USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington - Page 50

AlpineZone

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    You're probably right looking at this:

Seems it would be very easy in this configuration to control. Probably allow Pico only guest on the Pico "back pod" and lift and on the one connector trail at the intersection, sign and maybe fence denoting the requirements to proceed to K or head back to the Pico back pod lift. Snowbird and Alta seem to do it ok with their interconnect points.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Killington may have a chance at those pods, but Sugarbush slidebrook pods are off the table. Even their most recent ubber aggressive master plan didn't touch slidebrook. IIRC, there was some deal/swap made so it can't be done.
    No, It cannot be done. The lift was the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I'm pro-interconnect. I think it has to happen in order for Pico to receive any investment. The place hasn't received any new lift since 1988 and went bankrupt in the 90s. It's essentially frozen in time without enough business to warrant improvements. The base village is aging, Outpost is one of the oldest lifts in the East, and the 2 HSQ's are going to need replacement in the next 10 years. I love the mountain when it's all-open but snowmaking is minuscule, and during the week not running Little Pico or Outpost really limit the available terrain. For the place to see any $$$ thrown at it and to improve operations I think it has to get connected to Killington.

As for the Killington side of things the marketing potential is huge. The resort would become something like 1,300 acres. Every stat would be untouchable by Eastern standards. You would have a resort that you truly could not ski in one day...meaning more overnight stays and more $$$ spent by guests.
    is it weird that i love it how outpost is never open? i do a 5 minute hike with zero exertion and i have untouched or sparsely tracked powder runs deep in the afternoon, every time i ski pico, even days after a storm.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    is it weird that i love it how outpost is never open? i do a 5 minute hike with zero exertion and i have untouched or sparsely tracked powder runs deep in the afternoon, every time i ski pico, even days after a storm.
    Nope

Feel the same way.

I'm only pissed when I show up and the A Slope triple isn't spinning.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Nope

Feel the same way.

Every time I ski A-Slope I forget how steep the top part is. Short, but pretty freaking steep! I couldn't imagine doing that with the equipment in the 40s and 50s...
    2018-2019 1 day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 10/27
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Nope

Feel the same way.

Personally I find it irritating, bordering on downright fraudulent, when Pico advertises itself as 100% open but is not running the Outpost or A Slope chairlifts. Noticed this several times last year.

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Personally I find it irritating, bordering on downright fraudulent, when Pico advertises itself as 100% open but is not running the Outpost or A Slope chairlifts. Noticed this several times last year.
    They did that a lot in the ASC days.

Outpost is not a bad hike, but A Slope is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

New tunnels at killington are going to be a disaster. This was one of those ideas that looks good on paper and that’s it. I’m surprised Mt Blow didn’t try this dumb shit first

Also, Killy is going to be in trouble with completing this work. They bit off a bit much for 1 year. They are a first class resort. So hope they get it together.

On paper the tunnels look well engineered, but it will be interesting to see how they actually ski, and what kind of fencing they put around them.

Looks like some of them will ski a little bit like a roller when you go over them with a flattish approach, and then a sharper drop. Maybe with some decent speed you could catch some air off the downhill side. The pitch angle inside of them looks really mellow, so that should reduce crashes inside. I hope the pitch isn't so shallow that snowboarders get stuck. The tunnels are pretty long, so I wonder if they will need any artificial lighting inside for dark overcast days.

Somehow they will need to prevent people from going off the open ends from above, since that would be like a hucking a small cliff with a flat landing (or landing on the heads of cross traffic). When I've seen bridge/tunnels at other resorts, they usually have solid guardrails on the bridge. But I've never seen tunnels as long as these.

My worry is that they will get paranoid about accidents and put "Slow Zone" signs at every tunnel crossing, which would interrupt the flow of the trails and defeat the purpose of having them in the first place.

Summit Glades > Bushwacker > A-Slope isn't a longer hike than to Outpost. Actually it's flatter, you could skate most of it.

I do think they need to start advertising more clearly which lifts will be open and when. Also some updates during the mid week period in terms of expected terrain would be nice (especially when there is a mid week storm and you expect trail count to rise).

I would change my vote on the interconnect in a heartbeat if it also meant a noticeable terrain expansion.

Thread Information