• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's Open 2015-2016

steamboat1

$74!!! - that's just plain stupid.....

They have top to bottom skiing off 3 peaks. I'd say it's a fair price. Might also be trying to deter people from coming as TB mentioned. Usually they'd have Ramshead online before Skye Peak. Without Ramshead being connected to the rest of the mountain leaves only K-1 for parking.

Bostonian

They have top to bottom skiing off 3 peaks. I'd say it's a fair price. Might also be trying to deter people from coming as TB mentioned. Usually they'd have Ramshead online before Skye Peak. Without Ramshead being connected to the rest of the mountain leaves only K-1 for parking.

only $37 with a 2fer and a friend or a new friend found in the parking lot :) That's where I will be...

JDMRoma

Looks like BW for me, will be there for opening !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

They have less than 15% of their terrain open but are charging 78% of their regular mid-season mid-week price...so not sure I agree with the fair part. Maybe it is intentional to keep it mainly to season passholders due to the limited amount of terrain, but otherwise I think the price is too high for what you are getting. I'm not knocking just K for this either as a ton of areas charge what I consider to be pretty crazy prices early season.

drjeff

They have less than 15% of their terrain open but are charging 78% of their regular mid-season mid-week price...so not sure I agree with the fair part. Maybe it is intentional to keep it mainly to season passholders due to the limited amount of terrain, but otherwise I think the price is too high for what you are getting. I'm not knocking just K for this either as a ton of areas charge what I consider to be pretty crazy prices early season.

Let's be honest, K had to make basically 99% of the snow that's on the mountain right now (I'm guessing there's still a smidge of natural incorporated into the frozen base snow up in the North Ridge area) and all those hours of snowmaking aren't cheap. Sure they'll make it back over the course of the season, I don't doubt that, but they are a business and offer a product that is in demand right now, and they've spent a bunch of $$ to convert those tens of millions of gallons of water into the snow on the hill now, so they're not just going to give away their product, especially on a weekend with a likely high demand

cdskier

I agree they have spent a ton of money to make snow, but that is part of the business. Still doesn't mean I think they should be screwing customers just because they can get away with it. Do people actually pay those walk-up rates? As much as I love skiing, I only ski early season as a passholder or with some other sort of deal (i.e. Belleayre used to offer free skiing in your birthday which I took advantage of several years during early season when I otherwise wouldn't have skied). Otherwise I just can't justify paying those rates for what you get and simply seeing areas charging that turns me off from wanting to go there.

Jully

I agree they have spent a ton of money to make snow, but that is part of the business. Still doesn't mean I think they should be screwing customers just because they can get away with it. Do people actually pay those walk-up rates? As much as I love skiing, I only ski early season as a passholder or with some other sort of deal (i.e. Belleayre used to offer free skiing in your birthday which I took advantage of several years during early season when I otherwise wouldn't have skied). Otherwise I just can't justify paying those rates for what you get and simply seeing areas charging that turns me off from wanting to go there.

I tend to agree with you. The price of making snow is already reflected in the $100 dollar walk up rates we're seeing now and in the high season pass prices.

Having to make 97% or more of the snow on the hill by Thanksgiving isn't anything these places aren't used to.

dlague

You could always pay $84 at Stowe (early season walk up rate).

If you belong to a ski club K is $40 this weekend.

There are plenty of two for one deals for early season. We plan on using them. We are an odd number so if someone wants in on a 2 fer let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

A few that I've seen updated in the past day or so
Attitash--pushed back to Next Sat 12/12
Crotched---ditto
Pats Peak--still shooting for this Saturday opening per their latest snow report
Gunstock---Friday 12/4
Ragged---Sat 12/5

drjeff

A few that I've seen updated in the past day or so
Attitash--pushed back to Next Sat 12/12
Crotched---ditto
Pats Peak--still shooting for this Saturday opening per their latest snow report
Gunstock---Friday 12/4
Ragged---Sat 12/5

The reality is looking at the forecast that is an area doesn't have 95%+ of the snow down now that they need to open, they're not opening this weekend. Just not enough realistic windows of decent snowmaking opportunities the rest of the week over the vast majority of the Northeast ski region. Some short windows for some final touch up work, yup, but enough to put down say 50% of the snow needed to open a trail, doubtful the rest of the week :(