• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good ski towns with more tourists in summer than winter

jimk

Another thread about Taos made me curious about certain bargain ski towns around the Northeast and the rest of North America. I'm talking about places that are near excellent skiing, yet offer a good number of cheap motel rooms during winter season because they are even more popular as summer tourist destinations and have excess lodging capacity during the winter "off" season.
Some that I have been to and know fit this description:
Taos is definitely one. Many motels under $50 per night.
Jackson Hole is another (town of Jackson). Not quite as cheap as Taos, but probably a fair number of rooms under $75.
South Lake Tahoe. Lots of cheap 1960's style motels in the $50-75 range.
You could say the suburbs of Salt Lake City like Sandy and Cottonwood Heights qualify for this category, and perhaps Ogden for Snowbasin.

You guys know the Northeast better than me, but I've been to the following and they seem to fit:
Much of NH, for example:
North Conway, NH
Lincoln, NH
All around Winnepesuakee, like Meredith for example to ski Gunstock and Loon.
Would Quebec City fit? Did a great ski trip there once, city prices, but sure rooms were cheaper than summer.
Hard to find deals in VT, maybe around Brattleboro if you were willing to do long drive over to Mt. Snow??

Have not been to, but might be candidates:
Durango, CO
Newport, VT
Sherbrooke, QC

Might as well throw some photos up:
Near Lincoln:
DSCF1855.jpg

Quebec City:
1226897326_pic1.jpg

South Lake Tahoe:
1111985181_heavenly1.jpg

Foothills of Salt Lake City:
LL

Friendly neighbors in Jackson, WY:
900x900px-LL-4b285f2a_CopyofDSCN8211.jpeg

Last edited:

crank

Whitefish, Montana is about equal I think... Maybe a bit busier in the summer. It is about a half hour's drive from Glacier National Park so gets a steady stream of summer tourists. We visited there in a slow period - A week after Labor day in order to avoid the summer vacationing family crowd.

VTKilarney

Red Lodge, Montana. It's on the doorstep to Yellowstone, so it's MUCH busier in the summer - but it's got one of the most underrated ski areas in the country.

VTKilarney

Magog (Mt. Orford) is kind of like Stowe. Definitely busier in the summer, but you can't call it cheap in the winter.

Laconia, NH for Gunstock.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Much of Laconia doesn't even bother opening during the winter. Pretty much all of Weirs Beach shuts down for the winter.

Scruffy

Placid and Saranac Lake for Whiteface , Lake George For GORE . All great venues and busy in summer and now fall too

Saranac Lake definitely; Lake Placid, yeah it's busier in the summer, but it's still a winter sports mecca, and prices don't drop much, if any. But, Saranac Lake is a value anytime, and being only about 10 miles from Placid, it's a no brainer.

VTKilarney

How many places in Lake George actually stay open in the winter? I bet at least the major chain hotels do. If I lived closer, a weekend with Gore and West Mountain would seem pretty attractive if lodging was cheap.

dlague

Much of Laconia doesn't even bother opening during the winter. Pretty much all of Weirs Beach shuts down for the winter.

Laconia is not really a ski town IMO. It is really a lake community! Gunstock does not significantly drive traffic to Laconia. I live in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Magog (Mt. Orford) is kind of like Stowe. Definitely busier in the summer, but you can't call it cheap in the winter.

Laconia, NH for Gunstock.

Magog is also more of a Lake community and not so much of a ski town. With Sherbrooke near by Orford is driven by locals.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Magog is also more of a Lake community and not so much of a ski town. With Sherbrooke near by Orford is driven by locals.
But there are also quite a few Montrealers on the weekends which keeps lodging rates up.