• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hello

K-TownDreamer

I didn't see a place to introduce myself... so if there is and I was a goof and missed it I apologize.
Hi, my names Sarah! I'm 22 and currently live right near Worcester MA (aka my mountain is currently Wachusett). I was first taught to snowboard by a friend a few years ago...well I quickly (like 3 times on the mountain) learned all she had to offer, so to date I've yet to learn terrain but am working on meeting new people willing to teach me, and get to one of the big mountains (Killington) quite soon... in fact I almost went up this Wednesday. I suppose its fair to explain why i'm impartial to Killington, I went up last month for a race (ever heard of Spartan Race- yeah I do those), well I stayed up there initially 5 days... well I felt immediately at home and 5 days turned into 8 and I was looking for jobs and housing right on the resort. Well jobs were easy to find... housing not so much, I don't have the money to get myself up there yet. Next year hopefully. But for now I go on casual 3 hour trips up there sometimes just to drive 3 hours back down at the end of the day.
Anyways before I ramble too much, that's basically me and nice to meet you all.

jimk

Welcome. Killington's a big mtn with great snowmaking and a wide range of terrain. It gets a lot of visitors and can be crowded at peak times, but has a long season and might be a good place to work and live because of all the activity. The access road has a lot of bars, restaurants and other businesses. Craigslist for VT might help with housing search in Rutland area? If you worked at or near the ski area the resort might help with finding housing too.

VTKilarney

Just be careful if you decide to live in Rutland. There is a serious heroin problem there. One of the worst in the state. A lot of associated crime as well.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Did you miss the part where she said she is from Worcester? Rutland is a gated community in comparison. ;)

Heroin is an issue basically everywhere these days. Even tony Portsmouth near me sees an OD death every few weeks.

Bostonian

Did you miss the part where she said she is from Worcester? Rutland is a gated community in comparison. ;)

Heroin is an issue basically everywhere these days. Even tony Portsmouth near me sees an OD death every few weeks.

Wait so you can hook me up? just kidding of course, it's terrible even in an affluent community as Acton, there have been known OD's here. Messed up.

Back to the Skiing, just look in craigslist, or the local paper...

Bene288

Check out Pico sometime. It's a refreshing alternative to the Killington hustle and bustle.

jaybird

Wait What ... Acton has an effluence issue?
WahWah is Happy Place South :uzi:

Rentals North of K are reasonable.
Mousetraps required :grin:

wtcobb

White River Junction/Lebanon NH offer a lot of work opportunity. Not exactly in Killington, but it's a short trip down Rt. 4.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Having worked in Rutland for a few years I can tell you that it is not a great place to live. That said, there are a lot of nice folks there and the neighboring towns are nice.

VTKilarney

I am sure that there are people that live in Rutland and do fine. I am also sure that Rutland is one of the worst places in Vermont to live. It just is what it is.

If someone has a choice, I'm a big fan of encouraging them not to make a poor choice.