• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most obscure ski/board brands you've owned

Rushski

I also had Raichle boots (RX8, rear-entry, air pump that deflated during the day). And also Hanson Cobras.

dlague

I skied Mad Russian skis last spring. You won't find those everywhere! Nice ride.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Anyone remember how these were supposed to be the future of skiing?

attachment.php

There is a pair of these on the Wall of the summit lodge at Hunter in the museum.

gorgonzola

I ski'd hexcels and RD (Research Dynamics) coyotes in the 80's/90's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makimono

Yama Tool V2 Monoboard (the Skwal next to it is pretty obscure too). The Yama was handmade by Mike Lish (of 333 infamy) around 1998 or so. Meant to be a carving monoski, the flex of the legs is adjustable depending how tight you stretch the cable that connects them. I never really got the hang of carving on it, but the Yama/Coda crew at Mammoth would lay it right over and do true armpit to armpit carving on it. Before moving on to start 333 Skis Lish sold the company to his longtime apprentice Chad Hauck who changed the name to Coda and makes a full line of custom boards and skis, mostly still swallow tail, including a swallow tail Skwal which is probably about as obscure as it gets. https://www.codaboards.com/

20151212_175232_zpscbb1uue7.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
We've had this conversation. I had the High Society Free Ride 179. They were mostly useless. Extremely slow edge to edge even for a 92 waist ski, no float. I tried to find a use for them, but they just really didn't excel at anything.

Cannonball

High society free ride 187s. I defended them but honestly they are tanks.

Surface Live Life's. Good poor man's powder skis.

Are either of these "obscure"? I see Surface skis everywhere and Live Life's have to be one of their most popular models. High Society seem to also be a pretty mainstream brand (REI even sells them). They are a small company but they get pretty high ratings in mainstream mags like Skiing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
At the time I bought the High Societies (5/6 years ago), you didn't see them anywhere. I think I found them on ebay direct from the manufacturer. I had no idea they were available at REI.

Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but the only Surface skis I've ever seen or heard people use are Xwhaler and catsup

xwhaler

The park rats use Surface I see on occasion. I rarely see all mtn skiers on Surface....mine being the Watch Life.
I've enjoyed mine and have gotten 75+ days on them (77 to be exact I guess) over the last 3 seasons. There is no camber or rocker on them...basically a flat, heavy, stiff ski at 100 underfoot.
They are stable carving at speed though so work okay for groomers.

Ultimately though they are too stiff/heavy for a daily use EC ski (trees/bumps) so have now been retired to deep powder day status---hopefully I get to use them this yr!