• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 11/29/15

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 11/29/15
Resort or Ski Area: Killington
Conditions: loose granular manmade
Trip Report:

What a pleasant surprise, honest to goodness bump skiing on Skyelark, I wasn't expecting that. We left town at 3:30 to arrive before opening. We stopped to pick Scotty up at the usual spot, the McDonalds at Vischers Ferry. Naturally Scotty drove past and ended up at the one in Malta, no problem, just more driving for him. Took the gondola to the top, made a few runs on that side before stopping at the lodge to hook up with Dlague and get rid of our extra ticket. My buddy had texted me and informed me that Skyelark was skiing superbly, so that's where we headed next. He was right, nice soft bumps that grew as the day went on.

After lunch we decided we would lap Skyelark until 2, then head home. Well, I was toast after one run. I made one more run off the Snowdon chair, and waited till 2 for the guys to show up. Wouldn't you know Dlague, his wife and son, were sitting right across from me. We joked how this was the second, or is it third, time we've hooked up to split BOGO's at K. I told him I'll see him next time one of us has an odd total to our groups.

What a difference in weather between Friday at Jiminy, and yesterday at K. I didn't see anyone in shorts yesterday. The conditions held up pretty good throughout the day. Some slick spots appeared on the groomed trails, I was happy with the grip of the new RTM's on any slick spots I turned on. They skied the soft bumps on Skyelark well too.

We should've just got a room, my buddy headed back today, I went to work, then left. I don't think my legs could handle back to back days theses days. Not this early in the season. 900 miles in the car, and not much sleep didn't help either. Two in three days kicked my ass, ah to be 35, enjoy Phil.

Attachments

• 1448890954074.jpg
    1448890954074.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 1448890970124.jpg
    1448890970124.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 131

dlague

Thanks Cornhead for making that work! Really nice to meet Scotty too! It was a great day for sure. The trails were in pretty good shape considering the weather we have been having. My wife, son and I skied just about everything they had open minus a couple connector trails. Bumps could be found on most of SkyLark, Mouse Trap and East Fall (Upper). My wife last year complained about bumps but this day she handled them well. I do have to say, the conditions in the morning were much better but that is generally the case, right? We were able to ski everything in the morning before going in to eat. Then in the afternoon did a repeat. I thought the NorthRidge trails held up pretty well in the afternoon. However, skiing down on Great Northern got interesting between Mouse Run and Bunny Buster. Actually it was a mess between scraped off areas, pushed up snow, beginners and a boat load of people making it seem chaotic. To get away form people we skied down Mouse Trap and the nice bumps from earlier now were also scraped off and the light was really flat making that interesting too. From there we headed down Chute to Snowdon Quad (forgot how slow that chair is). and skied down Mouse Run and then a second run down Bunny Buster. Both of those were nice cruisers with no crowds. Our last run was on Skylark and compared to our run in the morning, there were more spots where snow got pushed around down to the grass. On Lower Skylark, not sure if my legs were beat but I could not find rhythm and there were spots where I got caught off guard. I definitely enjoyed the morning much better. Maybe there is something to be said about getting there early.

We stopped at 1:30. Went in and enjoyed the artist that was playing in the lodge with a few beverages. Also got to talk to Bob and Scotty for a bit which is cool. Killington was a stark contrast to the day before where like Cornhead we skied else where. In our case we were skiing spring conditions at Waterville on Saturday.

Definitely need to get the ski legs back. After skiing at Waterville and feeling nothing we thought - we got this! After skiing Killington and hitting bumps - not so much!

Snow making on SS
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1448893975.482832.jpg

Skylark Lower
IMG_0516.JPG

Skylark Lower
IMG_0520.JPG

what we looked like all day including our goggles
IMG_0523.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

steamboat1

Sounds good, glad everyone enjoyed. Planning on heading up Wed. morning for a few days. Hope the weather doesn't screw things up.
Nice picture of Supe. Seems like only yesterday that the snow was higher than the chairs.

ScottySkis

2 day of season direct day in Vermont for season good fun times as always wssssssssssssd had for sure. Thanks for picking me Cornhead and guy used to post here to be banddbandd himself I tell you on fourms glade Runner is an ass in person be nice person. Got some fun moguls kick my but on trail to left of superstar trail. Then some fun trails off triple I enjoyed one two to left a bunch to agareed with Dialogue beginning trails were scrapped off quickly as usual for early season sorry c Rex your ck
Rex that you couldn't make nglad I got to talk to dialogue and his wife while we were inlogde!logde