• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo - RFID

gmcunni

Okemo goes high-tech

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2015/11/05/okemo-goes-electronic/

Beginning this ski season, all Okemo lift access products will be sold as RFID-enabled cards, though only Okemo Real.Easy Cards will be personalized and reloadable. In addition to convenience, online purchasers can save up to 25 percent off the published lift rates, with greater discounts corresponding to how far in advance lift access is purchased. Real.Easy Cards can be used in subsequent seasons.

Last edited:

dlague

Will no longer be needing the folks who barcode long term savings right there. However, those systems are not cheap.

dlague

I guess it is an improvement of sorts if it will improve their bottom line. There will fewer if any stolen lift rides.

HD333

Will no longer be needing the folks who barcode long term savings right there. However, those systems are not cheap.

I don't think I was scanned once in the few years we skied there.

Used the RFID at Jay and it was kind of a pain in the ass IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benski

i don't consider RFID an improvement

Definitely a downgrade for the locals. Where are those ticket scanners going to work if they want to stay in the community. I think the effect on local unemployment would be noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup. I've had issues with Jays every time I have skied there and it results in chairs going up empty

steamboat1

Definitely a downgrade for the locals. Where are those ticket scanners going to work if they want to stay in the community. I think the effect on local unemployment would be noticeable.

They'll definitely be a reduction in employees because of the RFID scanners but not a total elimination of those employees. The areas I've been to with RFID still have at least one person to read the scanner & help anyone having trouble getting through, sometimes more than one person. The RFID cards does show your picture on a screen so employess can determine whether it's the person who purchased the card using it. Otherwise people could be handing off cards to each other all day.

mbedle

Apparently, then tend to save the resorts money in not only on labor costs, but lift ticket fraud. I've never had any big problem with them, they seem to work pretty good. If it ultimately allows a resort to save money that can be spent elsewhere on the mountain, I'm all for them.

steamboat1

I think Mike Solimono of Killington addressed the question of cost installing an RFID system at Killington. Several million dollars if I remember correctly. Of course Killington does have a lot of entry points so more readers/gates would be neccessary They also have more places they sell lift tickets so they'd need more machines that make these cards.

Smellytele

Had issues with them every place I have been to that has them. Jay, Stowe and Squaw to name a few. As other said if they still need 2 people there tyo get people through and it is costing them money to buy the stuff just how are they saving money? The people who try skiing with out a ticket may just decide to not go to that ski area. No real savings because the lifts will run anyway. Also someone mentioned that a picture pops up when you go through. I don't remember having my picture taken at Jay or Squaw. Stowe yes.

yeggous

Had issues with them every place I have been to that has them. Jay, Stowe and Squaw to name a few. As other said if they still need 2 people there tyo get people through and it is costing them money to buy the stuff just how are they saving money? The people who try skiing with out a ticket may just decide to not go to that ski area. No real savings because the lifts will run anyway. Also someone mentioned that a picture pops up when you go through. I don't remember having my picture taken at Jay or Squaw. Stowe yes.

Pictures appear for Jay pass holders. They always did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

The problem with Jay is that the readers don't go low enough toward the ground. Lots of children have problems because of this.

The better alternative for me was a system that I used in Austria. Your card was RFID, but you held it up to a reader. People kept their cards on leashes that were spring loaded. Yes, you couldn't keep your card in your pocket, but NOBODY had issues getting onto the lift.

Bene288

I'm not a fan of them. I'm on the taller side and usually have to duck to get the gates to open up. A buddy of mine who is paralyzed and rides in a sit ski has it worse. He would need the card taped to his helmet to hit the sensor correctly. The gates are also considerably narrow for someone relying on outriggers to move through the line. We usually end up going through once then getting the okay to go through the ski school line. After all that though it doesn't seem like it has a huge affect on the uphill capacity.