• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Wachusett 2/12

montvm

Date(s) Hiked:2/12 today.

Trails(s) Hiked:Ascend via Echo Lake Trail/ High Meadow Trail/Jack Frost Trail to summit. Descend via Harrington Trail/ Lower Link Trail/ Jack Frost Trail/ High Meadow Trail/Echo lake trail.

Total Distance:Aprox. 3 miles.

Difficulty:Easy to moderate

Conditions:Some snow, some ice, some bear spots.

Special Required Equipment:Ice Stabilizers could have been used but bear booting was easy enough, Wind Proof Jacket.

Trip Report:Decided to stay some what local. I have wanted to go back to he whites or hike something more substantial, but time has not been on my side. Decided to hike Wachusett Mt.. I have done this hike 4 or 5 different times but never in the winter. Actually after hiking it today I would have to say that it is 100 times better in the winter. NO CROWDS!!!!!!! Echo Lake trail was relatively easy, high Meadow trail was really unique, as the name suggests it goes through a small meadow after coming out of the woods. Trails where all well marked, and there where actually maps at the gate of the trail head!

Start time was 8:30ish, reached the summit by 10. Hung out there for a while and was back at my car by noon time. Just a nice walk in the woods. Highly recomended!

Pics are here!

Trail Head
2003_0309Wachuesett0008.JPG

High Meadow Trail Sign
2003_0309Wachuesett0011.JPG

High Meadow, on the Ascent
2003_0309Wachuesett0016.JPG

Summit Photo
2003_0309Wachuesett0027.JPG

Second Summit Photo
2003_0309Wachuesett0024.JPG

Mid-State Trail Sign at summit
2003_0309Wachuesett0029.JPG

Upper Meadow Trail descending into the Meadow
2003_0309Wachuesett0036.JPG

COBOL Blue Sky
2003_0309Wachuesett0039.JPG

Last edited:

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Oh man, When I lived in CMASS I used to hike this bad boy all the time. I hiked it so many times I stopped keeping track :) Never did every variation of the trails, but came close. I used to hike Mountain house barefoot, backwards, you name it 8)

I still call it "Monadnock Jr" as there are quite a few similarities (except no bald top)

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Oh believe me, Wachusett gets crowded :) especially with the auto road. but like everything with Wachusett its "Junior sized" compared to Monadnock :) I have had it to myself a few times tho, but then again the same is true with Monadnock...

montvm

Oh believe me, Wachusett gets crowded :) especially with the auto road. but like everything with Wachusett its "Junior sized" compared to Monadnock :) I have had it to myself a few times tho, but then again the same is true with Monadnock...

Yeah deffinatly Jr. sized compared to Manadnock, speaking of which that is another one that I have not done in the winter yet, maybe that will be next.....