• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe's Stone Hut Burns

VTKilarney

The state gives preferences to reservation requests that are long in duration. I don't think that they cheated. They took advantage of the rules as written. But that doesn't make what they did morally right.

It looks like they are in full damage control mode right now. I'm sure that the insurance company would go after them anyway. If I were them I'd be working out a deal with the insurance company and making it look like it's a donation.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The state gives preferences to reservation requests that are long in duration. I don't think that they cheated. They took advantage of the rules as written. But that doesn't make what they did morally right.

Not sure I understand... if I request to stay in the hut all winter I have an advantage? Why wouldn't everyone do that? Are they going to check to make sure I am there?

That seems like a ridiculous way to use public property. But if it is true, I wouldn't call it morally wrong.

VTKilarney

Not sure I understand... if I request to stay in the hut all winter I have an advantage? Why wouldn't everyone do that? Are they going to check to make sure I am there?

That seems like a ridiculous way to use public property. But if it is true, I wouldn't call it morally wrong.
1) Yes, longer requests get higher preference than requests of shorter duration.
2) Everyone does't do it because you have to pay for your reservation. Not everyone can afford to reserve the stone hut for a month or more.
3) Apparently the state does not check who is actually staying at the stone hut, and that is where the state allowed themselves to be games.

Simply put, the state had a lousy system that they had to know was being taken advantage of such that the public was not getting use of a facility intended for use by the public. But the state did nothing to fix the problem.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Is the a logistical reason for favoring long requests? Seems to favor the rich, a crappy way to use public assets, IMO.

What is the pricing per day or week?

VTKilarney

The rate is $225 per night.

I just read the policies here: http://www.vtstateparks.com/pdfs/StoneHut15_16.pdf

It looks like there is more to the story than the Carpenters are telling. I was correct that reservations for longer duration get preference. But what I didn't realize is that the maximum reservation is for five nights. Yet, the article above stated that, "For years, the Carpenters have booked the Stone Hut for weeks at a time . . . "

So, yeah, something is definitely fishy about that.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Sorry I didn't google that myself, I assumed it would be taken down with the hut gone.

Giving favor to longer reservations, with a five night max, is legit in my mind.

If those are the rules, it makes the VT Ski and Ride article seem less like puff. Can't believe they would want that published.

BenedictGomez

I agree with BG. They basically admitted that the lottery system is gamed and that it is accepted.

I noticed that. Made me lose faith in the state.

Everyone has their quirks and things they're good at, one of mine if that I can calculate math/stats faster than most people can punch them it into a calculator. I'm familiar with the way the Stone Hut "lottery" works (I'm a repeated loser), and without knowing the specific data, it instantly dawned on me while reading the article, that the standard deviation on winning the #1 most requested week of the year, numerous times, simply by chance, would have to be, well, really quite low. Factor in the info that they're extremely rich and local, and.......well.....you draw the conclusion.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Everyone has their quirks and things they're good at, one of mine if that I can calculate math/stats faster than most people can punch them it into a calculator. I'm familiar with the way the Stone Hut "lottery" works (I'm a repeated loser), and without knowing the specific data, it instantly dawned on me while reading the article, that the standard deviation on winning the #1 most requested week of the year, numerous times, simply by chance, would have to be, well, really quite low. Factor in the info that they're extremely rich and local, and.......well.....you draw the conclusion.

Wonder if they will get any slots now.

KustyTheKlown

i've heard bad things in general about donna, and she sounds pretty terrible in that article, especially her dig at the stowe paper

thetrailboss

Staff member
i've heard bad things in general about donna, and she sounds pretty terrible in that article, especially her dig at the stowe paper

I thought that her using Jake's illness as an excuse was really petty. It is unfortunate that he has been sick, but that does not excuse the kids from their actions.

Brad J

It must be rigged I used to go the third week of March with a group of guys that had been going there for 30 years. They must have a different system than what most people would call a lottery but they call it a lottery

SIKSKIER

They have raise 162,000,of which 150,000 is from Burton.Cant imagine its going to cost much more that that with only the roof and interior needing rebuild.