• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe's Stone Hut Burns

MEtoVTSkier

More likely that proper stove maintenance and pipe replacement was not performed. Seen it often on the local FD. The pipe doesn't last forever, no matter what it looks like on the outside. They are lucky it didn't catch with people sleeping inside. Just because it was left going, shouldn't have caused a fire, or everyone that owns one would have burned their house/camp down by now.

mbedle

Stupid mistake, easily made by someone that has no knowledge of operating a wood stove safely. Hopefully the mortar did not get too damaged and the rest can be easily rebuilt for next season. New and improved with a big warning sign next to the stove...

mbedle

More likely that proper stove maintenance and pipe replacement was not performed. Seen it often on the local FD. The pipe doesn't last forever, no matter what it looks like on the outside. They are lucky it didn't catch with people sleeping inside. Just because it was left going, shouldn't have caused a fire, or everyone that owns one would have burned their house/camp down by now.

It wasn't the fact that the left it open, it was the fact that they left wood up against the stove. Leaving the door open would have resulted in an extremely high temp on the stove, that ultimately caught the wood outside the stove on fire.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Stupid mistake, easily made by someone that has no knowledge of operating a wood stove safely. Hopefully the mortar did not get too damaged and the rest can be easily rebuilt for next season. New and improved with a big warning sign next to the stove...

Wouldn't be surprised if it is replaced with a gas stove. Seems today that all new stoves installed in public places are gas, not wood.

BenedictGomez

The first family of snowboarding was renting the historic Stone Hut atop Mount Mansfield when it burned down Christmas Eve, but it remains to be seen if they’ll be involved in helping get the hut rebuilt.

Jake Carpenter, founder of Burton Snowboards, had the place reserved when it burned down in the early morning hours of Dec. 24, according to Vermont State Police.

Carpenter wasn’t responsible for causing the fire — police say his sons and their friends accidentally caused it — but he had the place rented for the whole week.

Four things come to mind after reading this article.

1) How long did it take for the Burton connection to publicly come to light? I hadn't heard this until now.

2) It's a competitive lottery, and a very famous local family pulls what it literally the most sought after week of the year. Could be 100% coincidences & good fortune. Could be 100% shenanigans.

3) Clan Burton is rich as hell, they SERIOUSLY didn't offer to rebuild this treasure that they destroyed?

4) See below. Not a Rhodes Scholar.

“A few of the pieces were placed at an angle where the tip of the wood was against the stove and made a ‘hissing’ sound as the snow began to melt against it"

mbedle

Four things come to mind after reading this article.

1) How long did it take for the Burton connection to publicly come to light? I hadn't heard this until now.

2) It's a competitive lottery, and a very famous local family pulls what it literally the most sought after week of the year. Could be 100% coincidences & good fortune. Could be 100% shenanigans.

3) Clan Burton is rich as hell, they SERIOUSLY didn't offer to rebuild this treasure that they destroyed?

4) See below. Not a Rhodes Scholar.

1. It was known at Stowe the week after it happened.
2. That also seemed very fishy to me. How are they getting so lucky to get the place every year for a week and sometimes two.
3. My guess is a liability issue and an offer wouldn't come until it was ruled an accident.
4. Got to agree with that comment.

ironhippy

only legit I can see is if everyone in the family is entering the lottery (I have no idea what is involved in entering). So rather than having one chance in a 1000 (or whatever), they might have 10 - 15 or more (including cousins and uncles and stuff) which increases their odds significantly.
I don't doubt shenanigans though, just thinking out loud.

Another thing that struck me was this

“figured if there was a fire, it had already happened,” and it would take them about two hours to get to it.

I wonder what they did instead

deadheadskier

Staff member
One thought on how they win is Burton is a large company. They could have a bunch of employees enter to increase odds

Scruffy

http://www.stowetoday.com/stowe_rep...-8c62-4784b50c1867.html?_dc=966248795855.7904
"
Snyder said that, if the Carpenters “want to play a part in helping” get the hut rebuilt, they’re welcome to. But he said it wouldn’t be appropriate if the Burton/Carpenter brand were allowed to lead the charge, especially since so many different people are already offering their help, and since the place is managed by the Department of Forests.

“It’s owned by the people of Vermont, by statute,” Snyder said. "

I think it would be more than appropriate for Carpenter(Burton) to lead the "charge" financially for their gross misconduct! But, I would not want them to take advantage of the situation and get the hut renamed the Burton Hut, or some sh$t like that, or even mount a Burton snowborad above the mantle. There is no excuse for the kids not knowing about fire/stove safety, if they were allowed to be responsible for the cabin for any length of time. Maybe a little less time traveling the world riding, and little more time on the basics of life, and we would be celebrating that 80 year old mark. You can rebuild, but forever lost is the original character of the place.

Hawkshot99

The one possible reason I am ok with the family not offering to pay for a new hut YET, is legal. They may be waiting till any legal charges or something are decided. If they are charged, and try to fight the charges, its kinda hard when you have already admitted you were at fault and paid for a new building.
However, after any charges are decided, I hope they step foward.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

It was known at Stowe the week after it happened.

The stories seem to intimate this is a recently known development? Media claiming the story "broke this week" etc....

I think it would be more than appropriate for Carpenter(Burton) to lead the "charge" financially for their gross misconduct! But, I would not want them to take advantage of the situation and get the hut renamed the Burton Hut, or some sh$t like that, or even mount a Burton snowborad above the mantle. There is no excuse for the kids not knowing about fire/stove safety, if they were allowed to be responsible for the cabin for any length of time. Maybe a little less time traveling the world riding, and little more time on the basics of life, and we would be celebrating that 80 year old mark. You can rebuild, but forever lost is the original character of the place.

That's where my head's at.

Knowing now that they were involved, I'm pretty shocked they didn't immediately volunteer to rebuild the place. And only pledging $100,000? Please. If it costs $650,000 to rebuild, the Carpenter family should foot the entire bill for their irresponsibility. Clan Carpenter (Burton) may know snowboards, but they sure dont know PR. I could easily see this hurting Burton's business if they dont get this under wraps soon.