• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I need a reason NOT to ski at Okemo

WoodCore

If you're able to load up a carving ski so that it slingshots you across the trail, then Okemo can be fun. I haven't been there since I started getting a season pass to Stowe, but laying down tracks into groomers was fun when everything ungroomed was frozen up crap.

Challenge is what you make of it... How many turns can you bang out down a trail? How few can you get away with? Can you lay 'em over so far that you can drag your inside hand in the snow?

Mikaela Shiffrin spent day after day after day doing laps on Storrs Hill because she always found something that she couldn't do. If she could find a challenge at Storrs Hill, I'm pretty sure you can find a challenge at Okemo.

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

It is called skiing and anywhere you are doing that is better than in Lexington. What are you stupid?

Cornhead

I hope she is not as flat as Okemo.
Too funny, sexist, but funny nonetheless, touché. The most excitement I've had in ski boots at Okemo was almost falling down the stairs. I stumbled at the top, began to fall forward, at the last millisecond a little voice in my head said, "Move your feet you dumbass!". I danced down the rest of the stairs. I was proud of myself for not falling on my face.

Last edited:

HD333

White Lightning and Rolling Thunder on the Jackson Gore side are a couple of challenging/fun runs. Black Hole and Supernova are nice too
Ripping GS turns top to bottom on World Cup and launching off the rollers early morning will get the blood flowing.
Trees (Loose Spruce) off of Southface are always fun. Outrage is a great old school trail if you can't have fun on that then you can't have fun.
For a challenge follow the power lines that you see when riding Glades Peak quad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drjeff

If you're able to load up a carving ski so that it slingshots you across the trail, then Okemo can be fun. I haven't been there since I started getting a season pass to Stowe, but laying down tracks into groomers was fun when everything ungroomed was frozen up crap.

Challenge is what you make of it... How many turns can you bang out down a trail? How few can you get away with? Can you lay 'em over so far that you can drag your inside hand in the snow?

Mikaela Shiffrin spent day after day after day doing laps on Storrs Hill because she always found something that she couldn't do. If she could find a challenge at Storrs Hill, I'm pretty sure you can find a challenge at Okemo.

+1000

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

+1001!!

Wide, groomed terrain and a front side power carver ski when loaded up in a turn at speed can get fairly close to the sensation you get when skiing deep powder, and it can be quite addictive!!

crank

I end up skiing a day or so at Okemo almost every season. Used to go there a fair amount when my son was young and learning. Now I go with some friends and sometimes my ski club. Last time I went I rode my snowboard which, for me, is challenging.

A couple runs at the very top of Jackson Gore are a bit steepish but not for long and not that steep. There are some good bump runs to be found as well.

Good snowmaking and grooming and a consistent, if not steep pitch make it fun for people who like to carve groomed terrain. If that is not you then you may not have the best time there and will have to make do making it about hanging out with your friends.

Some fun can be had and tracks made skiing through property owner's yards off the Sachem trail.

I will say that I find that skiers who prefer moderately pithed groomers...even if they ski fast and look to have good form good on their chosen terrain, generally fall apart when faces with anything steep and ungroomed revealing a lack of skills and technique... Yes I know this is a sweeping generalization and is just my opinion, but it is one formed over years and years of skiing with a lot of different folks.

xwhaler

Okemo has some really nice high speed groomers all serviced by fast lifts.
The glades, while not MRG/Paradise or off map locals cuts at some of the Northern VT mtns can still be a ton of fun even for advanced/self proclaimed "experts".

Usually u can lap Jackson Gore w/o much of a line even on busy mid winter wknds.
They do a fantastic job with snowmaking and I would argue that World Cup serviced by a HSQ is one of the best early season setups in New England (sorry K fanboys)

It's not my favorite mtn but I can absolutely have a good time with family/friends there. Amazing how some mtns on this board elicit such strong negative opinions.
Just go ski and enjoy yourselves out there.

reefer

It is called skiing and anywhere you are doing that is better than in Lexington. What are you stupid?

X2

Obviously, there has been plenty of Okemo bashing here over the years and who cares what anyone thinks...................

rocks860

Went with a buddy last year who had an extra ticket and we mostly skied the woods as it was packed and super windy so everything was basically solid ice. The trees were pretty fun and we skied some with a local who knew the places to go but other than that it's super boring

Warp Daddy

Hmm fast groomers , railing turns at warp speed , great snow coverage , all with a friend or friends ....hell sounds like a perfect day to me !!

spiderpig

I end up skiing a day or so at Okemo almost every season. Used to go there a fair amount when my son was young and learning. Now I go with some friends and sometimes my ski club. Last time I went I rode my snowboard which, for me, is challenging.

A couple runs at the very top of Jackson Gore are a bit steepish but not for long and not that steep. There are some good bump runs to be found as well.

Good snowmaking and grooming and a consistent, if not steep pitch make it fun for people who like to carve groomed terrain. If that is not you then you may not have the best time there and will have to make do making it about hanging out with your friends.

Some fun can be had and tracks made skiing through property owner's yards off the Sachem trail.

I will say that I find that skiers who prefer moderately pithed groomers...even if they ski fast and look to have good form good on their chosen terrain, generally fall apart when faces with anything steep and ungroomed revealing a lack of skills and technique... Yes I know this is a sweeping generalization and is just my opinion, but it is one formed over years and years of skiing with a lot of different folks.
I'd say you're generally correct, but I learned at Okemo and broke the mold. [emoji4] Have to go into the woods and bumps by myself when I'm doing with people there, but that may be more because of their ages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

bigbog

what's not to like skiing with a damn fine ,smokin hot, fast skiing lady, shut up and ski.try and keep up then Apre'

+1
Ah Ha...I like KevinF's inside hand touching the snow and I would guess that ss20 meant...ski the tree lines BEFORE you two visit the pub for a few...(ROTFL)
Try some of those slalom-turn exercises on ~80% inside ski...or something, or did you buy those Gypseys? (lol)
Just have some fun.. You know the line...What Happens at Okemo Stays at Okemo!...or is that Vegas?:dontknow:

Last edited: