• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 12/12

Savemeasammy

I took my eight year old with me to Killington. We were on snow shortly after 10, and started on the Snowdon Quad. The snow was already softening, and skied nicely where it wasn't scraped down to ice. It was VERY busy on the trails, but lift lines were under 10 minutes, and of course thinned out after lunch. Both snowdon and superstar were a few minutes at most.

We skied much of what was open, but IMO the best skiing was on snowdon where it was softest. There were bumps on bunny buster by the poma, mouse trap, and lower chute. That was the run of the day. Of course, with the heavy traffic and soft snow, bumps were popping up everywhere - even great northern. We took a run on bittersweet. The snow was loose granular, and bumps were found on the edges here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1450010159.751779.jpg
Biggest line we saw. North Ridge.

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1450010200.377430.jpg
My son insisted on skiing Downdraft Headwall. With a sign like that, what eight year old could resist?!

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1450010605.021331.jpg
View from the base. Pretty sad for December.

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1450010661.568682.jpg
Lower Chute. The bumps were better organized further up, but they were nice spring-skiing hero bumps.

steamboat1

Hope it holds up for this week. Weather looks kind of fugly looking forward, rain & warmth. By the way Bittersweet is not open. You most likely were skiing Skyelark. Only other trails open over there are upper Supe & lower Skyehawk which both go into Skyelark. Glad you enjoyed your day. I'm hoping for the best later this week.

Savemeasammy

By the way Bittersweet is not open. You most likely were skiing Skyelark.

Oops. I didn't pay attention to the signs. There was only one route open, so that's what we took! If the snow was softer, we would have skied it more.

I also hope it holds up this week, since k is a possibility for me on Sunday. They are doing what they can, but the lack of cold is a pisser. I'll admit that I'm enjoying the mild days, though.

Scruffy

I was there this weekend also. Great skiing on the very limited terrain. Skyelark offered the best bumps today, after it softened up- morning was bullet proof. It's wearing away fast though. Today, many rocks showing and the snow was the color of the last day of spring, mud snow... They won't be able to make snow this week, so look for some closings before more openings. It's a sad start to the season.

Domeskier

I don't normally read non-northeast trip reports, but this looks sweet! Did you try out the Kendos in those bumps? I've been thinking about following your lead and maybe getting a pair of mid-fats (is that what the kids call them?).

Savemeasammy

Oops. Didn't realize I posted in the wrong forum... I did it from my phone.

I had my f17s, but I did have the kendos at Sunday River and found a few bumps. They were fine - not as responsive as the bump skis. I need to ski them some more to get a better feel.

Domeskier

Oops. Didn't realize I posted in the wrong forum... I did it from my phone.

I had my f17s, but I did have the kendos at Sunday River and found a few bumps. They were fine - not as responsive as the bump skis. I need to ski them some more to get a better feel.

I bet the Kendos would have ripped those bumps right in half this weekend!