• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wind farms

Scruffy

Increasingly, the post office is being contracted to be the "last mile" for UPS and Fedx, since they have RFD going anyway. This should help their bottom line, hopefully.

Funny snippet I heard somewhere, can't remember where - Post office is the best bargain going; where else can you walk up to someone, and give them 47 cents and say "Hey buddy, will you take this letter to Alaska for me?"

Edd

Funny snippet I heard somewhere, can't remember where - Post office is the best bargain going; where else can you walk up to someone, and give them 47 cents and say "Hey buddy, will you take this letter to Alaska for me?"

Yeah, by that measure, the post office is magical. They should triple their rates.

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

Their some of these on next to Jiminy Peak. I believe it covers their electronic bills for all winter operations.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/02/27/ski.wind.turbine/index.html?eref=rss_tech

The only turbine at Jiminey that has anything to do with the mtn is the 1 on propert off of West Way. The 10 across the valley ship all of theit power off to thr boston area. They took some guidence from Jiminy, on installation as they are the aame model, but otherwise unrelated.
Jiminy did install a solar field this summer to greatly increase their power making potential. They also have a steam recovery system in the hotel that spins some power generators making some power as well.

Hawkshot99

Interesting article on Jiminy. They produce $450,000.00 worth of electricity, a third of their total need. It would be interesting to see what the one turbine cost. I know 10 all together cost 37 million in my back yard, but they could all share access road and shipping costs, etc. Let's say it cost 4 million. That's less than 9 years to pay back. Not so bad....

$3.5 mill 9 or 10 yrs ago. I do not know the up keep costs per yr though.

darent

Failures while uncommon can be crazy!
we have a wind generator at the high school, the bearings went and the repair was very costly. It has been running for just 2 years.two towns in the Cape Cod area are being forced to remove their wind turbines because of noise and light flutter complaints.

Funky_Catskills

Political Correctness has absolutely nothing to do with it.. So easy there Mr Trump... :)

Being self sufficient is what I'm all about..

Funky_Catskills

The Political Correct thing... Trump is leading the charge..

I'm not doing this to make anyone think I'm a certain way - I just want energy independence...

Funky_Catskills

Been noticing more solar installations up here in Hunter.
I think the old style houses built to face north and south with straight roofs are the big candidates.. Or maybe I'm just not noticing the others..

wtcobb

South/SSE facing is the proper direction for solar panels to maximize exposure, especially in the northern latitudes where declination plays a bigger role. For my location in northern NH I have ~15* declination.

Last year I lived in home that was built and designed for solar - they matched the perfect angle when building to maximize solar exposure, especially in winter. The house also had passive solar design being high on a hill with large windows and stone interior. Pretty cool place.

deadheadskier

Staff member
game changer

https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/t...runch)&utm_content=FaceBook&sr_share=facebook

Attractive and

[FONT=&quot]" Tesla’s roof cost less than the full cost of a roof and electricity will be competitive or better than the cost of a traditional roof combined with the cost of electricity from the grid, Musk said. "

Once off peak storage technology catches up, I think there's little doubt that solar technology is going to be cheaper than fossil for electricity generation. [/FONT]

Puck it

There are also other companies working on paints that can produce energy from solar. These are not as far along as the roof products.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Uphillklimber - prediction: by 2025 or even much sooner, there will be a battery the size of a car battery or smaller capable of powering a 4 bedroom home for a full day.

Tesla is already almost there today: https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

With how fast technology is moving and microsizing the concept of a basement with large areas of caustic chemicals or a wall of batteries lining the back of your house will be archaic very soon.

As far as the utility companies are concerned, if I were CEO of one these companies, I'd be having internal discussions on how to adapt my business to one of mostly power delivery to one that services off grid equipment as a major portion of the business. It would not surprise me at all if most of the grid as we know it disappears in my lifetime.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am aware that it doesn't beat the power company on price today, but it will in the not too distant future.

I fully expect to see 3D printed homes with solar becoming a regular new construction practice. 20 years maybe? Hard to tell with how fast technology is moving. Those solar shingles that Tesla are producing? They won't be made in factories. The raw materials needed will be brought right to the construction site and 3D printed right onto the home. That goes for most other parts of the house too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not making an argument on current tech. I assume you are also quoting time frames based upon your unique situation and power rates for your local area.

darent

watching a house here, entire roof was shingled in solar shingles. be interesting to get data in a year.

dlague

Yes. my particular situation, but they are applicable to all in my area. Maine CMP prices.

No arguments, just trying to show how the tech has progressed. I was truly hopeful I could do it this year. I'm gonna hold out that the tech gets better.

I worked for a utility back east and was part of a Community Solar Project where we planned on building a 5-6 acre solar farm. The rate payers would then be able to purchase the output of a panel and could purchase up to ten of them. We then conducted a survey of interests and while we had pretty good fed back with abut 10% doing for the greener good the others did not like the payback period which was 15-17 years. In the end we opted not to implement it due to risks associated with not selling all the panels. It is still too expensive for most. Others do not mind since it is green energy.