• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Expansions

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm thinking more Jay Peak style investment. Indoor water park or serious aquatics center, indoor skating rink etc. Wedding business is an easy sell in the mountains. It's largely dependent on hiring the right experienced wedding planner and having proper resort exposure at big wedding trade events.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You don't think Jay is superdepressed economically?

They were big money EB5 investments. Apparently they see more total yearly visitors to the water park than skiers

I don't think comparing Hebrons facility and how it's marketed is apples to apples with Jays which is run as a business and taxed. My understanding is the Jay rink sees a ton of use. Lots of tournaments, which also fill hotel rooms.

VTKilarney

I'm thinking more Jay Peak style investment. Indoor water park or serious aquatics center, indoor skating rink etc. Wedding business is an easy sell in the mountains. It's largely dependent on hiring the right experienced wedding planner and having proper resort exposure at big wedding trade events.

The tough thing for Sunday River is that North Conway is such a draw for summer tourist traffic. While they aren't far away, they are far enough away that they don't get any meaningful overflow. They'd have to figure out something that North Conway doesn't already have. I've always thought that it would be a good place for a Kingdom Trails style mountain biking facility.

VTKilarney

Actually, I know little of the Jay Peak area. I know littleof any similar facilities near Jay peak. I am surprised that Jay does morebusiness outside of winter. That is certainly good news. It does make onewonder, if that is such a good formula for success, why not give it a go atSunday River?

I’d really like to hear the number crunchers perspective on this.

Jay doesn't do more business outside of the winter season. Trust me. A lot of the summer visitors to the water park are on super cheap off-season passes. I'm not at all convinced that the waterpark turns a profit in the summer, but I don't really know.

Smellytele

The tough thing for Sunday River is that North Conway is such a draw for summer tourist traffic. While they aren't far away, they are far enough away that they don't get any meaningful overflow. They'd have to figure out something that North Conway doesn't already have. I've always thought that it would be a good place for a Kingdom Trails style mountain biking facility.

Well Jay is close to Canada to get the Hockey tournies. Like Lake Placid you can meet "half way" at these places.
As far as North Conway they already have the water park so putting another one an hour away is risky.

wtcobb

Jay doesn't do more business outside of the winter season. Trust me. A lot of the summer visitors to the water park are on super cheap off-season passes. I'm not at all convinced that the waterpark turns a profit in the summer, but I don't really know.

I wouldn't expect the waterpark to float Jay's business in the offseason, but how about their corporate packages (golf, conferences, etc.)? I thought I read that luring business retreats would be a goal of their new facilities. I have no numbers or anything, more of an inquiry as to this side of the business vs. the summer family tourist draw.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually, I know little of the Jay Peak area. I know littleof any similar facilities near Jay peak. I am surprised that Jay does morebusiness outside of winter. That is certainly good news. It does make onewonder, if that is such a good formula for success, why not give it a go atSunday River?

I’d really like to hear the number crunchers perspective on this.

Didn't mean to imply that they do more business in the summer, hence my wording of Total Visitors. Sorry for the confusion. So, those numbers would include all 4 seasons. It probably falls well short of skiing in terms of revenue, but my point was diversification of the business. That's what I see Sunday River needing to do to grow. They've got more than enough ski terrain.

Smellytele

Let’s not forget Sunday River did have some water slides,which failed, they sold them to a stand alone summer Water park for a dollarand they also failed.
outdoor waterpark vs indoor waterpark at a hotel 2 different animals and as i said with one already in North Conway where there are a lot of other things to do in the summer it would fail at SR.

VTKilarney

I wouldn't expect the waterpark to float Jay's business in the offseason, but how about their corporate packages (golf, conferences, etc.)? I thought I read that luring business retreats would be a goal of their new facilities. I have no numbers or anything, more of an inquiry as to this side of the business vs. the summer family tourist draw.

It's a tough location for business conferences. They do what they can do, but I'm not sure how much that really is. The golf course gets very little buzz, at least from locals, and the reality is that they built a golf course just as the sport began a death spiral. I am aware of the membership levels of some other area golf courses, and let's just say that it's not a pretty picture.

The biggest problem for Jay is their location. It's just not a nice place to be in the summer. There is a reason Stenger lives on Lake Memphremagog and not up at Jay. There really isn't anything they can do to overcome this.

machski

Let’s not forget Sunday River did have some water slides,which failed, they sold them to a stand alone summer Water park for a dollarand they also failed.

You cannot compare those pathetic waterslides Sunday River had to what Jay built. The Jay Waterpark is year round and big enough with slide, surf ride, lazy river and food and beverage to be an attraction in and of itself. At the least, it provides a diversion when weather caps out that the resort owns.