• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

Highway Star

This is rugged?

superstarquad-2015-0704f.jpg

superstarquad-2015-0704g.jpg

The only thing they need to worry about is getting over the water bars.

This is the kind of trail you need 5-feet on:

devilsfiddlequad-2010-1231a.jpg

You have NO concept.

See the snowmaking towers? They act like a snow gauge. It's very easy to tell how much snow is on the trail. You're on crack.

WWF-VT

doublediamond should stop the nonsense back and forth with Highwway Star as everyone knows that HWS is an authority on any topic related to skiing and Killington including skis, bindings, snow, snow making, resort management, marketing, accounting, public relations, food and beverage operations, ski school, racing programs, lift construction, lift operation and maintenance as well as any other subject that can be discussed in a thread on a ski forum PERIOD. I heard from a reliable source that POWDR and Killington have repeatedly tried to hire him to run their operations, but insiders have prevented his hiring in fear that Killington would become just about perfect which would result in a rapid decline of mindless discussion threads on Alpinezone and other ski forums.

doublediamond

Just because they make 20+ feet for the spring glacier doesn't mean they need 5 ft to open up the trail.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
How long has K been using their own K3000 series? Always wondered that.

As for depth, Superstar it is a rugged trail and will need closer to 5 feet of snow to open rather than 1.5. My guess it they'll aim for the 3-4 foot range.

machski

Look, the water bars need to be filled in, but that is easy by starting the make by aiming to fill those first. Given they will want to water inject if possible, I'd say 2.5ft average base depth. Some portions may need to be deeper pack while some can probably go less.

machski

As for Low E guns, Sunday River uses predominately SV10 guns on T2 and they push enough in marginal temps to allow T2 to go from bare ground on a Thursday afternoon to open Friday morning. Now, in that instance it was now where near to ready for a race, but there was enough down for a great first day in October. (In all fairness, they do have some Sr7/14 guns as backups at certain points and occasionally mix these in but only at the points where the gun spacing is poor).

freeski

doublediamond should stop the nonsense back and forth with Highwway Star as everyone knows that HWS is an authority on any topic related to skiing and Killington including skis, bindings, snow, snow making, resort management, marketing, accounting, public relations, food and beverage operations, ski school, racing programs, lift construction, lift operation and maintenance as well as any other subject that can be discussed in a thread on a ski forum PERIOD. I heard from a reliable source that POWDR and Killington have repeatedly tried to hire him to run their operations, but insiders have prevented his hiring in fear that Killington would become just about perfect which would result in a rapid decline of mindless discussion threads on Alpinezone and other ski forums.
This is the best post I've ever read on any ski forum and I've read thousands. 8)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
If the FIS agrees, this is huge for K-mart! They are going to dump the shit of of Supe to ensure they get it up to FIS par. The prediction is 15-20 mil in revenue for the resort. What do you think they get on a normal Turkey weekend? Nowhere even close to that number. It is practically a no-brainer for them. Plus, as others have said, after the race, supe will be that much better off. They'll only need to build a 25 foot base to get it up to 30' for spring season.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org

This is the best thing on Alinezone lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone, I blame auto correct ;-)

drjeff

Given that HKD is the official supplier of the US Ski and Snowboard Team, Snowlogic has been as of earlier this year using Killington in their industry promotional print ads, the simple, undisputed fact that Superstar, even before Killington brings in any extra "firepower" is one of the most densely covered trails for air, water and hydrants anywhere, that as long as mother nature is anything but WAY above normal next November, that K will be able to pull this off should the FIS award them these proposed races.

Killington just has far too much snowmaking talent and options available to them at their disposal than most anybody out there. Additionally, since I'm guessing that the VT ski industry as a whole would realize that the entire state can benefit a bit from the coverage this can bring, that should K's snowmakers need some extra help, or some extra pieces of specific equipment on short notice, that there would be trucks loaded with whatever they needed heading from other mountains to K to help out

Highway Star

Superstar has always been open in November. The Beast can't wait to make this your worst prediction yet ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone, I blame auto correct ;-)

Superstar trail is (almost) never open in November.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here's a question. The Waterville Valley races in 1991 were in March. What is preventing schedulers from looking at similar dates for the Northeast?

Wouldn't it make sense for the growth of the sport that the Northeast gets a tour stop each year? With the huge population base we have here, it seems like the best way to get exposure for our sport.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Its Official....:lol::lol::lol:

Introduction of Killington as a ladies’ World Cup organizer
Twenty-five years after the last World Cup races in Waterville Valley, N.H., the World Cup tour is heading back on the East Coast of the U.S. The ski racing tradition is very strong in that area of North America, which will make the stop in Killington, Vt., in the 2016-17 season very exciting. Killington is taking over the weekend Aspen traditionally has in the calendar as Aspen will be hosting the World Cup Finals in 2017.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/alpine-update-from-the-fis-autumn-meeting/

drjeff

Here's a question. The Waterville Valley races in 1991 were in March. What is preventing schedulers from looking at similar dates for the Northeast?

Wouldn't it make sense for the growth of the sport that the Northeast gets a tour stop each year? With the huge population base we have here, it seems like the best way to get exposure for our sport.

The reality is that in Jan through the end of the WC season in late March, unless the world championships or the Olympics are in North America, you're not in the foreseeable future going to get a race in the US in that time frame - logistically to get the athletes from Europe over to the US, acclimated to the time change, snow conditions and potentially altitude if a Western race was added, you'd be talking almost a 2 week schedule situation for a weekend of racing - no mid week SL's or GS's as are often a part of the European schedule could happen, and given that 3 out of every 4 years the world cup tour schedule is already "consumed" with a 2+ week either World Championships or Olympics, it would be a scheduling nightmare, even though personally I'd love to see it happen!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
What were the special circumstances that allowed for the Waterville races?

I guess I just feel it's foolish to not have a race every year within driving distance of NYC.

steamboat1

Superstar trail is (almost) never open in November.
Maybe not top to bottom but the upper section (headwall?) certainly is. It usually opens weeks before the rest of the trail. Same thing with upper Downdraft (headwall?). It's usually one of the first trails to open after they get Great Northern open off the top going over to North Ridge. Sometimes before they even have TTB skiing. Killington holds their annual Turkey Jam every year on upper Downdraft. The rest of the trail opens much later.

edit: this is why I agree with areas calling trails upper, middle, lower. Gives you a much better idea of what's actually open instead of just saying Superstar is open.

Last edited: