• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Open 2015-2016

JDMRoma

FREE skiing tomorrow at Bretton woods
Just bring a donation for the food bank

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

steamboat1

Based on the mild weather forecast for the rest of this week, Stowe Mountain Resort will not be open for skiing & riding this weekend. Our new scheduled opening date for the 2015-2016 winter season is Wednesday, November 25th (weather permitting).

Our world-class snowmaking team continues to make snow at every opportunity possible, and last night they had the snow guns running from top-to-bottom on the following trails: Upper Lord, Lord, Ridgeview, Lower Ridgeview, North Slope, Lower North Slope, and around the base area of the FourRunner Quad. On those trails there is a good man-made base in the higher elevations, but Mother Nature has prevented us from making as much snow as we would like in the lower elevations & base area.

The weather forecast calls for a temperature inversion tonight, so temperatures will be colder in the valleys than they will be up on the mountain. However, we are hopeful that our snowmakers will have one more productive night before mild weather arrives. Our next big snowmaking opportunity will be this weekend, when forecasts are calling for a potential multi-day stretch of favorable temperatures into early next week.

This report will be updated on Friday with the latest snowmaking outlook and weather information.

machski

Sunday River continues to push west with snowmaking. They posted this picture to FB this afternoon, I believe this is Cyclone.

Attachments

• 1447781793246.jpg
    1447781793246.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 139

SIKSKIER

It's time to test your ski legs! Bretton Woods will be OPEN on Wednesday, 11/18, from 9am - 4pm with top to bottom skiing and riding on our 1 mile Range View Trail with access provided by the Zephyr High Speed Quad. Lift tickets are FREE for this day only with the donation of a non-perishable food item! Conditions are man-made, machine-groomed, variable snow for intermediate and advanced skiers only (no beginner terrain). Rental shop (8am - 4pm) andTreeTop retail store (9:00am - 4:00pm) will also be open on 11/18. The Slopeside Climbing Wall will be open from 12 - 4pm on 11/18 as well with FREE climbing with the donation of an additional, non-perishable food item. Please note that the mountain will be closed on Thursday (11/19) and Friday (11/20) with a projected reopening date of Saturday (11/21), weather and snow conditions permitting

Smellytele

12 yo son bugging about going to BW tomorrow and all 3 want to go to K on Sunday. Wife isn't ready yet. I did just get my new tele boots today. It would be a good test day.

Jully

Seems odd they were blowing two weeks (?) ago.

Sadly probably lost most of it. It's been pretty warm and they haven't turned the guns on yet. They're now definitely being extra cautious because of the losses they sustained .

HD333

WV not opening this wknd...from their site:
[h=3]Today's Notes[/h]12:32pm, Monday 16th November 2015
Updates filed after 3:00 PM reflect the next day's conditions.
We're waiting for the temperatures to drop and should be making snow soon. IUnfortunately, that won't be in time for our projected November 21st Opening Day. We'll keep you posted as it keeps cooling down. THINK SNOW!

Well now I feel better about not being able to go up this weekend due to soccer. Fingers crossed for the weekend after Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjeff

Sadly probably lost most of it. It's been pretty warm and they haven't turned the guns on yet. They're now definitely being extra cautious because of the losses they sustained .

Don't really think that is completely the case. The snow Wildcat made a few weeks ago, was more of a test of their equipment and some new equipment (some of the guys from HKD snowmaking were there on the mountain with Wildcat's snowmakers as they were demo'ing some of HKD's new ground guns in addition to running some of the HKD tower guns and their Snowlogic tower guns) - if the weather cooperated and those piles hung around until they were really ready (and mother nature as well) to push for an opening, then great, otherwise Peak Resorts main snowmakiong project manager, who has been based at Wildcat for the last few season when he isn't going around to some of the other Peak properties, got some real data about Wildcat's system, which due to past mechanical issues is something that has been a challenge to come by.

If you take a look at all of the Peak properties across New Enlgand, none of them have made snow this week, and that's because they don't like what they see coming weather wise on Thursday and Friday and don't want to see some limited product wash right back down into the snowmaking pond and feel that with what would be left come Saturday when some longer duration cold air arrives isn't significant enough to effect some likely openings for Thanksgiving weekend.

What I have learned from talking with many people who call the shots about when to make snow and when not to in the Peak organization is they have become very "smart" about maximizing their efficiency in both production costs and production volume the last few years based on real data from their own systems and micro climates. Starting this weekend, I bet that you'll be seeing Peak flex its snowmaking power as they begin their push for not just opening, but also getting solid trail count number for the ever important Christmas week

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not worried about Wildcat not making snow currently. Last year was a real treat. Maybe next year it will work out that way again.

Little to no money to be made there in a November like this.

As long as they manage things properly to push to May 1st, that's what matters most to me.

skiberg

Here is the latest I have gotten from what I consider to be a very reliable subscription only source.

Day 6-10 Discussion:

The colder anomalies may be looking stronger than they have been, but are stillnot exclusive. Another dip in the jet stream next week out west will cause themiddle of the country to warm early and after a few below normal days east willshift in just in time for the holiday. Right now holiday travel does not appearto be looking too disrupted nationally. The warm ups do not look as strong.Upstream in Canada it is looking colder than it has all season with some latemonth potential to drop south.