• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Huntah sold to Peak Resorts

drjeff

If you want to avoid tax, buy the pass online through one of the NH mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Yup, that's an option

As though is often the case in March and early April when I'm buying the following season's passes for my family, one of my kids has lost their pass and/or ran out of the $$ I put on their passes for lunch, etc so I'm already in the pass office at Mount Snow and being someone who tends to like instant gratification, even if it benefits the folks in Montpelier at bit more than just the $$$ that I already pay them annually in property taxes and various other VT taxes, I'm buying it on site and getting my new pass as soon as the printer does it's thing and my VISA card has been swiped! ;)

drjeff

If you want to avoid tax, buy the pass online through one of the NH mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Yup, I know.

Part of me is all for doing that. Another part of me, the part that is a part time resident of VT, and as a result uses more of the state and town wide services, than many other do, does feel some obligation in paying the taxes on a product that I can honestly say that I'm really unlikely to use in any other state than VT (heck, since Peak bought Mount Snow, I've used my Nor'easter's only 1 once, at Crotched, outside of VT, an probably 300-350 times in VT.

As much as I am all in favor of lower taxes, there is a part of me that does realize that SOME of that tax $$ does have a direct effect back in a small town local economy/gov't system, a small town that is very important to me and my family, so I do feel some sense of social/civic obligation to swipe my VISA in VT, rather than enter it's #'s online in on say Wildcat's website(Even though I'm friends with Wildcat's GM and he'd probably like to see 4 extra Nor'easter's sold though "his" mountain ;) )

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Certain family members care more than people think..
Orvilles memorial service a couple family members talked about keeping it in the family..

I worry about my friends who's lives are tied to the ski area..
And how it will affect my town.

Hunter and Tannersville are doing great - more and more businesses are opening and doing well.
The towns are getting cleaned up nicely..

not nearly as bad as people make it out to be..

DMC, Just going by a few people that used to work there and left because of the BS. I should not say they all are milking it, but the image is justified somewhat since they have not been spending enough on Maintenence (as per Peak). 600K compared to 1 million is a big difference.

It will and is a shock though, since I have skied there since 1972 and the Slutsky's are all I remember. You have to hope change is good!

goldsbar

Very interesting. And a 22% margin in such a tough industry is impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

This really surprised me. What surprised me even more is that SKIS overall portfolio is at 25%. Don't know if that's just ski operations or includes other items.

BenedictGomez

Wait, Funky_Catskills is DMC?

Another part of me, the part that is a part time resident of VT, and as a result uses more of the state and town wide services, than many other do, does feel some obligation in paying the taxes on a product that I can honestly say that I'm really unlikely to use in any other state than VT

125785006e16c35d26-300x300.jpg

Not to mention, sales taxes bear absolutely no correlation to the utility of a product sold. It's simply a mathematical revenue tool, which is why some states can have no sales tax.

Also, you might be the first Vermonter I've ever encountered who doesn't believe he/she is taxed enough versus other state's residents.

EDIT: I missed the "part-time" bit.

Funky_Catskills

DMC, Just going by a few people that used to work there and left because of the BS. I should not say they all are milking it, but the image is justified somewhat since they have not been spending enough on Maintenence (as per Peak). 600K compared to 1 million is a big difference.

It will and is a shock though, since I have skied there since 1972 and the Slutsky's are all I remember. You have to hope change is good!

they can be cheap as fukc...
I'm talking more about the younger Slutskys...
I also know a ton of people that have been working there for 20 years.. Some can handle it - some can't..

Going to miss the family run area...

JimG.

Staff member
Now it seems like no coincidence I went with the NYS 3 in 1. Will be interested to see how the place changes this year and to see how the other resorts there react. I have a strong feeling I will not like the big corporate Hunter that will be created. And I'm sure the food will now suck. And that the season will be shortened even more.

