• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Western skiing stoke (dreamin')

Talisman

Big Sky got another 6-8 inches last night over the 18 inches that fell over the previous 48 hours and more is coming tonight. Conditions were very good today, especially if you enjoy powder. "Only" 3,500 acres are open and some complain the steep stuff off the tram isn't open yet. Avalanche danger is very high and a back country skier was killed yesterday in a slide over near Cook City, MT, so it isn't all sunshine and lemon drops.

skiNEwhere

Big storm coming through Colorado. Some areas will see 1-2 feet while others could see 2-3 feet+

More to come later since this storm is still a little ways out

KustyTheKlown

off to utah on thursday. ~50" last week. 10" last night. 40+" to come by wednesday. thursday-saturdy a colder light snow will put almost a foot of champagne on top of the heavier wetter snow falling right now. gonna be epic.

Huck_It_Baby

Keystone on Saturday. Skied untracked in the trees and hike-to terrain all morning.

Lots more snow coming! yay!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20151219_103302.jpg
    20151219_103302.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 186

Huck_It_Baby

Picture can't do it justice unless that is really that flat.

I don't follow. Flat light or flat terrain? If you are on small mobile screen you prob can't see all the powder tracks which is why I posted.

Pics never do it justice.

skiNEwhere

Utah getting POUNDED. Trailboss, I hope you were able to call in sick today

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1450792299.177407.jpg

Weird to see LCC with lower numbers than BCC

VTKilarney

If you look around, you can find a promotion for the Southwest Airline Visa card that gives you 50,000 miles. That makes for a very cheap trip out west for those who are complaining about the cost.

crank

We used miles and flying Christmas day and New Year's Eve it was not a lot of miles. Staying in Sandy for $100 pre night. Rental car with miles. 2 days at Alta/Bird with no blackout days paid for with out Mountain Collective passes plus 50% off all days after that. An inexpensive getaway make possible by lots of business travel.

Escaping the dreary east and heading for lots and lots of snow - priceless!

My hope is that portions of Alta and Snowbird will have been closed for avalanche control and will be opening up on or after our first day. Otherwise we will be hard pressed to find untracked snow...no matter it will be soft and plentiful!

KustyTheKlown

We used miles and flying Christmas day and New Year's Eve it was not a lot of miles. Staying in Sandy for $100 pre night. Rental car with miles. 2 days at Alta/Bird with no blackout days paid for with out Mountain Collective passes plus 50% off all days after that. An inexpensive getaway make possible by lots of business travel.

Escaping the dreary east and heading for lots and lots of snow - priceless!

My hope is that portions of Alta and Snowbird will have been closed for avalanche control and will be opening up on or after our first day. Otherwise we will be hard pressed to find untracked snow...no matter it will be soft and plentiful!

snowbird has been holding a lot of stuff back. they aren't reporting anywhere near 100% terrain yet and haven't any day. alta seems to have more open. and brighton seems to have everything open. i'm really hoping snowbird drops ropes like crazy on friday when i arrive, and not on thursday or saturday when i won't be there.

crank

snowbird has been holding a lot of stuff back. they aren't reporting anywhere near 100% terrain yet and haven't any day. alta seems to have more open. and brighton seems to have everything open. i'm really hoping snowbird drops ropes like crazy on friday when i arrive, and not on thursday or saturday when i won't be there.

Went out early January season before last with a similar weather pattern. Not much base, on the heel of a big storm. Skied Alta first and all of Greeley had been closed for extensive avalanche control. Lots of powder burns, lots of slide paths and lots of untracked snow in between. Snowbird opened Mineral basin the next day. Snow was a bit variable and slabby in spots but still nice to have a large area to make tracks a full 3 days after the storm.

KustyTheKlown

greetings from SLC

yesterday was a total white-out powder day at the bird. 8" on the stake at 7:30 AM and snowing steadily all day long. epic powder everywhere. mineral basin was not open yet (they opened it today). on thursday, there was a massive inbounds slide under gad2 triggered by a patron during operating hours, so lots of the steeper gad2 terrain was closed. still tons of options for gladed and steep skiing in powder.

today brighton. i had never been and generally really liked it there. only downside are relatively short runs (great western is decent with 1700 vertical, but the other chairs only get you about 1300). but what a beauitful bluebird day, with ample leftover powder hiding in the trees. i didnt expect to love the crest terrain (center of the map), but the lack of steeps/black terrain over there meant the trees were still in totally impeccable shape. some amazing powder tree skiing today.

since last sunday - brighton 70", bird 63", alta 59"

brighton again tomorrow, alta monday. bluebird forecasts. so glad i came out here. and so glad to see things starting to look better in the eastern forecasts.