• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USSA Proposes World Cup At Killington

skiur

Anyone else notice that not only HS but also steamboat1 has been missing the same time period?

Coincidence?

I have met both of them and they are definitely separate people.

slatham

Fantastic. Saw the Sunday slalom and hope to go back again this year - hopefully with my youngest who missed last year!!

MEtoVTSkier

FIS paid for most of this! They even paid for snowmaking....

An Solimano told town officials, the cost to the resort for last year’s event was more than $2.5 million. That figure was offset by $1.3 million in revenue, most of which came from sponsors. The net cost to the resort, he added, was $1.2 million.

New South Ridge Quad finally coming too... eventually!

https://vtdigger.org/2017/04/03/kil...il&utm_term=0_dc3c5486db-0817a1cb96-405602665

benski

Wasn't it already stated FIS was paying for the snowmaking for the event. That definitely greatly reduces the cost of building the glacier.

mriceyman

Big time exposure may be well worth it for the future of the resort. Killington was mentioned about a thousand times in the 2 day broadcast.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Big time exposure may be well worth it for the future of the resort. Killington was mentioned about a thousand times in the 2 day broadcast.

I also noticed Killington was mentioned quite a few times at the end of the season as well during the Squaw Valley and Aspen races as the place "where the season kicked off". It was usually in reference to Shiffrin's season where she won the opening race in Killington. IMO, as long as Shiffrin's standing as FIS's best female stands, I think the Killington race will remain on the schedule. She has a huge contingent of fans here on the east coast.

MEtoVTSkier

What?

She neither won the opening race (GS Sölden 10/22) nor the opening Killington race (GS 11/26).

She won the Ladies' Slalom 11/27

5th in the GS the day before.

She DID win the 2nd event, and took second place in the season opener.

Anyway, yes... the fan base is big right now.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

It read to me that it still cost K 1.2 million

That's really not a big deal.

Lets conservatively say they have a 20% drop-off in attendance due to novelty wearing off etc.. and they draw 24,000 folks. Well, that's only $50 in ancillary revenue you have to pull in per head (plus COGS obviously) to break even.

And if you come $200,000 short of breaking even, well, given Killington's enormous marketing budget, that's probably $200,000 better spent then they could ever dream of spending on silly banner adds I'll never click on, and bic pens I'll never use.

jimmywilson69

Just so people are aware, the cost to Killington was beyond just snow making. They had to house and feed the race teams and staff, plus all of the other things such as the "village" at the bottom of SuperStar. I'm sure FIS kicks in some money, but there is a lot of expenses for something like this.

That being said its great they did a good enough job that FIS was confident to give them 2 more opportunities.

skiur

You can't put a price on the amount of free advertising that Killington got from the world cup.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just so people are aware, the cost to Killington was beyond just snow making. They had to house and feed the race teams and staff, plus all of the other things such as the "village" at the bottom of SuperStar. I'm sure FIS kicks in some money, but there is a lot of expenses for something like this.

That being said its great they did a good enough job that FIS was confident to give them 2 more opportunities.

...and the FIS implied that Killington is better than Aspen. Think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone