• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2016 AZ Summit?

xwhaler

Any news on this? Rumors? Paging Nick...ski season is starting please come out of hibernation!

ScottySkis

He only replies to facecrap now. We can get mini one I vermont St Bush please that might be my only skiing I due this winter.
( he knows next time be logs in to Facebookcrappy page for sure.)

Tin

He is too busy...

lunapic_137063821953916_2.gif

BenedictGomez

Could the late lack of information mean he might planning to have it someplace other than Sugarloaf for once?

(wishing thinking on my part that it might be someplace reachable by most of the northeastern civilization)

dlague

Could the late lack of information mean he might planning to have it someplace other than Sugarloaf for once?

(wishing thinking on my part that it might be someplace reachable by most of the northeastern civilization)

No last year it took a while to develop.

ScottySkis

Absolutely if jk can ski I don't not good at setting this stuff. We could have one at Platty one at Berkshire e to which I been to e
Yet

ScottySkis

Susan@plattekill we have to reach out to to set up mini a zone at Platty but the owner is interested in doing I know.

BenedictGomez

What are the lodging options nearby?

Tent? Therein lies the problem. There are some tiny motels along the way, and one fancy wacky looking place nearby, but the closest town with a bunch of lodging is likely Kingston (off 87), but that's a 1 hour drive. Not a dealbreaker I suppose, but not the sort of place where we'd likely find a big hotel where everyone can stay that has a great bar.

But I assure you, everyone on this board would love Plattekill. It's like stepping back into skiing in the 1960s (not that I'd know of course given I wasn't alive, but you know....how I imagine), but in a good way. A bit like MRG, minus any hint of snooty elitism. Great family place. Great locals place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't mind being an hour away if it was just a few people, but a large group it's best to be close by and yes, have a great bar.

Scruffy

What are the lodging options nearby?

Platty is not big enough for a multiday summit, even a mini one, anyway, so whoever plans such a thing would do well do plan lodging near Hunter/Tannersville or Belleyare and ski 2 out of the 3 for a weekend, or all 3 for a long weekend. All 3 mountains are within easy driving distance of each other.

ScottySkis

Platty is not big enough for a multiday summit, even a mini one, anyway, so whoever plans such a thing would do well do plan lodging near Hunter/Tannersville or Belleyare and ski 2 out of the 3 for a weekend, or all 3 for a long weekend. All 3 mountains are within easy driving distance of each other.

+1 I think this is the best bet. Hotel by Bell flat is only 15 minutes to Platty.

bvibert

Staff member

I wouldn't hold your breath. Sugarloaf has been really good to AZ. I dare say there never would have been a summit of this magnitude if it weren't for them stepping up.

As has been said in the past - That's not to say that there couldn't be another summit closer to NY. I know some attempts have been made in VT, but nothing has really worked out so far.

HowieT2

I wouldn't hold your breath. Sugarloaf has been really good to AZ. I dare say there never would have been a summit of this magnitude if it weren't for them stepping up.

As has been said in the past - That's not to say that there couldn't be another summit closer to NY. I know some attempts have been made in VT, but nothing has really worked out so far.

weren't there a bunch of guys at sugarbush a couple years ago?

Rowsdower

If we're gonna do Platty and want multi-day, why not do another day or two at the other Catskills' mountains? Belle and Hunter can easily kill a day and both have some fun terrain. Is that a possibility? I know lodging options are much better over towards Hunter.