• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015-2016 Snowmaking Pron

yeggous

Just this past summer? What trails?

If it happened, they were very quiet about it. Last year when they replaced 9+ miles they were quite specific about the project and had a press release up on their webpage. Still there actually: http://www.skiwildcat.com/press-room.html?key=5618

I haven't read anything for improvements this summer other than new glades.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

You know that they did replace something like 4 miles of pipe and also reconfigure/install some of the pumping stations, especially on the upper mountain this past summer, don't you?

That info came straight off pictures and updates on the GM's FB page

No I didn't know that! I just combed his FB page and didn't see anything over the summer. As others have mentioned, what trails? Upper Wildcat?

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is an awesome video!!

Earlier in the week I made a comment under some of the snowmaking pictures on Facebook asking for a picture from across the parking lot to show all of Lynx as they had only posted isolated area shots. They responded, "Stay tuned. We've got some great footage that will blow the doors off a parking lot shot." Understatement of the year. I certainly wasn't expecting such an awesome video. Hopefully we get lucky with some cold weather late next week and get a Halloween surprise. :daffy:

Newpylong

Let me help you with that...

The pipe on Upper Wildcat is ancient. It is very unlikely to hold pressure. They already made snow on half of Lift Lion last year. With fuel prices low this year that is a definitive maybe. With a limited budget, management would rather use the snowmaking budget to open earlier when demand is high rather than expand snowmaking terrain during January when nobody shows up anyways due to the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Yes - thank you, I am aware of both items. I meant I would like to ask someone from the mountain if there are replacement plans for Upper Wildcat and what it would take to make snow on the entirety of Lift Lion (above Catapult). I do not get up there much - but I don't ever remember it happening. Like you said, could be budget.

http://www.skiwildcat.com/cmsfiles/image/WCSNWMKValveStation_web.jpg Top pipes are water, bottom air.

This is a cool picture from when they did all that work appears to show Polecat / Lift Lion / Catapult lines. I am guessing the Lynx/Upper Polecat line is their uphill feed because that is where they put the boosters before last year?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
If they replaced the pipe you're talking about, they could get both Lift Lion and Top Cat online with snowmaking. The pipe is between the two trails and with the width of the trails being what it it is, using portable surface guns makes the most sense up there. Having the equipment and budget to make snow on everything off the top would be amazing. It would certainly help prevent Lynx and Catapult becoming skating rinks by 11AM, which is often the case.

Newpylong

My guess is past that black elbow the pipe is the original. Like you said, they would make a big deal out of it if they replaced it - especially because it's in the tree line. Not an easy task.

Neither trail is very conducive to snow making with the rocks etc., especially Top Cat. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a budget issue.

http://www.alpinezone.com/news-and-featured-articles/alpinezone-challenge-2014-brian-heon-wildcat/

"Brad J: Has there been any thought to blow snow on gondiline ( I know that’s not what its now called, but skiing Wildcat since 1966 that’s what I and a lot of people call it!) top to bottom, it really is the premier trail on the mountain and should be treated as such, lots of snow no grooming.Brian Heon:
With our new snow making system in place, we certainly are going to have a lot more options on the upper mountain. In a perfect world, our priority off the summit will be Lynx, Polecat, and Catapult. I might even venture to say that Lift Lion would be next over Upper Wildcat….. we’ll see! To simply answer your question, Yes! "

Last edited:

WoodCore

Wildcat was also testing one of newest guns from HKD, the Phazer!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• HKD Phazer.jpg
    HKD Phazer.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 180
  • HKD Phazer 2.jpg
    HKD Phazer 2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 180

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Wildcat video is simply amazing. Really nice to see that from them. Agree with the comment about them removing the Catapult Triple. Damn, that would be an awesome early and late season set up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Even better, put a Timberline Palmer lift style mid-station on the HSQ for early / late season upper mountain capabilities.

Fast forward to 2:15 for the funky summer only mid-station for the lift

drjeff

Even better, put a Timberline Palmer lift style mid-station on the HSQ for early / late season upper mountain capabilities.

They have that essentially same HSQ mid station set up on the Orange Bubble HSQ at The Canyons, err Park City Resort I guess is its proper name now, where it passes Lookout Cabin - the only difference is the mid station there has the mechanism that raises and lowers the bubbles as well as taking the chair off and back on the main haul rope

thetrailboss

Staff member
They have that essentially same HSQ mid station set up on the Orange Bubble HSQ at The Canyons, err Park City Resort I guess is its proper name now, where it passes Lookout Cabin - the only difference is the mid station there has the mechanism that raises and lowers the bubbles as well as taking the chair off and back on the main haul rope

+ 1

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..

Looked like a pretty slim summer! Though its pretty bad right now...They are not even open!

jrd100

I was up in Pinkham Notch last Saturday (10/17/15). Check out the white ribbon at the top of the quad. Can't wait!
wildcatMakingSnow.jpg

Newpylong

Used to go there every summer, it is funky. Lift is usually closed in winter account too much snow to even operate up there. The double it replaced was pretty cool too.