• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moving to CT with 5 kids, where to ski?

ct_ski_dad

Hi, new to forum. Moving to Weston CT in December from Michigan. 5 kids (10,9,7,6,6). Kids are intermediate I am a little better, wife stuck at beginner but a good sport. 25 or so ski days a year. Ski mostly Boyne Mountain in Michigan, usually two trips out west last couple years (Snowmass, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek). Favorite was Snowmass but all were good trips.

For this winter have MCP so will hit Stowe, bought k-packs, bought family pass at MRG (kids passes then free). Anywhere else we should specifically seek out? VT resorts good for weekends but where good place for day trips? Anywhere in CT? Hunter? Jiminy?

Any special family days , winter carnivals to seek out?
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So... a few questions first of all. Are you an intermediate at Boyne or an intermediate at Snowmass? And have you skied at Stowe or Mad River Glen before? Even if you ski the diamonds at Boyne you'll struggle to get down the blues at Stowe and Mad River Glen is a death sentence.

And what is "day trip" distance for you? Some people on this forum won't drive more than 90 minutes to get to the mountain while others are willing to drive 5+ each way.

ct_ski_dad

So I am pretty comfortable on blacks everywhere I've been but don't look pretty on moguls and not hucking cliffs. They put me at level 8 at Vail ski school, boys level 5-6, twins and wife 2-3. Never been to any of these areas, looking to explore over the winter.

Michigan hills are <500 vertical and also small in acreage, so even if beginner areas are smallish at these places they probably more than we used to.

Day trip say <2 hours each way?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I still do not recommend doing MRG. You will be in for a VERY rude awakening.

Not trying to be rude, but it seems money is not a concern for you, so try all the mountains you can, then get the season pass. If you're looking for family mountains with a Midwest skiing mentality (groomers) Okemo in southern VT is a good fit. Killington will give you much more variety than just groomers and gives you plenty to experience. Same with Sugarbush. Stowe and MRG are great East Coast mountains for an East Coast skier. Be very careful. Get someone who knows the mountain. There's groomed ways down that are fantastic, or you could be in for 2,000+ vertical feet of ice, moguls, or ice. Neither the midwest nor the West can prepare you for that.

As for daytrips Ski Sundown and Mohawk are your best bets. Not too challenging, 500 vertical feet. From there Catamount or Butternut in Massachusetts are the next step. A bit steeper, more variety, 1,000 vertical feet. Jiminy Peak is 1.75 hours from my house so it'd be 2+ for you. It's essentially a larger version of Butternut or Mohawk. Everything is groomed, busy, still fun. Probably the most efficient mountain in the East for vertical. 5 minutes up, 2 minutes down, 1,100 vertical feet each way. Easy to get 50,000+ vertical feet in a day.

WWF-VT

Did you buy a season pass or Family Mad Card for Mad River Glen ?

I suggest you get a couple of Quad Packs for Sugarbush. Kids 6 and under can get a season pass at Sugarbush for $30.

The Mad River Valley is a great weekend destination option with Sugarbush and MRG.

Jully

I'd recommend trying berkshire east in MA too. Further than the other day trip places but still definitely day trip material. Great family and non resort esque mountain that has both solid beginner and intermediate offerings. Less crowded than Jiminy too.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'd recommend trying berkshire east in MA too. Further than the other day trip places but still definitely day trip material. Great family and non resort esque mountain that has both solid beginner and intermediate offerings. Less crowded than Jiminy too.
Plus, from Weston, he can just fly up thr Meritt to 91 to rt 2. Easy drive.

gmcunni

western ct sucks for ski travel, i live there too. 2 hours isn't going to get you much. i live in Monroe CT - 2 hours or less =
Mohawk
Ski Sundown
Butternut
Catamount
Berkshire East
Jiminy Peak.
Thunder Ridge (formerly Big Birch)
plus another couple very small places.

i used to have a pass to ski sundown - 1:05 door to door. for kids they have lots of programs and some variety in terrain (parks, bumps, jumps, racing) but it isn't a tall mountain. Mohawk is nice too, skis a little bigger than Sundown, gets a little more snow but they don't do the park/jump thing that the kids these days go for. Both Sundown and Mohawk offer night skiing if you are so inclined.

Most of these get pretty crowded as they are day trips for large metro areas. you can check out CT Ski Council (http://www.skiclub.com/) for some memberships that could get you some discounts to different places. a lot of variety in club offerings including lodges or just basic discounts. I join CAST = $15 for family and you get some great pricing at a lot of different mountains.

my kids are grown so i don't ski much with them anymore. the past couple years i've gravitated to Berkshire East. fun place with a good variety of terrain and 2

if you stretch the 2 hours a bit you open up a new, arguably better, group of mountains. You can get to the NY Catskills (Hunter, beleayre, windam, plattkill) or southern VT. Mt Snow, Magic, Bromley, Stratton, Okemo are all 3 hours or less.

Friday night traffic north up 91 sucks.

BenedictGomez

Plattekill

Might be a touch over 2 hours for you, but it's just a great little mountain, and fantastic for families. Let the kids go, there's only 2 lifts, and all trails from either lift filter back to 1 location.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I still do not recommend doing MRG. You will be in for a VERY rude awakening.

Not necessarily. I see a ton of families there every time I go. It's challenging no doubt, but the experience helps people improve quickly.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't ask where people are from when I'm there, lol. All I can tell you is I see a lot of families with lower level skiers there. Many more than you'd expect for a place with it's reputation.

prsboogie

ct_ski_dad, since no one else has said it, Welcome to the AZ, where ever your from and no matter how good you ski, your in for a great season with innumerable options open to you and the family. Get out and slide!!!

boston_e

Welcome to the boards. You didn't exactly mention what you are looking for but I believe a lot of CT families choose Bromley as a very family friendly mountain. Pico is another nice family friendly place.

ct_ski_dad

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we have a lot of places to try. I bought the family mad card so going to MRG for at least a weekend so will find out for myself. Other areas nearby if is not for us.
Scott

Tin

Welcome. Berkshire East is where it is at for day trips if you're in western CT. Takes me about 1:50 from New Haven. Has everything from great grooming to some of the best glades in southern New England. The lodge has an old school feel but if thats not your thing the bar area is quite nice.

steamboat1

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like we have a lot of places to try. I bought the family mad card so going to MRG for at least a weekend so will find out for myself. Other areas nearby if is not for us.
Scott

Antelope off the single chair is a blue trail & usually groomed. Off the Sunny Side double is Vixen which is a green trail usually groomed. Plenty of other blue & green terrain off both Sunny Side double, Birdland double & Practice slope double. You're going to love the place.