• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

Highway Star

Maybe not top to bottom but the upper section (headwall?) certainly is. It usually opens weeks before the rest of the trail. Same thing with upper Downdraft (headwall?). It's usually one of the first trails to open after they get Great Northern open off the top going over to North Ridge. Sometimes before they even have TTB skiing. Killington holds their annual Turkey Jam every year on upper Downdraft. The rest of the trail opens much later.

edit: this is why I agree with areas calling trails upper, middle, lower. Gives you a much better idea of what's actually open instead of just saying Superstar is open.

So, it's not open, like I said.

steamboat1

Its Official....:lol::lol::lol:

Introduction of Killington as a ladies’ World Cup organizer
Twenty-five years after the last World Cup races in Waterville Valley, N.H., the World Cup tour is heading back on the East Coast of the U.S. The ski racing tradition is very strong in that area of North America, which will make the stop in Killington, Vt., in the 2016-17 season very exciting. Killington is taking over the weekend Aspen traditionally has in the calendar as Aspen will be hosting the World Cup Finals in 2017.

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/alpine-update-from-the-fis-autumn-meeting/
I think you're just kidding (judging by the smileys). This is from the same website you linked.

"The bid will be submitted to the FIS at its fall meetings in Zurichthat run through Saturday. It is anticipated that the bid will then be put onto the draft 2016-17 World Cup calendar that will be finalized next June."

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I think you're just kidding (judging by the smileys). This is from the same website you linked.

"The bid will be submitted to the FIS at its fall meetings in Zurichthat run through Saturday. It is anticipated that the bid will then be put onto the draft 2016-17 World Cup calendar that will be finalized next June."

The meeting was held on Friday. I was not kidding. Sounds official to me, but what do I know....

drjeff

It sounds as if it will happen but it also says the calendar won't be finalized until June so things could change.

The reality is if the USSA backs this, and with Aspen, who usually hosts the women's WC November US races hosting the '17 Alpine World Championships, this is a done deal! :flag:

yeggous

For the purposes of this thread, the WHOLE of the trail is not open, and thus it is NOT OPEN, ESPECIALLY TO HOLD A RACE ON IT.

This is just a matter of priorities for management. Bretton Woods and Wildcat open up top-to-bottom in early November using 100% low-E HKD and SnoLogic guns. Meanwhile Killington skiers are still playing with themselves up on the Northridge chair.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

For the purposes of this thread, the WHOLE of the trail is not open, and thus it is NOT OPEN, ESPECIALLY TO HOLD A RACE ON IT.

Let's be 100% honest HS - if K brings in extra snowmaking firepower, as they say they will, and K has the typical from Nov 1st window of of snowmaking weather (not continuous, but at least 1/2 of those days, if not more) that they typically do down to K-1 base, with a slight shift in their classical snowmaking roll out pattern, snow coverage for a WC race the last weekend of November won't be an issue say 8 years out of 10.

As for the crowds, world cup race or not, we all know that it's going to be a sh$t show on the hill at K Thanksgiving weekend.

If K pulls this off, who knows, maybe their revenues will increase enough for some new infrastructure for them

Smellytele

Let's be 100% honest HS - if K brings in extra snowmaking firepower, as they say they will, and K has the typical from Nov 1st window of of snowmaking weather (not continuous, but at least 1/2 of those days, if not more) that they typically do down to K-1 base, with a slight shift in their classical snowmaking roll out pattern, snow coverage for a WC race the last weekend of November won't be an issue say 8 years out of 10.

As for the crowds, world cup race or not, we all know that it's going to be a sh$t show on the hill at K Thanksgiving weekend.

If K pulls this off, who knows, maybe their revenues will increase enough for some new infrastructure for them

While most people probably are not like me I will change my Thanksgiving weekend normal K visit to head somewhere else. Not that my money will be missed. I usually do not find K that much of a shit show that weekend.

SIKSKIER

I'm guessing this is a one time event anyway isnt it?Wont Aspen get it back the next year?The only reason its up for grabs is because Aspen is hosting the WC's that year.

Jully

Well, if the event goes really well I'd assume that it could lead to some long term changes to shift something back to the east coast.

Highway Star

Well, if the event goes really well I'd assume that it could lead to some long term changes to shift something back to the east coast.

Well, they seem to be having a problem with snow reliablity and temperatures in the West and Europe....? So maybe eastern events are starting to make more sense with the snowmaking.

Jully

Well, they seem to be having a problem with snow reliablity and temperatures in the West and Europe....? So maybe eastern events are starting to make more sense with the snowmaking.

That's a good point and a really awesome possibility.

doublediamond

The USSA has expressly stated that they want an eastern race because of the population base. If this is goes off without a hitch, I'm sure you can bet they'll come back starting in 2018. There isn't much draw for an Aspen race especially with Birds of Prey a week away. Now they'll have two races in two markets. $ucce$$.

machski

Highway Star

HS, I see about 2 of the posters over there being negative and I'm guessing from one's comments that would be you. Most of it seemed positive to me. Just go pout in a corner for another 13 months and then we can all see who's doing the crying.

I can't wait till it's 60F and pouring rain for this event.

machski

I can't wait till it's 60F and pouring rain for this event.

Buddy, that happens over in Europe in the middle of the season as well. Look at Cypress for the Vancouver olympics. And that was February!!! You complain about not getting events at Killington. They get one and now you complain about that. It can rain and be 60F even in January and February. There can be a complete meltdown with temps push 90F mid to late March as there was several years ago and have the entire mountain shuttered. Guess Killington should never try to hold an event, the weather could suck. Killington has a great snowmaking system and the setup on SuperStar is likely one of the best on the planet for a single trail. I don't know what more you could ask for. Holding any ski event is a bit of a risk, no matter what time of the season or location.