• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Boots

dlague

What a great wife! She just bought me these for Christmas! Bonus was getting to ski them the same day I got them at BW.

New Ski Boots.jpg

wa-loaf

Just got some, ready to go for the season!

attachment.php

So far so good. First boots in a long time that I've had no significant work done, just a minor shim under the sole for canting. Much warmer than my old boots. Biggest complaint would be the buckles, they don't stay in position when I pop them loose for the lift ride. Old boots I'd do that and when I got off the lift could just click them back down and go, need to spend a little more time fiddling with them to put them in the right position. As I break them in a little more I hope I won't need to unbuckle as often.

drjeff

Put these on for the first time the other day. Always catches me off-guard just how tight new boots fit!

10150400051-2.jpg

Nice boots, and my first reaction always after slipping into a new pair is more along the lines of "wow, my old boots really had packed out a bunch!!" ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup

Often don't realize how bad the old ones are until I try on new ones. Good thing I don't "window shop" boots as often as some other gear. I'd be laying the plastic down much more often.

BenedictGomez

Often don't realize how bad the old ones are until I try on new ones.

Recent dramatic example of this.

At the end of last season the gf wound up having to see a doctor due to lower R leg pain, and needing to wear a foot brace for 2 months. She's fine now, but it turns out it was her ski boots, which were a beginner (i.e. comfort) Salomon model on their 5th season, probably skied in them roughly 70 days.

So this season I size her for some new boots and I discovered her old boots were 1/2 size too big to begin with, a common beginner skier problem. So not only were they packed out, but they were a bit too large to start with. Since she's now an intermediate, I made sure to get her stiffer boots, and obviously the proper size.

Here's where it gets crazy.

She never intentionally skies moguls and avoids them like the plague, but there was so much snow the other day she had no choice. Normally she looks skittish and scared in them, and awkward. Yet not only did she ski down legit mogul fields, she did so pretty well (for an intermediate). I have never in my life personally witnessed a proper fitting pair of boots so dramatically......instantly....make someone a better skier. Since she never had a proper fitting pair of boots, she didn't realize how much control she was losing, and not able to impart to her skies. I strongly suspect this will also improve her skiing and make her less skittish on steeper terrain as well.

dlague

Recent dramatic example of this.

At the end of last season the gf wound up having to see a doctor due to lower R leg pain, and needing to wear a foot brace for 2 months. She's fine now, but it turns out it was her ski boots, which were a beginner (i.e. comfort) Salomon model on their 5th season, probably skied in them roughly 70 days.

So this season I size her for some new boots and I discovered her old boots were 1/2 size too big to begin with, a common beginner skier problem. So not only were they packed out, but they were a bit too large to start with. Since she's now an intermediate, I made sure to get her stiffer boots, and obviously the proper size.

Here's where it gets crazy.

She never intentionally skies moguls and avoids them like the plague, but there was so much snow the other day she had no choice. Normally she looks skittish and scared in them, and awkward. Yet not only did she ski down legit mogul fields, she did so pretty well (for an intermediate). I have never in my life personally witnessed a proper fitting pair of boots so dramatically......instantly....make someone a better skier. Since she never had a proper fitting pair of boots, she didn't realize how much control she was losing, and not able to impart to her skies. I strongly suspect this will also improve her skiing and make her less skittish on steeper terrain as well.

We buy our boots a size larger than toe touching. My feet stay warmer IMO. As far as better boots, I moved my wife into 110 flex and her skiing improved dramatically. I also have the forward lean cranked up which worked out well. In addition, I put a heel lift in. All worked real food as planned. I can take almost anywhere on the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone