• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paris Attacks

freeski

I did a deal with Saudi Telephone..
Was't that bad.. they liked me enough.

Met them at a conference in Vegas of all places. They didn't drink like the Saudis I met in Dubai.

After we talked in Vegas I had a web meeting/call with them - this like 7 years ago or so..

I encrypted the Arabic characters for Insha'Allah(god willing)..
They were amazed.. And asked if it was possible to un-encrypt - i said "Insha'Allah"... hahaha..
They laughed.. Was cool..

Thats my only business dealings with Arabs..
What does that have to do with over 100 people killed and 300 injured in the attack on Paris?

MadMadWorld

Let's focus on what's more important:

How did they acquire freaking grenades?

Why are Syrians let alone ones on a terrorist watch list allowed into the country?

How can the French police department learn from an attack like this? There was some serious failure on their part IMO. I thought that the global police community learned from what happened at West Gate in Nairobi. They should have implemented an active shooter rather than a hostage protocol. They may have saved a lot more lives in the concert hall.

I'm not so concerned about retribution. There will be plenty of time for retribution. I also think the coalition against ISIL will be massive and the response will be swift.

Warp Daddy

What does that have to do with over 100 people killed and 300 injured in the attack on Paris?
My dealings were with Algerians , Libyans , Syrians and Pakistanis over a 15 yr period at various intervals and Tin i said try negotiation BUT do not let it turn into a downward open ended spiral . sEt specific expectations with time dated elements that have consequences if mnot upheld ....THAT is what works ...not continual weakness and vacuuous , meaningless, never ending talk without consequence . Moreover with todays smart technology genocide can be avoided but leadership and followship targets can be pin pointed

Funky_Catskills

My dealings were with Algerians , Libyans , Syrians and Pakistanis over a 15 yr period at various intervals and Tin i said try negotiation BUT do not let it turn into a downward open ended spiral . sEt specific expectations with time dated elements that have consequences if mnot upheld ....THAT is what works ...not continual weakness and vacuuous , meaningless, never ending talk without consequence . Moreover with todays smart technology genocide can be avoided but leadership and followship targets can be pin pointed

Agreed... Thanks for the good discussion. Improtant to get insight into why things happen from someone expereinced it for themselves..

The term "Insha'Allah" can be used to put things off..
Falling back on "if god wills it"... Not getting stuff done..
No personal consequences..

Funky_Catskills

Why are Syrians let alone ones on a terrorist watch list allowed into the country?

How can the French police department learn from an attack like this? There was some serious failure on their part IMO. I thought that the global police community learned from what happened at West Gate in Nairobi. They should have implemented an active shooter rather than a hostage protocol. They may have saved a lot more lives in the concert hall.

I'm not so concerned about retribution. There will be plenty of time for retribution. I also think the coalition against ISIL will be massive and the response will be swift.

Paris is easy to get in to.. Makes it an easy target.
And has a history of racial unrest...

Hawkshot99

If these people were members of ISIS like they are reporting, then its not difficult at all. Isis is a fully equipped army wagering a full on war in Syria. All they need to do is ship some equipment were it is needed.
As for how the Syrians got into France? All they had to do was claim to be a refuge. There are hundreda of thousands of refuges flooding into all the western countries of the world. Many of them have no papers on who they are.

MadMadWorld

If these people were members of ISIS like they are reporting, then its not difficult at all. Isis is a fully equipped army wagering a full on war in Syria. All they need to do is ship some equipment were it is needed.
As for how the Syrians got into France? All they had to do was claim to be a refuge. There are hundreda of thousands of refuges flooding into all the western countries of the world. Many of them have no papers on who they are.

Why carry a passport then?

Tin

These people did not have passports. They claimed to be refuges.

Not true. A gunman at the concert hall was French and known to police. Another has been identified as Egyptian. Read something before posting. There could have been/probably are some who claimed to be refuges involved. However, to label this as an attack done by people pretending to be refuges who snuck in does nothing but push the immigration agenda. The same thing that happens after a mass shooting in the U.S. Lives are used to push agendas due to the emotion created.

Last edited:

freeski

Tin's right it's not just the refugees.
Hollande has said this was an act of war, so we'll see if SB1 is right or if France fights. France does not have any heavy bombers, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt. Hollande is low energy. I wish them luck.
In a way I am more sympathetic to Paris than, oh say, L.A. France helped us defeat Britain and gave us the Statue of Liberty. I fear the U.S. will not provide the help we should.

Hawkshot99

Not true. A gunman at the concert hall was French and known to police. Another has been identified as Egyptian. Read something before posting. There could have been/probably are some who claimed to be refuges involved. However, to label this as an attack done by people pretending to be refuges who snuck in does nothing but push the immigration agenda. The same thing that happens after a mass shooting in the U.S. Lives are used to push agendas due to the emotion created.

ISIS is not a nationality. It is a group of like minded religious extremists. While many of them are from Iraq, and Syria there fighters come from all over the world(even the USA...) Therefore if they do posses a passport, its not going to list ISIS as its origination so the immigration officer can easily reject them. these people came from all over the world to fight in the middle east. Not very hard to send these people off in the shipments of refuges to destinations in the western world.
I read a passport was found on at least 1 of the attackers. Just because they possessed a passport, does not mean that they used it while transporting with the rest of the refuges. Or they could be a unknown name to authorities(we do not know the name and information on every person fighting for these groups)

drjeff

Unfortunately my experience in dealing with middle eastern clients with similar rlifious persuasions leads me to believe that they employ NON- Aristotelian logic which utterly confuses almost all Western educated people .

Aristotle's logic usually expresses things in either or type of propositions whereas this is often NOT the case with religious zealotry in that part of the world . This renders cooperative negotiations both cumbersome and onerous and entirely futile inmy limited experience .

I learned this the hard way when contracting for managerial education for several wealthy and well educated grad students from that rgion that were already employed by firms in their homeland and were here for a special 6 week program .

there as no negotiating that was seen as a weakness , once i sensed this i shifted to a command and control type of authority that had specific consequences and expectations for behavior and performance or obstinancy .....THAT worked and the malcontents were shipped out of the country the next day and the rest of the group became exemplary . Not saying this applies in all cases but i have seen this more than once. My behavior with the group shifted from benevalent educator to MANAGER of expectations and that got their attention when we shipped the problem ourt of the country and notified their embassy and their employer of their nn compliance .

Sometimes you gotta flush the damn toilet !!!

Warp, thank you for your professional impression of what basic cultural differences are at play here!

Far better analysis than any pundit talking away on most media outlets today

yeggous

Tin's right it's not just the refugees.
Hollande has said this was an act of war, so we'll see if SB1 is right or if France fights. France does not have any heavy bombers, but lets give them the benefit of the doubt. Hollande is low energy. I wish them luck.
In a way I am more sympathetic to Paris than, oh say, L.A. France helped us defeat Britain and gave us the Statue of Liberty. I fear the U.S. will not provide the help we should.

I imagine we're going to be directly involved in this. All the French need to do is invoke the NATO charter. This is what we did after 9/11.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We've taken the heaviest toll for 15 years now. I'm not saying we shouldn't be involved as the national security risk is very real. What's Paris today could be Louisville tomorrow.

That said, I'd like to see a coalition of 500k EU troops on the ground across Iraq, Syria and beyond. Swift assassination of anyone remotely associated with ISIS. Severe economic sanctions against Saudi Arabia, Yemen, any nation in the area that does not fully focus on eliminating Islamic extremists in their countries.

This crap has got to stop