This may be what drives me from NYS to Killington. A better mountain, closer to other favorite VT areas and the commitment to a long season.

yeggous

Now it seems like no coincidence I went with the NYS 3 in 1. Will be interested to see how the place changes this year and to see how the other resorts there react. I have a strong feeling I will not like the big corporate Hunter that will be created. And I'm sure the food will now suck. And that the season will be shortened even more.

This may be what drives me from NYS to Killington. A better mountain, closer to other favorite VT areas and the commitment to a long season.

To give you some perspective from the SKIS take-over of AttiCat:
- prices markedly increased after a couple years (and have continued to do so outpacing inflation)
- the season shrank at Attitash and grew at Wildcat. this was due to a choice to focus on one area.
- food quality improved, but only in step with the price increases

catskillman

My hunch is if there's any plans for building real estate that it will be in a long term master plan type roll out, in stages, with outside funding such as Peak is finally going to start doing at Mount Snow now closing in on 10 yrs after the 1st bought it.

The big things for Peak in this is that not only do they increase their potential customer base, but also they see their annual revenues increase by 25-30% (Peak typically has been doing a bit over 100 million in annual revenue the last few years)

Real estate expansion was already in the works,..... Building of condo's planned for west side, I understand work has already started, and next season a base lodge on the west side.......

BenedictGomez

I have a strong feeling I will not like the big corporate Hunter that will be created. And I'm sure the food will now suck. And that the season will be shortened even more.

Actually, while not giving many specifics, food & beverage was one area that SKIS mentioned they thought Hunter could be improved.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Actually, while not giving many specifics, food & beverage was one area that SKIS mentioned they thought Hunter could be improve

Hunter food is good for ski area deffinly better then most of areas I been to.

I have to agree with Scotty. Have you tried Gore and Whiteface Food?! and the prices!

BenedictGomez

I have to agree with Scotty. Have you tried Gore and Whiteface Food?! and the prices!

I havent been to Hunter in years, so I cant comment on the food, but that's what SKIS said, whether that means adding a fancy restaurant or a nicer bar or the food itself, I dont know.

Whiteface's cafeteria food used to be decent about 3 years ago, but they changed the vendor I'm guessing as it dropped in quality while simultaneously increasing in price (a terrible combo). The Cloudspin Lounge food is okay though, and I never eat at the foofy downstairs bar.

Gore's cafeteria food is pretty sad; that area actually looks government run. But the Gore bar food is pretty good (the wait times and service however are brutal).

Smellytele

Gore's cafeteria food is pretty sad; that area actually looks government run. But the Gore bar food is pretty good (the wait times and service however are brutal).

I have sat in the bar with my family waiting for someone just to stop by the table for 15 minutes and got up and walked out. Was horrible. This was a Friday and not that busy.

SnowRock

Actually, while not giving many specifics, food & beverage was one area that SKIS mentioned they thought Hunter could be improved.

The food itself at Hunter is decent, the facilities are where I personally think Hunter could use quite a bit of work as someone that is up there about 5 times a season.

danimals

I wonder if this will do anything to put the expansion back on the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

I wonder if this will do anything to put the expansion back on the table.

It's definitely not impossible.

At the end of the day the blocking of "expansion" is ostensibly an environmental issue, and the politics of New York are such that the environmentalists are in bed with the politicians. But I imagine SKIS has the financial muscle to make "campaign contributions" to the correct people. Maybe get some EB-5 money in there to "create jobs" (LOL) and pay for the proper BS "environmental offsets" to lubricate that process should they choose to do so. One can dream. I'd definitely return to Hunter should that happen.

catskillman

Hunter was debt free, and that is why the capital $ were limited in many ways, not that the family was hording. In fact, they were not paid a lot and of the owners children only David really worked, and he worked very hard and lone....

He skis like a freight train coming through, will miss him... he has character and is a nice guy. The other sons are around.... and Orvilles sons are active in town. I would not know Orvilles daughter is she was sitting next to me wearing a name tag.