• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gloves

Cornhead

Ha, I ended up giving mine to my son as a Christmas present. I bought some Nikwax leather and fabric spray that I intended using on them. I put it in the box with the gloves, but he determined it was too large to take on the plane. He should've treated them before he left, but he didn't. My POW mittens I bought from Sierra Trading Post came with a packet of Nikwax leather treatment. I put that on those the other day, I've yet to use them.

When I was about 12 I bought a beautiful pair of nubuck Redwing hiking boots. I treated them with Snoseal, they looked like shit afterwards. I don't know if there were any treatments at the time that would've preserved their looks.

We'll see how the gloves hold up. He says he burns through gloves, he's a darksider. I asked him if it was due to constantly having to strap in, I guess so.

moresnow

We'll see how the gloves hold up. He says he burns through gloves, he's a darksider. I asked him if it was due to constantly having to strap in, I guess so.

It's all the knuckle dragging.

Cornhead

It's all the knuckle dragging.

If that's the case, they probably won't last either, fabric on the backside. I still might pick up another pair for myself, it was an easy gift, and I have the POW mittens. I like the big gauntlets of the FTP's, I prefer putting my jacket sleves into gauntlets to pulling my sleves over the cuffs. The Velcro inevitability gives up the ghost on the jacket sleves. I actually replaced it on my last jacket.

It is weird, the FTP gloves are rather bulky, and the POW mittens are quite the opposite. Maybe I should've got the POW gloves, and the FTP mittens. I'm curious to see how warm the POW mittens are. I have a pair of liner gloves that I wear with mittens when it is very cold. They should be dry, the Nikwax treatment should help, and they do have Goretex liners.

JimG.

Staff member
If that's the case, they probably won't last either, fabric on the backside. I still might pick up another pair for myself, it was an easy gift, and I have the POW mittens. I like the big gauntlets of the FTP's, I prefer putting my jacket sleves into gauntlets to pulling my sleves over the cuffs. The Velcro inevitability gives up the ghost on the jacket sleves. I actually replaced it on my last jacket.

It is weird, the FTP gloves are rather bulky, and the POW mittens are quite the opposite. Maybe I should've got the POW gloves, and the FTP mittens. I'm curious to see how warm the POW mittens are. I have a pair of liner gloves that I wear with mittens when it is very cold. They should be dry, the Nikwax treatment should help, and they do have Goretex liners.

My hands would sweat with that many layers.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I must admit that I used my FTP gloves this past weekend in some really cold temps and they were quite warm. I may yet change my mind on them from my first impression depending on how well they hold up vs. time. My BD gloves are practically indestructable but have seem to lost some warmth over the years.

drjeff

I must admit that I used my FTP gloves this past weekend in some really cold temps and they were quite warm. I may yet change my mind on them from my first impression depending on how well they hold up vs. time. My BD gloves are practically indestructable but have seem to lost some warmth over the years.

Gloves more and I'm realizing just like boots, "pack out" over time. And my hunch is as they pack out, the insulation gets compressed and not as much air can be stored in the insulation, and that air within the insulation is what helps with the warmth of the gloves.

This is becoming more and more of an issue with me as I move through my mid 40's and for sure the circulation in my fingers (and toes as well) isn't what it used to be, and I am noticing that I do get cold fingers easier than I used to :(

Just another lovely "joy" of the aging process!!! :smash: :rolleyes:

hammer

My FTP gloves did pretty well for me at Loon last week. While it wasn't frigid out, it was cold enough, and on most runs the gloves kept my hands warm without hand warmers (no spot to put them). Only downside was that I should have gone with a size larger so I could wear liners with them.

I did treat the leather which darkened it a bit, no big deal.

Scruffy

Several people have commented on the soft shell backside as a negative. This was designed that way for breathability to maintain maximum warmth versus waterproof membranes, which while gortex and the like work ok for jackets, don't work well for gloves, thus leaving you with cold wet soggy hands. You shouldn't add waterproofing to the softshell back of the glove, let them breath.

There is more info about their gloves on their website, but it's kinda hidden, so most don't read it.
http://www.freethepowder.com/pages/about-us
http://www.freethepowder.com/pages/glove-design-philosophy
http://www.freethepowder.com/pages/leather-care

I am not affiliated with their company.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
My FTP gloves did pretty well for me at Loon last week. While it wasn't frigid out, it was cold enough, and on most runs the gloves kept my hands warm without hand warmers (no spot to put them). Only downside was that I should have gone with a size larger so I could wear liners with them.

I did treat the leather which darkened it a bit, no big deal.
I just put the handwarmers in the glove with my hand. Keep it on the backside of my fingers while skiing so it doesn't interfere with my grip.

Skikarl

I just ordered a pair of Kinco 901 ski mitts... I will report back with how they perform... My guess is they will perform better than regular Kincos because the '901' series is specially designed for skiing/ ski patrol.