• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Screw it, off to Utah

KustyTheKlown

Sugarloaf/Sunday River Airbnb cancelled.

SLC flight booked. SLC couch secured. Snowbird 12/25 ticket liftopia'd. Brighton MAX Pass 12/26-28.

December in the east, officially surrendered.

Puck it

I am thinking the same thing. Go west young man. I two weeks of shutdown and free tix on Southwest or Delta.

snoseek

I dont blame you at all. Things are good in the sierra also for the first time in a long time. If one were to want to check out tahoe i have a feeling this is the year

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Sugarloaf/Sunday River Airbnb cancelled.

SLC flight booked. SLC couch secured. Snowbird 12/25 ticket liftopia'd. Brighton MAX Pass 12/26-28.

December in the east, officially surrendered.

I don't get it. None of the steep stuff in Utah will be open at Christmas. Brighton, Snowbird, and Alta all have ~1/3 of there terrain open. Park City has less than 1/2 of the mountain open. Of course those numbers will go up by Christmas, but you won't have any steep lines open. Still rock season there too. If I'm going to spend $1,500 on going out to Utah to escape the East, no matter how bad things are at home, I'm waiting till the mountains out there are 100% open.

With that being said, in six weeks time things will probably be sublime.

snoseek

Idk they just got hammered with snow yesterday. I imagine stuff will open quickly. We will be 100 percent this weekend at kwood.

snoseek

uploadfromtaptalk1450217302900.jpg[emoji1]

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't get it. None of the steep stuff in Utah will be open at Christmas. Brighton, Snowbird, and Alta all have ~1/3 of there terrain open. Park City has less than 1/2 of the mountain open. Of course those numbers will go up by Christmas, but you won't have any steep lines open. Still rock season there too. If I'm going to spend $1,500 on going out to Utah to escape the East, no matter how bad things are at home, I'm waiting till the mountains out there are 100% open.

With that being said, in six weeks time things will probably be sublime.

If you've got the time and money and want to ski, who cares?

Maybe steep lines don't matter to him. Maybe he can afford multiple trips.

I'm sure whatever they have going on out there is better than what's available here. I say good for him.

Savemeasammy

If I didn't think my wife would kill me, I would drop everything and head to Tahoe.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

ScottySkis

Utah is much much cheaper then other places. Lucky have a blast in Utah Solitude is good place to I jealous.

KustyTheKlown

FYI, I only spent $440 (not "$1500"). $380 flight. $60 snowbird ticket. Lodging, ground transit, and skiing other than snowbird are free/on my pass. And they are going to open a ton of terrain with the 2 foot dump yesterday, with a few more inches basically every day through Xmas. I was going to spend the same money on gas and lodging in New England, and would have been miserable. Not skiing at all was not an option (i've got a 40 ski day goal that must be hit, after all, and i have the time off from work).

My other free lodging option was in Tahoe, but only borreal is on my max pass, so I would have spent $289 on a squaw 4 pack, plus much more expensive ground transport.

And I'm not blowing my load early. I'm back in SLC Jan 15-19, and in CO Feb 5-13. March/April big sky tbd

Last edited:

snoseek

Yeah slc is quick, cheap, easy and wicked good. Stuff will open quick.

snoseek

If I didn't think my wife would kill me, I would drop everything and head to Tahoe.

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
Lodging plus sub 50 dollar kirkwood tix dude.

Also if interest is your old local hill over in incline had a weird snow band set up on the last wave and it dropped over 2 feet just because. Diamond peak just about doubled every else including kwood. That doesnt happen too often.

RISkier

Go West young man go West. For the past 6 years we've skied with a large group in Stowe in the middle of December. Last weekend was the weekend. It was April in December with not much open. Still had fun. Last year there was a ton of terrain and mid-winter conditions; we even skied some natural snow stuff like Freddy's Chute. Hopefully things will turn around in the East, but I don't see any big changes in the next couple of weeks. The West is getting the goods so so go, go, go if you can.

KustyTheKlown

Go West young man go West. For the past 6 years we've skied with a large group in Stowe in the middle of December. Last weekend was the weekend. It was April in December with not much open. Still had fun. Last year there was a ton of terrain and mid-winter conditions; we even skied some natural snow stuff like Freddy's Chute. Hopefully things will turn around in the East, but I don't see any big changes in the next couple of weeks. The West is getting the goods so so go, go, go if you can.

yep, facebook cruelly reminded me today that i skied powder this day last two seasons.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was just OK out here. Now is getting better, but still pretty thin. Feel free to send me a PM for ideas/tips for SLC, Snowbird, etc. Not going to Alta?

thetrailboss

Staff member
And you're right that the pattern has changed and we are set to get more snow over the next few days. :snow:

KustyTheKlown

It was just OK out here. Now is getting better, but still pretty thin. Feel free to send me a PM for ideas/tips for SLC, Snowbird, etc. Not going to Alta?

Maybe Alta on the 28th. My buddy has to work that day so I haven't made a decision on where to ski yet and how to get there. I've been to Alta/Bird before. Snowbird just had the better liftopia deal for Christmas Day. I'm coming back in January for 4 ski days so all 5 Brighton days will get used, with some Alta Snowbird mixed in.

KustyTheKlown

Open Snow speculating about big time stuff in the Cottonwoods leading up to Christmas. I think I made a good decision.