• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe's Stone Hut Burns

yeggous

They have raise 162,000,of which 150,000 is from Burton.Cant imagine its going to cost much more that that with only the roof and interior needing rebuild.

Is the hut accessible by road? Or is it a helicopter ride for large supplies?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

If large SUV's can make it I'm sure small supply trucks could to.

Yeah, even if a pickup truck can get up that should be enough. With a forklift at both ends you should be able to shuttle everything in a full size pickup.

steamboat1

I don't see it being a problem for a small truck making it up the road. At about 4:55 you can see the short road to where the top of the Forerunner chair & the hut is.

Last edited:

doublediamond

You're going to need something a tad bit bigger than a pickup to get the logs for the roof up. I can't see the logs passing the turns at either 1:18 or between 2:57-3:06.

BWDIK

deadheadskier

Staff member
They should go old school and drag the logs they need out of the woods off Goat where all the blow down occurred from that microburst a few years ago!

cdskier

Then how the hell did they build it to begin with?

I always think about things like this when hiking along the long trail and seeing some of the buildings that are quite a considerable distance from any roads. Pretty impressive what was done in the past by hand without using trucks to bring all your materials directly to the spot where you need them.

mbedle

Considering they built the summit house 60 years before the stone hut, I don't think they will have any issues getting materials up to the hut.

mbedle

Considering that there is a 100K deductible on the insurance plan, that pretty sticks Burton with the whole cost.

BenedictGomez

My guess is it will come in under budget.

I sure hope so.

Clan Burton's already been publicly disgraced enough in this matter via their influence peddling, and irresponsible behavior leading to this disaster, the least they could do is 100% pay for the rebuild.

steamboat1

I never knew there is a large building probably about the size of the Mansfield base lodge near the top of the chin where the radio/tv towers are. Saw it last week after hiking up there. You can't see it from the ski area.