• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PICO/Okemo 2/10/07-2/11/07

SKIQUATTRO

Pico

Drove up to the Inn at Long Trail Friday night, got there about 10, missed dinner but Owen behind the bar was serving up some great Guiness Beef Stew, so an order of that and a few pints of Harp and we were set, band playing Irish tunes, all good!

2/10/07 Pico
Laps: 21
Vert : 15,860
Sunny/Cloudy/Snowing

After a hearty breakfast at the Inn we were at Pico and on the lift at 8:20, empty. There were alot of racers around (College and Masters) but they kept to their own areas. Bluebird day until about 10:30, some clouds and flurries in the air....Pico was great, great conditions, lots of ungroomed, no one there all day, even though they didnt have the whole mtn open, we had a great day. They were blowing snow which surprised me, thought they were done for the year. My wife was mentioning that her boots were just not giving the feeback/support anymore (they are 6-7 yrs old) so by 2:30 our legs were shot we took a drive up the access road to Northern Ski Works to see Hal who fitted me last year, he's awesome. So after 2 hours of trying on boots, she walked out with a new pair of Dalbello Krypton's. Was nice to walk out to 2" of new snow on the truck and it was a comin' down!!! Then it was straight back to the Inn for a huge plate of their famous Nacho's and more pints of Half and Half/Harps. Dinner at 8, back to the bar for more live irish music...in bed by 10...
PS..we heard K was packed on Sat 30-45min wait on the K1..

2/11/07 Okemo
Laps 25
Vert 16,100
Sunny: Mid 20's

Had another great b'fast at the Inn, checked out and drove down to Okemo. Parked at Jackson Gore. I've driven up though there when i was looking at property (thank god i didnt buy up there) but our first time in the new lodge..very nice, rustic feel, open, lots of room. Spent half the morning in the Jackson area so my wife could get used to her new boots and these runs were acutally nice for warmup laps. Trails were again, groomed. around 1030 we started making our way across the mountain...all we could find was groomed runs, looking hard to find something untouched we came across Lower Tomahawk: ungroomed, but still lacking any challenge. It got the the point that all we could do is laugh, they groom EVERYTHING there, all the trails are the same...come on now. One nice thing is that it was pretty empty, longest lift was maybe 3 min...went in for lunch, came back out and the place was EMPTY, i guess lots do the Sunday Solution, so the afternoon was literally our own ski area...we did a few more laps and called it a day at 2:45. Conditions were icy/hardpack skiied off unless you skiied the far edges of the trails which i do and we were bored.

All in all a great ski weekend away (left the kids in CT with the grandparents!!!!!) We've made the decision that we really need to keep pressing further north to find the terrain we like...S'bush, Stowe, MRG, Smuggs...its just a haul from Long Island to those spots for a weekend, but ya got to do what ya got to do.

jaywbigred

no bumps set-up at Okemo? They usually seed some nice hereo bumps which are great for getting a rhythm going/staying in shape.

SKIQUATTRO

one trail had a few bumps, no uniform line, very spread out and the run had no snow on it...just a sheet of yellow hardpack with patches of blue ice...patrol should have closed that trail (yardsales everywhere) and opened Outrage which had some good coverage as seen by the lift, saw a group duck the rope....