• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

drjeff

You would think with the way airlines handle luggage they would have the hard cases for their skis. Kinda important to them...My hard case got the snot beat out of it on a direct flight.
The reality is once they get to Killington, they give their skis to their brand's and/or country's associated servicemen (if they're not ranked high enough to warrant a personal manufacturer's supplied serviceman, and any damage a soft bag (with likely serviceman packed, tightly bound, skis) damage could happen will be repaired and waxed to that specific days snow temps specific's shortly after the tecs become in possession of their skis!! #thesetecsaregood!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

The Swiss Team is at Sugarbush this morning training on Spring Fling. They closed the trail to the public until 10:00am.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Posted by*Jeff Temple*on November 20, 2017

Oh good, it’s warm and raining…* I never thought I would utter those words during the winter season, but I did say them on Sunday morning, following a night of temperatures in the 40s and steady rain. Although obviously not ideal weather for running a winter resort, on this particular morning I was happy to wake up to rain, rather than freezing precipitation that would have presented numerous operational difficulties for lifts, grooming and the Peak Lodge.*

In this case, there was an added benefit from the unfrozen moisture—our World Cup training and race trails (Skyelark and Superstar) were scheduled to be “watered” later that morning, and the rain was helping the cause.

To give you a little backstory, the snow surface that World Cup ski racers prefer is probably a little different from the surface that you or I prefer. They like the trail surface hard—very hard. To get it that way, water is often added to, and sometimes injected into, the snow.

To facilitate the watering of the race venue, we had “opened up” the snow surfaces on Saturday afternoon—basically tracked the surface with grooming tractors and left them as rough and porous as possible so the rain would penetrate the snow rather than running off. The more saturated the snow, the harder the surface gets once all that water freezes.

With warm temperatures lingering into Sunday morning, four to seven person crews of race volunteers and officials marched down Superstar, each crew working three snowguns to spray water over the entire course, soaking the snow even more thoroughly than the rain had the night before. Immediately following the water application, and timed to coincide with the significant drop in temperatures starting around noon Sunday, grooming tractors returned to the course to till in the wet snow and smooth it out. The water has since frozen making the course significantly harder.* Later in the week, a decision will be made by FIS to further “inject” the trail with even more water if needed; this is accomplished with long pipes and water jets.* This injector pipe is walked down the trail with injections occuring every few feet or less over the entire length of the course.

And, of course, the dropping temperatures are not only good for making World Cup race courses—they’re good for making snow too. Snowmaking is already back on line, and with World Cup snow already in place on Superstar and Skyelark, 100% of the capacity, including the extra World Cup resources, is going toward eexpanding terrain for Thanksgiving Weekend. To give you an idea of what you can expect in the next week or so, we plan to make snow on Snowdon (Chute, Bunny Buster and Killink) to get the Snowdon Poma and Snowdon Quad running by midweek. We’ll also be making snow on Lower East Fall, to have the Canyon Quad running for the weekend, and the Snowshed and Ramshead Learn To areas, which will be served by magic carpet lifts for the holiday weekend.

Thanksgiving and the*Xfinity Killington Cupare sure to make this an exciting and memorable week, I hope to see you here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

And here comes K with significant expansion! If weather continues to be cold like this, the first weekend of December could have a lot going on!

skiberg

Check out the Web cam, you can see them firming up the Course right now.

Jcb890

I've been trying to connect that cam for a few hours with no luck.Watched it this morning a few times.Maybe its just to much traffic on it?
Yeah, looks like it is down now. When I looked a couple hours earlier they weren't doing anything, but the course overall looks pretty impressive from the cam.

doublediamond

So is Highway Star who claims K needs 5 feet of snow on Superstar for the WC going to admit he's wrong?

From Jeff Temple directly: 18-19" is all that's needed

"The warmer than usual October was nerve racking, he admits. But he says the recent cold snap and a lot of 12 to 14 hour days have helped him and his staff meet the World Cup course requirements of 18 to 19 inches of hard pack"

http://digital.vpr.net/post/after-f...gain-host-womens-world-cup-nov-25-26#stream/0

thetrailboss

Staff member
So is Highway Star who claims K needs 5 feet of snow on Superstar for the WC going to admit he's wrong?

"The warmer than usual October was nerve racking, he admits. But he says the recent cold snap and a lot of 12 to 14 hour days have helped him and his staff meet the World Cup course requirements of 18 to 19 inches of hard pack"

http://digital.vpr.net/post/after-f...gain-host-womens-world-cup-nov-25-26#stream/0

You obviously don't know HS. He NEVER admits he is wrong. He also skis absolutely perfectly as any AZer can attest from this classic video:

skiur

I

18" of hardpack. I would expect you would need to blow snow about 4-5 feet deep so that after grooming and wetting and compressing the snow you end up with 18" of hardpack world cup ready snow.

doublediamond

Straight from the K2000/K3000 people:

" the snow density ratio will vary from approximately 0.38 to 0.48 for good
quality manmade snow. "

http://www.the-snowman.com/downloads/Man Made Snow Density Measure.pdf

***IF*** they made 5 feet at 0.38 you'd have 2.1 feet at 0.9 density, which would be pure ice with no air.

From the makers of the water injectors:

"Snow weight per m³
Natural snow 70 - 200 kg/m³
Artificial snow 350 - 400 kg/m³
Ice 900 kg/m³
Water 1,000 kg/m³
Giant Slalom ladies 500 kg/m³
Slalom men 650 kg/m³"

https://mobile.steinbach-alpin.com/userdata/5931/uploads/praesentationen/steinbach_alpin_new_e.pdf

That's 0.50 density for ladies racing.

Highway Star is full of shit.

Last edited:

drjeff

Another big crowd for the world cup!
e099e891ce2475a738ccc1834044eee0.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app