• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Screw it, off to Utah

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It was just OK out here. Now is getting better, but still pretty thin. Feel free to send me a PM for ideas/tips for SLC, Snowbird, etc. Not going to Alta?

This is what my buddy said yesterday. He said most of the good stuff off piste at Alta is still pretty dangerous with rocks, etc. The Avy danger has been pretty high too he said, but they were/are still able to find some fresh low angle backcountry to ski.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I dont blame you at all. Things are good in the sierra also for the first time in a long time. If one were to want to check out tahoe i have a feeling this is the year

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

+ 1. Tahoe has had more snow than us so far.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Go West young man go West. For the past 6 years we've skied with a large group in Stowe in the middle of December. Last weekend was the weekend. It was April in December with not much open. Still had fun. Last year there was a ton of terrain and mid-winter conditions; we even skied some natural snow stuff like Freddy's Chute. Hopefully things will turn around in the East, but I don't see any big changes in the next couple of weeks. The West is getting the goods so so go, go, go if you can.
My first trip to $teaux is usually the beginning of January. Probably postpone that until later in the month.

crank

We are heading to SLC on the 25th. I am thinking the Utah areas may be a bit more crowded this holiday week as easterners like us bail on our region. Plan to ski Alta because we have MCP passes and will also likely spend a few days with some friends in Ogden and ski Powder Mtn and Snowbasin assuming there is good snow and a decent amount of terrain open.

thetrailboss

Staff member
We are heading to SLC on the 25th. I am thinking the Utah areas may be a bit more crowded this holiday week as easterners like us bail on our region. Plan to ski Alta because we have MCP passes and will also likely spend a few days with some friends in Ogden and ski Powder Mtn and Snowbasin assuming there is good snow and a decent amount of terrain open.

FWIW Pow Mow just opened and is offering limited terrain. Snowbasin is a better bet, as of right now. The storms did not really hit Pow Mow.

There were crowds this past weekend at Alta and Snowbird due to the fact that we have limited terrain open right now.

mbedle

First trip to Stowe this year is right after New Years. Can't back out of the hotel, at least it will be on a season pass. They blew some more snow last night and this weekend should be pretty good for snow making.

jaybird

Already have more there than they had most of last year.
Bring some home ... natives are restless.

snoseek

Already have more there than they had most of last year.
Bring some home ... natives are restless.
So im told that heavenly has recieved more snow in the past month than all of last ski season, which makes sense as gunbarrel never opened at all last year and was skiing nice today. Still hitting granite in certain trees and firebreak os still nogo.

KustyTheKlown

Taking the Gulfstream, I presume?

a frugal non-skiing day to day lifestyle, a little advance planning, good management of credit card mileage, multi mountain season pass purchased in the middle of summer, and friends couches to stay on for free go a long way.

Another foot fell last night!

snoseek

Hell yeah utahs grtting it!