHOLE of the trail is not open, and thus it is NOT OPEN, ESPECIALLY TO HOLD A RACE ON IT.
    This is just a matter of priorities for management. Bretton Woods and Wildcat open up top-to-bottom in early November using 100% low-E HKD and SnoLogic guns. Meanwhile Killington skiers are still playing with themselves up on the Northridge chair.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Let's be 100% honest HS - if K brings in extra snowmaking firepower, as they say they will, and K has the typical from Nov 1st window of of snowmaking weather (not continuous, but at least 1/2 of those days, if not more) that they typically do down to K-1 base, with a slight shift in their classical snowmaking roll out pattern, snow coverage for a WC race the last weekend of November won't be an issue say 8 years out of 10.

As for the crowds, world cup race or not, we all know that it's going to be a sh$t show on the hill at K Thanksgiving weekend.

If K pulls this off, who knows, maybe their revenues will increase enough for some new infrastructure for them
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days '07-'17 seasons: 515 Days

'17 - '18 Season:
    November: 12 (Mount Snow)

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Let's be 100% honest HS - if K brings in extra snowmaking firepower, as they say they will, and K has the typical from Nov 1st window of of snowmaking weather (not continuous, but at least 1/2 of those days, if not more) that they typically do down to K-1 base, with a slight shift in their classical snowmaking roll out pattern, snow coverage for a WC race the last weekend of November won't be an issue say 8 years out of 10.

As for the crowds, world cup race or not, we all know that it's going to be a sh$t show on the hill at K Thanksgiving weekend.

If K pulls this off, who knows, maybe their revenues will increase enough for some new infrastructure for them
    While most people probably are not like me I will change my Thanksgiving weekend normal K visit to head somewhere else. Not that my money will be missed. I usually do not find K that much of a shit show that weekend.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

Thread Information