• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Valley - 11/28/15

dlague

Waterville Valley

Conditions: Spring like - not mushy though

Trip Report:

Originally we had planned to ski Sunday River but the comp we have is a Sunday - Friday, then we considered Killington but our 2 fer was blacked out, our next option was Okemo using Liftopia Gift Cards to discount but Okemo appears to stop sale s like two or three days ahead of the discounted day so that failed too. So we started digging around looking for options and low and behold, Waterville was opening the High Country area at the summit with four trails (wink wink really one). The price was $37 adult and $27 teen but we used $35 in gift certificates for a total of $66 for all three of us.

We woke up to r@!n (#$%^&*) which was a bummer but looking things up on radar it was lakes region and south - phew! We packed up out gear and headed out with excitement just because it was day 1. We got there to a ghost town and people that were there were primarily the Waterville Valley Academy ski team (BBTS). They uploaded and downloaded via White Peak Express. We arrived to the top to find fog or low cloud line. The area open was small and basic but functional. It kind of felt old school with the double chair and the small lodge up top that was open. The area probably was groomed once when the snow was first made but left alone after that. We actually had a lot of fun getting in 10 runs. My wife happen to notice that every one was skiing center to skiers left. She suggested skiing right and wow - we found the best snow. It was firm but edgeable and carving was a dream. With the exception of two or three runs, we ski that area. The temps were near 40 and the snow fairly soft. It was a great day to get our ski legs back. When we got home we thought that we would feel it in our legs but that was not the case so we thought that we were in the clear - not so much. We skied Killington the next day and that was more fun work.

All in all - it was a perfect start IMO. No crowds, no lines and open terrain and most importantly we were making turns!

Loaded for the season - was happy to see this again!
IMG_0510.JPG

A little foggy I would say
FullSizeRender.jpg

Best turns were in this area
IMG_0502.jpg

Our ride back down - felt weird
IMG_0506.JPG

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, too bad you weren't there Friday, when the weather was gorgeous. $22 per is pretty sweet though. Yeah, I remember the first time I rode a chair down, it does feel weird.

HD333

Nice. We were there getting settled into the condo and decided not to ski on Sunday. I'm kicking myself now, first year in a while without November turns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk