• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 2/10/07

reefer

Quicky here, planning the rest of the week! Mt Snow is in great shape for the outing Friday. Good base everywhere, anything over 10" Wednesday and I'd say they go 100% open (or should). Woods have a foot+ sitting there just waiting for that little extra................If you still have the AZ outing here Friday it will be a lot of fun! I only said Magic cause I'm at Mt. Snow already Wednesday and Saturday this week........variety is a good thing!
Look for my post on Thursday for the latest conditions and rope droppings!!!!!!
Was a great day Saturday. Plummet, Bear Trap, and Fallen Timbers the runs of choice! Had a blast with four friends. Not solo for a change! Found some stashes and the bumps (not my specialty but I have to practice) were firm but gripped well. Music on Bear Trap was very motivating..........
See ya's Friday!

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
Quicky here, planning the rest of the week! Mt Snow is in great shape for the outing Friday. Good base everywhere, anything over 10" Wednesday and I'd say they go 100% open (or should). Woods have a foot+ sitting there just waiting for that little extra................If you still have the AZ outing here Friday it will be a lot of fun! I only said Magic cause I'm at Mt. Snow already Wednesday and Saturday this week........variety is a good thing!
Look for my post on Thursday for the latest conditions and rope droppings!!!!!!
Was a great day Saturday. Plummet, Bear Trap, and Fallen Timbers the runs of choice! Had a blast with four friends. Not solo for a change! Found some stashes and the bumps (not my specialty but I have to practice) were firm but gripped well. Music on Bear Trap was very motivating..........
See ya's Friday!

Awsome update and nice pics. Those bumps look pretty mellow right now - drop a foot of fresh in there and we'll be exploding through those troughs on Friday!
:spread:

So - it's been many years since I skied Snow when it's 100%. What/where are the natural runs? In addition to the bumps, I'd be up for some not-too-tight trees as well if the surface holds up. reefer - sounds like you're emerging as the official AZ gethering tour guide! :) We expect a fast-paced tour of all the good stuff so I'm happy to hear you'll be researching heavily this week. Might be fun to have somebody plan a route and we just follow you.

reefer

Good observation, bumps were mellow, good for me to practice on. Bump pics were very early so they already increased in size by afternoon, but nothing serious. Set up nice for Friday as you stated. I'll make a list of trails to hit. I'll know Thursday what's open. To get you thinking, they probably will not touch - Fallen Timbers, Ripcord, Jaws, Olympic, Challanger on the North Face. Ledges and Uncles on the Main face. They do a good job of posting what's been groomed in the lodge.
For woods - you'll love Sap Tapper and Fantastics on the main face. Claim Jumper kind of mellow but maybe worth a run at Carinthia. Epiphany on the north Face is nice.
Gets tight in the Trials and don't do the plunge on the north Face. I should be there so you shouldn't have to do much thinking.................................

Last edited:

Newpylong

I love the woods at Mount Snow. I find a lot of other areas are too tight and steep for my liking.... Plummet was awesome yesterday. Can't beat Jaws too after a good dump. Talk about an old school trail. Olympic is great too. I will be there Wed. if the snow comes down. Anyone up for some turns??? Gotta get the runs in before I'm blacked out on the weekend.

Good assessment on what will be left alone. One More Time and Drop on the main face as well. Great runs...

Newpylong

No, you can show up Friday and get sloppy seconds. I will be there Wed or Thur, whichever gets the dump. I am leaning Wed. so my tracks gets covered. I will be sick one of those days.

2knees

whoa, i wasnt trying to boost your pow, a bunch of us are going friday. I think i am ignorant to the lure of real powder days sometimes.

Newpylong

haha no you took that the wrong way... Friday would be great to meet up with you guys.. after seeing you rip the bumps on that video, I could learn a thing or two! After this year though, I am just going outof my mind for the real stuff. I am the last person to horde pow too, i rather share with company.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I'm jealous...I have to work...I'd love to ski and meet up with some of you guys. Plus, I too, am very familiar with Mt. Snow. Other than Magic, its got the best terrain south of K-mart. If you know where to go.

Gregg, natural trails you should hit are: All of the woods if skiable: Trials, epiphany, plunge, sap tapper, even the boonies are fun. PDF and Jaws on the northface and olympic, but its kind of flat (used to be a blue square years ago). Front face you should hit uncles. Ski the Sundance chair if crowds are large. Fixed and slow but no lines. And it services uncles..great old school no snowmaking trail. Ridge is a great wide open cruiser for high spd gs'ers and the fantastics are the woods between. Beartrap for bumps, albeit short, if sunbrook lift is open the woods over there are fun...enter from the trail under the lift...and you could always hit canyon, choke and ledge for some nice narrow cruisers from the top on the main face.

Greg

Staff member
I think i am ignorant to the lure of real powder days sometimes.

I'm with ya. I love skiing during storms, but I have no problem waiting until Friday to ski leftover powder, crud and soft powdery bumps in the sun and with no wind. Us SNE skiers aren't picky...

drjeff

They mowed down the bumps on Fallen Timbers Sunday night, but Plummet was filling in nicely and Bear trap was setting up really nice. Those pics were great, but you just can't believe how nice a snow surface that man-made is/will be as a base. definately something to be said for making snow when its less than 10 degrees out and then not running any cats over it for 10+days :D

For trees, some of my favorites with good spacing and not too crazy a pitch would be The Trials (out past Olympic on the North face - when you enter off of Olympic, traverse way out to the ski area boundry markers - its worth it!), also Sap tapper on the main face (next to ego alley - stay to skiers right) should be real nice.