• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gloves

Quietman

Got my gloves in today.
1) I dare anyone to find a "defect" on them
B) the overall quality is great
3rd) I can't imagine a better value for what I see.
I will say the fit is snug, which they say on the site they will loosen up some so I think the after break-in period the fit will be perfect!

Agree on all points. I don't have big hands at all and the XLs are snug. Hope they "pack out" a little. Quote from their site Still not sure: most of our size exchanges are for a larger size. These are replacing 20 yr old EMS Gates gloves that have been shoe goo'd and duck taped for years. I love them, but its time to let them go. One disappointment, the Free the Powder gloves are made in Taiwan not Utah.

xwhaler

Got my factory "seconds" today. As previously mentioned virtually impossible to find anything wrong with them.
I have an average to small hand and got the XLs and they are pretty snug to start.

They appear to be well made and I like how high the gaiter goes up beyond the wrist. Bit further than the old EMS gore tex I'm replacing.

Sticker on gloves said Made in Pakistan. Time will tell but as of now seem like a super value for $44 shipped

Quietman

FYI: Check your gloves carefully! I just found a tear/missed stitching in the inner liner between 2 finger slots in one of my gloves. Good thing I put them on again or I may not have noticed it until ski season. Hopefully this is an isolated issue. It's too far inside of the glove for me to try to repair.

Guess now I'll be able to report on their customer service........

wa-loaf

FYI: Check your gloves carefully! I just found a tear/missed stitching in the inner liner between 2 finger slots in one of my gloves. Good thing I put them on again or I may not have noticed it until ski season. Hopefully this is an isolated issue. It's too far inside of the glove for me to try to repair.

Guess now I'll be able to report on their customer service........

Did you buy one of the seconds? That might be the defect ...

Quietman

Yes, but the defects were only supposed to be in the finish of the leather.

Great response from customer service!

Thanks for your note, but I'm very sorry that you received a pair of gloves with a QC issue. Our policy is to replace the defective item for you immediately, with the request that you send the defective pair back to us so that we can assess what went wrong. I will ship you a replacement pair today, along with a pre-addressed poly bag so that you can just drop the defective pair back in the mail to us.
Our apologies, again, for this inconvenience. We should have you squared away in a couple of days. Thanks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
wow

that is great service. Usually a place will want their goods returned first before sending out a replacement.

wa-loaf

Yes, but the defects were only supposed to be in the finish of the leather.

Great response from customer service!

Thanks for your note, but I'm very sorry that you received a pair of gloves with a QC issue. Our policy is to replace the defective item for you immediately, with the request that you send the defective pair back to us so that we can assess what went wrong. I will ship you a replacement pair today, along with a pre-addressed poly bag so that you can just drop the defective pair back in the mail to us.
Our apologies, again, for this inconvenience. We should have you squared away in a couple of days. Thanks.

Nice!

wow

that is great service. Usually a place will want their goods returned first before sending out a replacement.

Had a good experience with Sierra Trading post. Bought a jacket for my daughter that was too small and returned it. They gave immediate credit for it so I could order her a new one.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Got my Free the Powder gloves today.

On the positive side: I cannot tell that they are 2nds. I don't see any blemishes on the leather. I will give them a more thorough inspection later in light of Quietman's experience.

On the negative side: they don't seem to compare to the quality, warmth or durability of my BD guide gloves.

Granted the BD's were, on sale, 2x the cost of the Free the Power gloves. But sometimes, you get what you pay for. In this case, time will tell when I can try them out in the snow. Worst case scenario, I use them for xc days or for stacking wood.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If your gloves are not a fashion statement and you are a 50 (to 100) day a season skier, there may be 10 (to 20) days where cold is a serious problem. Handwarmers (not even on sale) can be had for $0.75 or $7.50 (or $15) for the season. Now, go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and buy a pair of insulated work gloves for between $5 and $8. The cost for comfortable and warm gloves for an entire season is now reduced to less than the cost of lunch at most ski areas!

deadheadskier

Staff member
True... .but there's more to gloves than just warmth for some people. There's comfort, dexterity, breathability and water resistance to consider as well. Also features. I like the little squeegee on my gloves for cleaning goggles.

I've never been a fan of hand warmers. I just don't like his the little packet feels when it's crammed into my gloves.

yeggous

there may be 10 (to 20) days where cold is a serious problem

Only 20% of days cold is a problem? I am trying to guesstimate this one out myself, and am coming up with a larger percentage. I think I am biased based on where I ski. Thinking further if I was some place lower elevation or further south this would probably be a reasonable number.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Only 20% of days cold is a problem? I am trying to guesstimate this one out myself, and am coming up with a larger percentage. I think I am biased based on where I ski. Thinking further if I was some place lower elevation or further south this would probably be a reasonable number.

So figure it's 50% and do the math. It's still a bargain! (BTW: If you get the handwarmers on sale, you should be able to work the price down to $0.50.)

hammer

Got my FTP gloves yesterday. No issues with fit as far as I can tell. Seem thicker than any other gloves I've had before, will have to see how well they keep my usually cold hands warm. Also can't really tell where the defects are...the leather wraparound on the fingers isn't entirely even but the leather goes around all of them OK.

Only regret is that they also had the mittens on sale as well...may have gone for those instead.

BackLoafRiver

Only regret is that they also had the mittens on sale as well...may have gone for those instead.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of gloves and mittens. At the price, I figured it made sense. Worst case scenario is they become work gloves or general use.

HD333

I used my Free the Powder gloves this weekend for the first time, very warm.
I got Sno Seal all over the black parts and it looks like s bunch of snot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk