• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl's Head or Orford?

VTKilarney

I'm thinking about getting up to Quebec for a one day mid-week visit. Both of these ski areas are SUPER cheap during the middle of the week, especially with a favorable exchange rate.

I've skied Owl's Head before, and was very pleased. It is not a glamorous place, but it's got tons of old-school charm. I'd prefer to try Orford since it's new to me, but the trip reports I've read on this site all complain about how icy and scraped off it gets, even during the middle of the week. But these reports are all a few years old.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which one I should choose?

dlague

Well I have skied both. Orford has more trail options and it is a fun place to ski but it has lots of skiers/snowboarders. Skiing it midweek might be ok. Owls Head IMO skis bigger. That is in part due to the way the pods are set up at Orford. I also like the glades better at Owls Head.

Put it this way, I like both but I have skied Owls Head more.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BackLoafRiver

Damn. I had a nice response typed and lost it.

Short answer: give Orford a shot. Had a great time there. It wasn't stupid busy but it was hella cold.

Here are a few shots from last year during MLK weekend.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1448451183.057801.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1448451195.593098.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

I think I'll give Orford a shot. It's a slightly easier drive and I've never been there. The gondola will give some protection if the weather isn't great.

dlague

I think I'll give Orford a shot. It's a slightly easier drive and I've never been there. The gondola will give some protection if the weather isn't great.

Definitely an easier drive for sure! From Derby Line it is like 25 minutes and all highway.

Talisman

Both Owl's Head & Orford are fun places to ski. Orford has Magog nearby with great places to eat. I like the place that specializes in mussels and frites cook in fat.